Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Sep 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2953123)   #1
moons657
Rookie

moons657 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Work Experience in Formula 1 team?

I am in my 2nd year of Electronic Engineering here in Ireland and come Spring we are expected to go on work experience.I am very into Motorsports,currently helping with a Touring car here but I was wondering is it possible to get Work experience with Formula 1 teams in the UK or any other Big motorsport teams that use a lot of electronics?
I have sent a few emails to a few teams but I have not gotten any replies yet but I am determined to get Work Experience that is Motorsport related.Any one have any ideas for who to apply to or where I should be looking?
Old 9 Sep 2011, 14:16 (Ref:2953157)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is this a placement year? most f1 teams run placement programmes with specific universities rather than work experience, for example red bull recruit people from uxbridge uni. i don't think i've ever come across one being advertised in the normal channels.

have you considered the big sportscar and touring car teams and manufacturers such as rml or lola? you may find it easier to find information and opportunities through companies like them, and it would still be considered relevant if post-degree you were applying to f1 teams. particularly with prototypes and things like that. if you can, try and phone instead of email with non-f1 teams, it's far easier to dismiss an email without reading it than a phone call.

good luck
Old 10 Sep 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2953468)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, get in contact with companies like Lola, Zytek, Prodrive, RML, as well as the F1 teams!

This is something i'd like to do myself, i'm in First Year at University at the moment.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2953828)   #4
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am in my 2nd year of Electronic Engineering here in Ireland and come Spring we are expected to go on work experience.I am very into Motorsports,currently helping with a Touring car here but I was wondering is it possible to get Work experience with Formula 1 teams in the UK or any other Big motorsport teams that use a lot of electronics?
I think you're looking at this the wrong way, as far as I know the only Motorsport team off the top of my head who do electronics in-house is Mclaren. You're gonna have to do more research as to who actually does electronic equipment in Motorsport and what part of the course you're doing that suits the role (control, power electronics, signal processing etc etc.). Race Car Engineering should give you a good starting point.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2953949)   #5
moons657
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
is this a placement year? most f1 teams run placement programmes with specific universities rather than work experience, for example red bull recruit people from uxbridge uni. i don't think i've ever come across one being advertised in the normal channels.

have you considered the big sportscar and touring car teams and manufacturers such as rml or lola? you may find it easier to find information and opportunities through companies like them, and it would still be considered relevant if post-degree you were applying to f1 teams. particularly with prototypes and things like that. if you can, try and phone instead of email with non-f1 teams, it's far easier to dismiss an email without reading it than a phone call.

good luck
I havent started to write to smaller companies like Lola but I definitely will.Its kinda a placement year but we only have 3 months of work experience needed.And I think everything is paid for by the college such as my living costs if I am living away from home.Yea I might ring them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Yeah, get in contact with companies like Lola, Zytek, Prodrive, RML, as well as the F1 teams!

This is something i'd like to do myself, i'm in First Year at University at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills View Post
I think you're looking at this the wrong way, as far as I know the only Motorsport team off the top of my head who do electronics in-house is Mclaren. You're gonna have to do more research as to who actually does electronic equipment in Motorsport and what part of the course you're doing that suits the role (control, power electronics, signal processing etc etc.). Race Car Engineering should give you a good starting point.

Yea I see your point but even if the experience is in software the work experience is still relevant.I will have to do more research.

By race car engineering do you mean the magazine?
Old 11 Sep 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2954141)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
'Race Car Engineering'
'race car engineering'
different things
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2954708)   #7
moons657
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
'Race Car Engineering'
'race car engineering'
different things
yea i was looking at doing a masters in this but i might not be able to due to financial restraints
Old 17 Sep 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2956958)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zytek do a lot of stuff with regards to hybrid technology for road cars too, as well as the racing side of things.

I wouldn't consider companies like Lola and Zytek as 'smaller' companies. They are actively involved in cutting edge industry. Some F1 teams are simply just F1 teams. McLaren are probably the only F1 'team' which are involved in industry to the same level as Lola and Zytek.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2958212)   #9
moons657
Rookie

Thanks for all the help and info guys.We're getting guidelines off our college very soon on what we can and cant apply for so for now Im gonna sort my C.V out