Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:10 (Ref:2652383)   #26
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit I am very disappointed - Watching a bunch of 'stars' from other categories co-drive in the same cars we can see at any other circuit in Australia is of no real interest to me & this event has now definitely become a TV only event for me despite being my local round.

I would absolutely have gone to see the GT2 / GT3 cars though and from a economic point of view the class certainly draws a good socio economic group of competitors & followers. I'm sure the benefits, both immediate & ongoing, would have been far greater with this class added to the mix than what is currently planned.

This event has been plagued by incredibly bad management almost from the start & is a perfect example of why we do need competent, inbiased professional management running it. Politician's should stick to kissing babies & putting taxes / rates up whilst giving themselves unrealistic & totally unwarranted massive pay rises (that's what they seem to be good at anyway !!!) & leave sports event management to the professional's.

By the way, has everyone registered on the 'place to race' petition re replacing some of the circuit's that have and are currently being closed in SE Queensland ? We need everyone's support here too..... If you havnt yet registered go to www.placetorace.com.au & register now - THANX
Old 16 Mar 2010, 00:06 (Ref:2653111)   #27
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
100% agree speedreader. I'd have considered attending the event with the GT cars present.

Cochrane reckons this international driver thing appeals to "true motorsport fans". He really has no idea.

I still can't see how this adds an international element that will draw international attention (esp. in the long run).

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 01:06 (Ref:2653149)   #28
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
If GT1 had've turned up I would've been there with bells on.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2653320)   #29
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
damn such a dissapointment!! i was hoping to come home from europe to hopefully see some sport car racing! is the aus gt racing on any tracks in nsw this year?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2653324)   #30
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:37 (Ref:2653329)   #31
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecreek may 29-30
Bathurst oct 7-10
Old 17 Mar 2010, 00:06 (Ref:2653858)   #32
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
I still can't see how this adds an international element that will draw international attention (esp. in the long run).
No shame in not seeing something that doesn't exist.

The Qld Government have been sold the mother of all dummies on this one.
The one thing V8SA does better than anyone in Australia is sell BS.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 03:37 (Ref:2653923)   #33
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
from www.australiangt.com.au

Australian GT 2010 Events

Round 1
Clipsal 500, Adelaide
March 11-14

Round 2
FORMULA 1
Australian Grand Prix, Melbourne
March 25-28

Round 3
Eastern Creek Sportscar Carnival, NSW
May 29-30

Round 4
Phillip Island, VIC
TBC

Round 5
Bathurst 1000, NSW
October 7-10

Round 6
Sandown, VIC
Old 17 Mar 2010, 04:11 (Ref:2653939)   #34
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreader View Post
By the way, has everyone registered on the 'place to race' petition re replacing some of the circuit's that have and are currently being closed in SE Queensland ? We need everyone's support here too..... If you havnt yet registered go to www.placetorace.com.au & register now - THANX
I'm confused by this. The only circuit closure in the last 20 years in South-East Queensland was Lakeside in 2007 (I think?). Lakeside has since re-opened. QR, is what it always has been. Morgan Park is actually expanding.

Archerfield is never going to be more than what it is now, but rumours of its closure have always been rumours, many from competing Speedways in more rural locations and from property speculators. Darlington was never opened as a race circuit. Willowbank is booming if anything. Ipswich Sprint Kart Circuit has just been redeveloped.

Do you mean the old Days Road kart racing circuit? That is a pretty tenuous mention for thread predominantly focussed on GT racing.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2655590)   #35
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In this week's AA there was a story on TC rebuffing reports that they had anything to do with blocking FIA GT moves to attend the Gold Coast event in 2010.

Did any credible source publicly report this allegation as it seems a little odd that such a professional organisation as V8SA would feel the need to rebuff here say?

By V8SA publicly addressing and refuting these rumours does it do little more than actually add weight to the allegation.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2656044)   #36
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Release here DRT - been up on the V8 website since Monday:
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/no-gt1...4/default.aspx

I'd suggest that there may be a lot more noise around the SE Qld area about this so that may have prompted this release. Some people are quick to blame the wrong person (even in this thread some have blamed the lack of GT1 on VESA) so I guess VESA wanted to put the record straight.

As I recall, the report released by the Qld govt did indicate that GT1 had been considered but was not considered to be suitable (or words to that effect). Ultimate decision of course was to hand the event over to the V8 guys to promote.

Personally, I'd still love to see the GT1 cars around there - be a good fit. Reading between the lines, think TC might have a similar view so could be an option for future years. Maybe Mr Ratel is asking for too much gold or something similar and that turned the govt off?
Old 19 Mar 2010, 22:24 (Ref:2656073)   #37
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Personally, I'd still love to see the GT1 cars around there - be a good fit. Reading between the lines, think TC might have a similar view so could be an option for future years. Maybe Mr Ratel is asking for too much gold or something similar and that turned the govt off?
I would like to see the FIA GT1 here in Australia too. Unfortunately, in its present form, it won't be around too much longer. And with Ratel and Cochrane being very similar people, in the way that they control and run their series, I cannot see them being able to co-exist at the same place. Also, I just cannot see that concrete canyon at Surfers lasting much longer, it's a terrible venue for spectators, and just thinking of those beautiful GT1's destroying themselves around that joint isn't good. I live about an hour away from the place but would prefer to drive to Phillip Island or Bathurst to see them in their glory.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 02:05 (Ref:2656989)   #38
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:

As I recall, the report released by the Qld govt did indicate that GT1 had been considered but was not considered to be suitable (or words to that effect). Ultimate decision of course was to hand the event over to the V8 guys to promote.
I'd be amazed if the FIA were considered not suitable in delivering Intertnational exposure yet v8 supercars driven by middle aged former european racers are?

V8SA as promoter surely would have had a say in the categories competing over the weekend, FIA GT included.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 02:28 (Ref:2656997)   #39
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I'd be amazed if the FIA were considered not suitable in delivering Intertnational exposure yet v8 supercars driven by middle aged former european racers are?

V8SA as promoter surely would have had a say in the categories competing over the weekend, FIA GT included.
I think that you miss my point DRT. The Qld govt considered GT1 (and GP2), decided them to be "unsuitable" and then made the decision to go with VESA as promoters of the event.

I, too am surprised that GT1 didn't get a crack but it is a new series this year and maybe Mr Ratel wants too much dough? Based on the statements that a google search will find you, it appears that the V8 guys only became the promoter after the decision was made by the Qld govt. As TC is saying that they've never met with anyone from GT1, that sounds about right.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 07:03 (Ref:2657638)   #40
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think that you miss my point DRT. The Qld govt considered GT1 (and GP2), decided them to be "unsuitable" and then made the decision to go with VESA as promoters of the event.

I, too am surprised that GT1 didn't get a crack but it is a new series this year and maybe Mr Ratel wants too much dough? Based on the statements that a google search will find you, it appears that the V8 guys only became the promoter after the decision was made by the Qld govt. As TC is saying that they've never met with anyone from GT1, that sounds about right.
Stephane Ratel never said in the interview that he had met or negotiated with VESA.
At no stage in the interview does he have anything bad to say about V8s at all other than to point out that while hugely popular here that they and their drivers are not well known Internationally.
He even says that he was prepared to "play second fiddle" to the V8's here because he knows how popular they are here.
The full interview is still on the In Pit Lane Youtube channel so you can check it out there if you haven't already.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 03:08 (Ref:2658339)   #41
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

what FIA GT pilots are known as names in this country?

i would suggest that as the GC has always had more of the American style (lets say Miami/California) of feel to a motorsport event than a European one (lets say a Monaco style), and given most of the drivers so far speculated on (Drivers of various Indy incarnations that mostly have raced on the GC before, drivers that have been out to race in V8 enduros, and former F1 drivers) are more what the QGovt or GC Council or whoever it is making the decisions had in mind for an international feel.

Think of the Daytona 24hr, LM 24hr, 'Ring 24hr etc, the drivers of these cars get exposure elsewhere, you may say as it is a novelty as such. Bog standard FIA GT drivers i don't believe would have the same feel...
Old 23 Mar 2010, 03:28 (Ref:2658342)   #42
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP had very little 'American' in it when they were signed to run last year
Old 23 Mar 2010, 04:14 (Ref:2658351)   #43
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
what FIA GT pilots are known as names in this country?

i would suggest that as the GC has always had more of the American style (lets say Miami/California) of feel to a motorsport event than a European one (lets say a Monaco style), and given most of the drivers so far speculated on (Drivers of various Indy incarnations that mostly have raced on the GC before, drivers that have been out to race in V8 enduros, and former F1 drivers) are more what the QGovt or GC Council or whoever it is making the decisions had in mind for an international feel.

Think of the Daytona 24hr, LM 24hr, 'Ring 24hr etc, the drivers of these cars get exposure elsewhere, you may say as it is a novelty as such. Bog standard FIA GT drivers i don't believe would have the same feel...
If FIA GT ever came to Australia I think with none of the drivers being household names then the cars would be the stars, I'm a close follower of FIA GT and the cars have more appeal to me then the drivers even though I'm aware of some of the drivers and their careers.

Face it in GT Racing the cars are the stars. Although if you can get some well known drivers behind the wheel it always helps public awareness though.