Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 31 Oct 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2783139)   #26
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If that had been gravel, he woulda never hit the wall.
Don't be so sure of that, if it was gravel, it would have been pretty wet and muddy at the time which would have either made him skite across it all the way to the barrier, or to dig in and roll towards the barrier.

Thats why they have impact barriers, to make the inevitable safer.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 03:56 (Ref:2783852)   #27
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Thing that gets me about this is that there was no need to screw it up. Its just poor design. There shouldn't even have been an issue like this. In the drafts (if Tilke does any ) they should have noticed this issue, moved where the buildings will be, and put the pit-lane on the infield.

I can bet if someone had posted this as a My Track design like someone said earlier, we would have noticed this, and that's frustrating when you start thinking that it should have been done better.
Exactly what I said!!

+1
Old 2 Nov 2010, 04:59 (Ref:2783861)   #28
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The land around the Korea Circuit that the high-rises and public roads are going to use was probably parceled out well before the first spade hit the earth, so it doesn't matter that the buildings aren't there yet, the people who are planning those buildings almost certainly had rights to the lands before track construction ever started.

I think this is even more plausible given that the footprint of what is supposed to be the fully permanent circuit is only around half the area it was in the original layout proposal, which I previously posted. And given that reduced area, there's no way they can squeeze the support pits into the infield of the upper circuit. And looking at the basic diagram of what was actually built, all the paddock facilities would NOT fit between the two long straights to be able to put the F1 pits in the infield either.

Practically speaking, by the time Tilke actually got a hold of the plans to lay down the track, I don't think he had much more flexibility than he would have had if it was a true street circuit from the outset.

Luiggi, Bernie's priority #1 is to create status symbols for his/CVC's empire of F1. The wining and dining of the VIPs comes first, otherwise he would never be able to drum up the cash needed for these behemoth venues in the first place.

As for Alan Wilson, his tracks just aren't suited to high-horsepower cars, and it's just that simple.

Miller is in the desert, with no nearby landmarks, and only minimal, artificially-created, elevation changes. It's too tight and twisty in overall layout, even if you use the Perimeter Circuit. ALMS and Grand-Am have left Miller for the 2011 season, and this was after they both tried to make due on the aforementioned Perimeter Circuit.

As for Barber, it has a very nice setting, but once again, it's too tight and twisty in its layout for the big cars to be able to put on good races there. And unlike even Miller, Barber lacks even one "straight" where the big stuff can really stretch its legs.

My point is, I'm not sure how much room Tilke had to work with in Korea. And Alan Wilson does not have a track record of designing tracks that are particularly conducive to good racing with higher performance cars, which means I wouldn't count on him to design a good F1, ALMS, Indy/Champ/Superlague, etc road course.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 05:08 (Ref:2783864)   #29
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
On another practical note at Korea, having pit entry break away at Turn 16, even without the issue of the future marina, poses a number of difficulties. There is the trouble of having such a long entry road, where you will need means of slowing the cars before the pits. This means probably having a chicane, but that chicane would have to be far enough in advance of the pit buildings to still allow for its own run-off. And you, again, end up with the issue of going so slow for so long killing any chance of alternate race strategies. On top of this, any extra road either side of the circuit along Turns 16-18 has to bridge at least one, and possibly two, water channels that flow out to the sea just behind the paddock.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2783963)   #30
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
The land around the Korea Circuit that the high-rises and public roads are going to use was probably parceled out well before the first spade hit the earth
Exactly. I've seen the plans. Seems like no way a meter of the track could be moved around there...

bio
Old 2 Nov 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2784029)   #31
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone considered making the wall on the right of Turn 16 lower through the apex, so that drivers could see across it?

I don't think the corner is wrong, but maybe just the visibility through it needs adjustment.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2784039)   #32
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Has anyone considered making the wall on the right of Turn 16 lower through the apex, so that drivers could see across it?

I don't think the corner is wrong, but maybe just the visibility through it needs adjustment.
The wall is a hard edge to the circuit at that point (like a street circuit) so needs to be "full size", also the low level a driver sits, to see across the apex would mean removing the wall or moving it back onto the perimeter road which will also apparently be an access road to the marina being built in that area. which takes that option out of the question.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2785007)   #33
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Exactly what I said!!

+1
Ah yes lol
My dodgy reading!