Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 29 Dec 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2362278)   #26
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
They look OK on here. How do they print out again? You may need to tweak the printer colour balance?
Then happy scanning!

Me, I need to rebuild 2 broken computers, before I can do anything! Oh, and get data off a 500GB drive that died, JUST as I'd 'tidied' all my image files onto it...
Old 29 Dec 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2362362)   #27
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
mistakenly quoted myself when i was editing this answer....QUOTE=djb] luverly cars the E-types...were always my favorite car when I was a kid growing up in Ottawa across the street from a garage owned by an ex pat brit who did jags, mgs, austin healys, triumphs etc etc etc

the flag painted one is spot on, the other has foreground grass a bit wonky but the white in the number circle is neutral--grass could be overly saturated, good be cuz its from a neg (they can be finicky sometimes) or perhaps you need to just go in a fiddle with only the greens saturation to tone only that down a bit..anyway, generally good scans.

Have fun with all that, as well as getting more info on 8mm transfers in your neck of the woods,I hope that US based place at least gives you a reference of quality, terminology and/or pricing a bit to compare to what info you can scrounge up over in GMT.

cheers,
ps, your inline 6's in your car/cars must sound simply sublime--I love the music of those engines.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by djb; 29 Dec 2008 at 16:39.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2834946)   #28
mattbull
Rookie

mattbull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to ressurrect a very old thread but it seems the most recent one regarding this subject.

I am on the lookout for a decent negative scanner and the choice is a little bewildering. Have any of you got a good recommendation. Can only spend a couple of hundred so realise the top stuff is well out of range.

On a related matter I have had cause to print a couple of posters from negative recently, it came as a bit of a surprise how poor the results came back from a couple of labs - obviously very few labs now use the traditional optical process and instead first have to scan the negs which, at anything above 12" x 8" frankly looks rubbish. Again I'm after a recommendation, this time of a lab that print posters (reasonably!) using the old methods. Ideally in Essex, but not totally adverse to sending negs in the post.

Matt
Old 22 Feb 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2835041)   #29
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In addition to the Epson V750 that I use, I have recently acquired a Plustek 7600i, a fantastic 35mm scanner. It comes with the latest Silverfast scanning software.

There is a review here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../plustek.shtml

OK to fully exploit the dust/scratch removal infra red channel, you have to purchase another software module from Silverfast but it is worth it.

Results? Well I have scanned slides published in a number of books since acquiring it, so the real world quality is there.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2835047)   #30
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I bought an HP A4 flatbed scanner second-hand off Ebay a few years ago. This came with the relevant equipment (basically a light box that takes & illuminates slides or negatives) to sit onto the scanner bed to enable you to scan slides.
It's a long-winded process, but seems to work very well. I've not got any fancy software to remove scratches or anything like that, but the scanner software does allow me to adjust colour, brightness & contrast etc.
Unfortunately that's at home & I'm at work, so can't give you the model number, but one more thing. I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and found that the scanner wasn't supported, something to bear in mind when buying second hand.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2837928)   #31
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Why buy secondhand? Epson A4 flatbeds often have a slide scanner built into the lid. Never going to match a pukka slide scanner, but then for well under a ton, what do you expect?
They used to do 2 versions, one for just 35mm, the other went all the way up to something like 5"x4"!
http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Scanner...ion-V330-Photo
They do others as well, up to about £400.