Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Is Jason Plato the best BTCC driver ever?
Yes he is. 11 14.67%
No he isn't. 64 85.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Oct 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2559603)   #26
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far too dirty even to come into consideration, IMHO....
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2559639)   #27
M30TGV
Rookie

United Kingdom
M30TGV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll jump on that bandwagon. I happen to like Plato - his "style" of barging past seems fine because it's acceptable to an extent in touring cars and is one of the appeals to me of that type of racing. But if you can overtake, win races and championships without the need for resorting to nudging your opponents every single time (take a bow Mr Turkington - the BTCC's only ever gentleman champion?!), then no, JP is not the best.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2559641)   #28
Muttley61
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bexley, Kent.
Muttley61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bert Mk2 and bdWoody are absolutely right! If any of the modern day drivers were at a club meeting they would be excluded from the meeting and maybe the next one or even the series with their poor driving.
I've been watching British saloon car racing since the mid sixties and these guys would probably be part of a flyover somewhere by now.
But us club racers are not TV Stars nor do we get paid shed loads of money plus these so called professional drivers don't have to fix or pay for the repairs themselves!
Maybe a points andmoney fine may make them see sence oops forgot about the TV.
It's about entertainment not driving skills so we'll see no change unless spectators get to understand what genuine good driving is!!!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2559648)   #29
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with a few of the others here, Plato uses dirty tactics too often. If nudging cars out the way is considered good driving then Plato (and Matt Neal) can be considered good, otherwise...
Old 18 Oct 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2563526)   #30
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jasons a hard racer but the problem with this is he has attracked too many enemies on track and goes for moves at times that require barging tactics rather than fair play overtaking.

Thompson, Giovanardi from the BTCC are in a different league to him as they are both able to adapt to other series and win but more importantly are respected by fellow competitors.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 08:37 (Ref:2563551)   #31
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Thompson, Giovanardi from the BTCC are in a different league to him as they are both able to adapt to other series and win but more importantly are respected by fellow competitors.
I think Jason's in the same league as Thommo and Gio. I've no doubt that he'd be a front runner in the WTCC if went there.

By the way, I wonder why Jason hasn't voted for himself in the poll here... maybe he doesn't think he's the best ever BTCC driver
Old 18 Oct 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2563571)   #32
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I think Jason's in the same league as Thommo and Gio. I've no doubt that he'd be a front runner in the WTCC if went there.
IMO, Jason is in the same league as Thommo and Gio, but only when it comes to racing in the BTCC. His methods and tactics allow him moderate success in the BTCC, although at times he does find difficulty.

Thommo and Gio's styles are not perfect for BTCC so they also suffer at times.

In other series though, Gio and Thommo can excel, whereas I feel Jason would come undone very quickly - a reason for him to stick to BTCC I think.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2563574)   #33
Frailloop
Rookie

Frailloop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
His methods and tactics allow him moderate success in the BTCC
The BTCC has became a crashfest. Driving standards are, at best, poor. (At least at the front of the field where the cost of the accident damage doesn't matter). I've seen banger racing where the drivers show far more skill - good close races which don't end in the gravel.

His not the best driver. Strong car and the ability to punt the car in front off don't make for a great driver.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2563606)   #34
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he is well down the list IMO
Old 18 Oct 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2563650)   #35
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Plato is down the list.

Overall the quality of driving now has decreased dramatically from 10-12 years ago during the supertouring era.

Id rate Rydell, Cleland, Tarquini, Biela, Winklehock, Menu, Aiello higher, who have achieved success is other series.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2563667)   #36
GOLDFINGER
Racer

GOLDFINGER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont know a great deal about btcc but the save at Paddock this year & the way he dealt with Matt Neal at Snett other year was 1st class. Has he got a drive next year ?
Old 18 Oct 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2563937)   #37
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goldfinger - Yep that car control at Paddock Hill Bend was superb
Old 18 Oct 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2564011)   #38
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superb but control by Plato but he dishes it our more than taking it, agree the BTCC has become a "smash and grab event" , if i were to have the money to put a team into a series the BTCC would be one to avoid due to the driving stadards and inconsistant punishments handed out.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2564608)   #39
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Superb but control by Plato but he dishes it our more than taking it, agree the BTCC has become a "smash and grab event" , if i were to have the money to put a team into a series the BTCC would be one to avoid due to the driving stadards and inconsistant punishments handed out.
Its an incredibly exciting series that's massively popular with fans - when was the last time any domestic racing series in this country managed to muster the level of attendance last time out at Brands ?
Old 9 Nov 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2578718)   #40
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great driver, but the best? Not so sure. But he does draw a crowd.

I just wish he did a bit more thinking off-track. On accepting his runner up award at the BTCC awards, he managed to refer to 'manufacturer bullsh*t', 'sh*t tyres', Steve Neal claiming his car was illegal and his lawsuit with Seat'

I just hope the Clio and Ginetta Junior drivers in the audience take their inspiration from Colin Turkington instead when it comes to handling a situation with dignity....

...but I guess that is why certain types of fan do like Jason.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2578885)   #41
markjtaylor
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Nutfield SURREY
markjtaylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment, he is without doubt pretty special, though not the current Champion. Allways going to be exciting with Plato in the mix. Matt Neil will probably make his vote anonomously!!
Old 12 Nov 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2580840)   #42
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Steady! He is VERY good, but ever! Not been a RWD BTCC Driver for one.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2582061)   #43
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato is a big fish in a small pond, in terms of international championships he barely generates a ripple.

Winklehock, Biela, Tarquini and Menu are driver who I rate, Plato is not in that list and never will be unless he wins foreign championships as well.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 23:47 (Ref:2582115)   #44
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
I do think he would be right up there in WTCC but obviously not had the offers.

he was chasing a Nascar drive 5 or so years back (no chance to break into that as very insular).
Old 14 Nov 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2582117)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember that, his NASCAR dream. I was up for that; he certainly wouldn't have been a big fish in a little pond there!
Old 16 Nov 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2582905)   #46
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
At this rate Button could be in BTCC! 16:00 1th Nov!