Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Apr 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2863014)   #1
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Life insurance/pension/mortgage protection etc

Just looking at some of my insurance policies(exciting stuff)and most if not all say im not covered if involved in motorsport

Now i know as marshals we are volunteers so not strictly being paid to be involved in motorsport but is it something i would be wise to declare incase the worse happens?

I know its not the sort of thing i should be worrying about but insurance companies do try to wiggle out of everything.

What do the rest of you do or think?
Old 13 Apr 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2863016)   #2
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko View Post
Just looking at some of my insurance policies(exciting stuff)and most if not all say im not covered if involved in motorsport

Now i know as marshals we are volunteers so not strictly being paid to be involved in motorsport but is it something i would be wise to declare incase the worse happens?

I know its not the sort of thing i should be worrying about but insurance companies do try to wiggle out of everything.

I'm sure George Copeland will be along shortly with the full details, but join The Marshals Club and you'll have an amount of insurance worth having.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2863019)   #3
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We declared it, we filled in the form which consisted mainly of questions like:

What do you race?
We don't we are involved in trackside safety

What size of engine is in your car?
We don't have a car, we are involved in trackside safety

etc. etc.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2863045)   #4
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

For the type of policies you're talking about (life insurance/pension/mortgage protection etc), I agree with MagnetON, declare it, that way the insurance company can't say you didn't tell them. Last time I took out some insurance I declared it, answered a few questions about what marshalling entails, training etc., and all was okay.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2863051)   #5
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had more problems with riding a motorcycle, than I've had with marshalling
Old 14 Apr 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2863160)   #6
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I started marshalling I got in touch with the various ones I use and told them I was a motorsport marshal and what it involves.
No problems encountered nor changes to any payments.

Main thing is to be open ... and better to get anything resolved now rather than have grief later

Dave
Old 14 Apr 2011, 09:47 (Ref:2863182)   #7
socko
Rookie

England
Thanks for your replies ill get on the phone this afternoon
Old 14 Apr 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2863183)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As usual when dealing with insurers it's worth following up anything you tell them in writing and keeping a copy of it.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2863852)   #9
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raised this with a financial advisor who told me that the risk is assessed at the time you take out the policy so unless there are specific exclusions in the wording, you could take up chainsaw juggling & you'd still be covered. It's a different story if you're taking out a new policy when you have to declare all relevant facts. My FA is a driver so he knew exactly what I was talking about.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2863854)   #10
socko
Rookie

England
My life insurance company said exactly the same but ive had a note put on the policy just incase.

Pension company are happy too,so it was worth ringing and writing.

Thanks for all the good advice again
Old 15 Apr 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2863864)   #11
Matt_Ring
Rookie

United Kingdom
Epsom
Matt_Ring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
We declared it, we filled in the form which consisted mainly of questions like:

What do you race?
We don't we are involved in trackside safety

What size of engine is in your car?
We don't have a car, we are involved in trackside safety

etc. etc.

I did the same after speaking to them during the application process.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2863915)   #12
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
I'm sure George Copeland will be along shortly with the full details, but join The Marshals Club and you'll have an amount of insurance worth having.
Thanks for your faith in me, Simon; sorry to be a bit behindhand on what advice I can offer on marshals’ personal accident insurance, having looked after the BMMC insurance for 30+ years and prompted on MSA insurance during the same time. I contracted a particularly nasty virus on my lap top, which I managed to get rid of but had to engage the experts to repair the damage it caused –can highly recommend PC Doctor Limited.

First priority must be to make sure personal life insurance, company life insurance plans and pension schemes, mortgage protection plans, etc know of your involvement as a motor sport marshal. In my experience, even with Keyman insurance as co-owner of a fair sized manufacturing business, most policies accepted the risk. When I was competing, I was covered for up to twenty races a year up to National level but would have had to declare separately if I graduated to International standard (some hope!).

The fall back as a motor sport marshal is first of all the MSA Personal Accident policy. Very briefly, this allows for £65,000 benefit for death or very serious injury and up to £350 per week for up to 104 weeks for temporary total disablement. The latter benefit is, as is normal on such policies, means tested, insofar as claimants have to prove loss. Cover is for MSA permitted events or those covered by Certificate of Exemption; does not provide cover where some part of a race weekend is run as a track day, nor for parade events not included in advance on the race permit.

The BMMC policy is not so generous (because of the reduced premium the Club can reasonably afford) but is much wider in scope. It pays out £7,500 for death or very serious injury and £100 per week for up to 104 weeks but weekly benefit is paid irrespective of loss, especially advantageous to many of our members who are retired or are housewives, carers, or between jobs at the time of the incident. It covers all MSA permitted events plus many, many other events that are not MSA permitted, including overseas events and travel to and from. This comes free to members as part of their annual subscription.

In addition to all this, the BMMC Public Liability policy covers marshals for events, including exhibitions etc, that fall outside MSA PL cover. Again, this comes as part of the annual subscription.

Hope this helps.