Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 22 Sep 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2959749)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An unexpected danger from tyres

All,
You might never think of doing a bit of welding on a damaged wheel, but if you did, it could kill you!

Have a look at this thread, over on the Sideways Technologies board:

http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/f...638#entry75638

John
Old 25 Sep 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2960879)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone who welds a wheel with an inflated tyre really is shooting for a Darwin award.

Think of it as cleansing the gene pool.

Regards

Jim
Old 25 Sep 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2960907)   #3
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So it is, Jim, but you don't have to talk in words of one syllable, and say 'Innit?', to be ignorant of this danger!
I would have thought that I might damage the tyre, not myself. The idea of 'pyrolysis' and an explosion just wasn't on my horizon.

It's strange that some Health'n'Safety ideas get passed from industry to the general population, and some don't. This danger is clearly well known in industry, as well as you, but though I am concerned with safety this is a new warning to me. When amateur welders like me can get good advice on welding safety and apply them, why is this a lesson that gets left out?

Any other good tips?

John
Old 26 Sep 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2960984)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No welding tips John.

This seems to me to be one of the areas where there may be a tendency for common sense to be insufficient and some training or, at least, a requirement that anyone who is going to use welding equipment has to have acknowledged the need for understanding, perhaps even training.

No one would ever accuse me of being over-keen on the full rigour of some H&S approaches but stored energy and heat ought to be a warning to anyone.

So, do we think that B&Q ought to be able to sell welding equipment to anyone? More energy that a shotgun shell but no requirement for training? Personally I do think they ought to be on open sale but that may not be a universal view. Perhaps one trouble would be the "gold-plating" of the requirements which would follow any regulation. NVQ anyone?

Regards

Jim
Old 26 Sep 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2960988)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Anyone who welds a wheel with an inflated tyre really is shooting for a Darwin award.

Think of it as cleansing the gene pool.

Regards

Jim
That's similar to the woman that had bulge on a tyre sidewall so carried it on her lap in the back of the car where it exploded and killed her. I suppose in some cases you have to have seen or experienced these dangers to realise they are there.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2962037)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The sobering bit is that you don't have to be doing anything stupid like welding a wheel with an inflated tyre. Let the air out and heat up the wheel nuts could still be enough, and 22 hours later!

Catch 22. You can't apply heat to the nuts without taking the tyre off and you can't take the tyre off without applying heat to the nuts.

Perhaps it's a good job that the world is full of stupid people to do the the jobs we are too clever to undertake.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2962276)   #7
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The issue is with the heat causing pressure increase inside the tyre beyond what the wheel/tyre can contain.

If you need to heat the wheel nuts its fairly normal to remove the valve. That way pressure can not build up at all and your safe.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2962486)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD Motorsport View Post
The issue is with the heat causing pressure increase inside the tyre beyond what the wheel/tyre can contain.

If you need to heat the wheel nuts its fairly normal to remove the valve. That way pressure can not build up at all and your safe.
Compare this advice with that in the video referenced in the first post. Seems it cam bite you either way.

Regards

Jim
Old 29 Sep 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2962594)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD Motorsport View Post

If think it is a bit more than just the Gas Laws working, and pressure increasing as temperature rises. My (non-chemist, no knowledge of tyre technology) reading is that the initial heat produces "pyrolysis", the chemical breakdown of the rubber compound, releasing gases that increase pressure. The incraesed pressure produces heat, that drives the reaction that produces heat itself. A positive feedback, runaway reaction that inflates the tyre beyond it's yield point, when BOOM!

John
Old 29 Sep 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2962653)   #10
JohnD
Veteran

Tragic confirmation of this hazard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...odes-face.html

The news report says he was "using a high-pressure air hose" on a tractor tyre, but on another message board a local says that he was using heat to free a seized wheel nut of an 8-wheeler forestry truck.
And as this was a blacksmith, shows that either lesson isn't well known.

John

Last edited by JohnD; 29 Sep 2011 at 19:27.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2962658)   #11
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the tyre break down also contributes...

But my point was whenever you need to mess with a wheel/tyre unit remove the valve core to prevent pressure build up whatever the cause.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2962928)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The video clearly says that the valve is not sufficient to let out all the pressure and cited an example. In one extreme case, the tyre even re-seated itself!
Old 30 Sep 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2963190)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The video clearly says that the valve is not sufficient to let out all the pressure and cited an example. In one extreme case, the tyre even re-seated itself!
The hill climb boys in Iceland and AUS ignite butane fuel inside their tyres all the time to re seat them on those 4x4s when they come off the rim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4xahazg58M

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 30 Sep 2011 at 20:29.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Sep 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2963209)   #14
JohnD
Veteran

And the Aussies quickly put the valve back in!
Of course, you have to be an Ocker bloke for that to work.
If you're not, this happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO9M6...eature=related

Which leads me to this video.
The parent of the poor child should be shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV3zB...eature=related

JOhn

Last edited by JohnD; 30 Sep 2011 at 20:59.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2963217)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
And the Aussies quickly put the valve back in!
Of course, you have to be an Ocker bloke for that to work.
If you're not, this happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO9M6...eature=related

JOhn
I think they might have used a "little" bit too much.
Agreed some people haven't the sense they're born with, like my rant on the moan thread
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Oct 2011, 14:44 (Ref:2963423)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

We lost three idiots who did that. One of them left a lasting impression in the roof of the shed they were working in. And guess what? Two days later, our safety guys stopped another bunch of idiots doing the same thing.