Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 1 Apr 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2430332)   #26
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Numbers?

Apologies for being a real "newbie" here and perhaps there is something that I am unaware of but there seems to be quite a bit of debate/dispute about allocated championship and race numbers and about drivers with identical numbers having to defer to what is considered the priority series.

There are currently about 50 drivers registered for the NW & MS championships combined. The National series of course overlays both championships. Surely the obvious solution would be to allocate numbers 1 through to 99 regardless of which championship a driver registers for and that way there could never be any dispute when a driver from the MS and the NW enters the same event or am I being completely daft? Apologies if I am!! (and if I am I'll get me coat)
Old 1 Apr 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2430353)   #27
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back whitewash

FFfan
What you say appears logical, but even the 1 - 99 system has happened in the past and still they weren't happy.
You wouldn't believe the 'importance' some drivers attach to their number. We've had a meeting with a couple of drivers to thrash out a solution to their squabble. We even had one driver who stopped racing because he couldn't have the number he wanted.
It appears crazy, but true.

I'm old enough to remember when the first race on a programme was numbered 1- 30, the second race 31 - 60 etc. If you were in the last race you could be number 216.
Also, they didn't have self adhesive vinyl numbers in those days, just a signwriting bloke at scrutineering with a tub of whitewash and a brush. "What number are you today young man?" followed by a swift flourish of his bristles. This worked fine for all cars - except the white ones. In this case, there was a tub of blackwash and another brush on standby.

I've often wondered if the correct word for the opposite of whitewash is blackwash, but both words are probably totally not politically correct nowadays.