Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Dec 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2809459)   #1
klaasvh
Rookie

klaasvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Win Percy Harrier LR9

Hi everyone. I'm looking for pictures of the Harrier Win Percy raced in British GT's back in 1996/97. I've been looking all over the internet but only managed to find one picture of it so far, which is this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/antsphoto/5017633017/

Is there anyone here who can help me in my search?
Old 1 Jan 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2809935)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
klaas, i'm sure someone will be able to help on here.

Old 2 Jan 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2810215)   #3
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What number was the Harrier please? I've two pics of no 40 at Silverstone.
Andy
Old 2 Jan 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2810258)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans 4 Hours 22.9.1996
39 Harrier LR9 C # (Astratech) - Ford Cosworth, Driven by: Lindsay Owen-Jones (GB)/Richard Austin (GB)/Win Percy (GB) The car only ran in heat 1.

From the British GT Championship meeting on June 1st 1997 at Donington, in yellow and with additional backing from Carphone Warehouse, driven by Percy and Charlie Cox. It qualified 5th but did not start the race.

Other pics of the LR9C Harrier with other drivers such as Soper, and also pics of previous Harrier Cars in Thundersports, British C2 Championship, Interseries etc. can be found on this page at the Racing Sports Cars website. I think those images I posted likely came from there as well. I had them as part of material for a bit I once wrote about Win Percy

@ "Andy Clegg", #40 at the SIlverstone (May 96) British GT round was indeed a Harrier LR9C, but not with Win Percy at the wheel. The #40 was driven by Richard Austin / Val Lindsay, and running in the GT2 class (Percy was in GT1, running a 2Litre Turbo). That weekend Percy's car was #11. Actually Percy celebrated that weekend (where he was the oldest driver in the field by some margin) with an outright win (for Win)
Old 2 Jan 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2810283)   #5
klaasvh
Rookie

@ E.B, both of those pictures indeed come from racingsportscars.com. The Le Mans car looks like the same as the one used in British GT but with a different livery. The Donington car is in fact a Harrier GT97, it was an evolution of the LR9 GT1 car. Changes included the added roof scoop and a different rear wing.

@ Andy Clegg, as E.B pointed out it's not the same car as the one I'm looking for but I'd still be interested in seeing those pictures. Can you post them or send them?
Old 3 Jan 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2810399)   #6
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaasvh View Post
@ E.B, both of those pictures indeed come from racingsportscars.com. The Le Mans car looks like the same as the one used in British GT but with a different livery. The Donington car is in fact a Harrier GT97, it was an evolution of the LR9 GT1 car. Changes included the added roof scoop and a different rear wing.
IIRC the silver Le Mans car was, according to Autosport, a completely new chassis, not the repainted, yellow British GT one. Could eventually, sooner or later, look for the magazine I read from .)
Old 3 Jan 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2810403)   #7
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both taken Silverstone.Pic on left Club straight. Other, between Copse and Maggots.
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Scan-110103-0001.jpg   Scan-110103-0002.jpg  

Last edited by Andy Clegg; 3 Jan 2011 at 08:49. Reason: Add words
Old 3 Jan 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2810417)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You may want to get some input from the members on the Sportscar/GT subforum.......
Old 3 Jan 2011, 10:02 (Ref:2810422)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think I 'raced' against a Harrier at Snetterton in a clubbie a few years back. It is possible that it is the ex-Percey one, but I guess the odds are against it. How many were built?
Old 3 Jan 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2810619)   #10
klaasvh
Rookie

@ Andy Clegg: Thanks for the pictures. It looks like this version is almost the same as the GT1 version. From the outside at least.

@ Adam43: Could it be the Tony Soper driven car? http://www.eurosaloons.co.uk/Assets/.../TonySoper.jpg
Old 3 Jan 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2810625)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't remember. I did find a couple of pics though. The first is the best pic. of the car. The second shows me leading it

I guess it isn't the car you are after.
Attached Thumbnails
2 Random.jpg   10 Done It!.jpg  
Old 8 Jul 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2923984)   #12
Rob Campbell
Rookie

Rob Campbell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harrier and Sintura

I worked there for a few years on the tail end of the Harrier project and then the Sintura that replaced it. I can probably answer questions if my memory serves me well
Old 8 Jul 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2923987)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Welcome to 10-10ths Rob Isn't it a little late in the day for the memory to work!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2925110)   #14
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember being at Oulton Park when Win Percy was driving that.

Ive probably still got the program somewhere at my parents house. If needed i could have a look see if any photos in it for you.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2926686)   #15
klaasvh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Campbell View Post
I worked there for a few years on the tail end of the Harrier project and then the Sintura that replaced it. I can probably answer questions if my memory serves me well
That's interesting. The Sinture was an amazing car as well. It's vey difficult to find information on both cars. Do you know how many of both cars were built?
Old 14 Jul 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2926796)   #16
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't one of them a converted Group C2 car it turned out?
(I maybe wrong)
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2928160)   #17
autodev
Rookie

autodev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harrier GT97

Only two GT97's were built. The only race number used was the #two.
The cars formed the Cox/Percy challenge in the
1997 - Gt1 Privilage Insurance GT Championship
They are currently being restored by the skilled hands of Channing engineering ( www.channingengineering.co.uk ) . Channing have rebuilt many of the key components for a vast catalogue of priceless vehicles. Mass 300s, 250GTO, Lotus 15 , Bobtail, to many to list.
The restoration has been a labour of love over many years and a big thank you is owed to Ian Stinton and the guys at Evesham Cycles.
I believe that Ian or Ian and friends own the 96 car and the Sintra.
I remember sitting on a a bank at Donington a long time ago and really wanting the yellow harrier to kick the ass of the Blue Coral Porsche!
Old 19 Jul 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2928627)   #18
klaasvh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodev View Post
Only two GT97's were built. The only race number used was the #two.
The cars formed the Cox/Percy challenge in the
1997 - Gt1 Privilage Insurance GT Championship
They are currently being restored by the skilled hands of Channing engineering ( www.channingengineering.co.uk ) . Channing have rebuilt many of the key components for a vast catalogue of priceless vehicles. Mass 300s, 250GTO, Lotus 15 , Bobtail, to many to list.
The restoration has been a labour of love over many years and a big thank you is owed to Ian Stinton and the guys at Evesham Cycles.
I believe that Ian or Ian and friends own the 96 car and the Sintra.
I remember sitting on a a bank at Donington a long time ago and really wanting the yellow harrier to kick the ass of the Blue Coral Porsche!
Great to hear the cars are being restored. I hope there will be public appearances in the future.
As for the Harrier beating the Porsche, you should have a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAXw8...eature=related
It's a video of the 1997 race at Croft.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2972543)   #19
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an LR9, chassis No.2 out at the Brooklands motorsport event on Saturday. It completed several laps of the Mercedes Benz test track. It had several picture boards showing its history from an open car at Le Mans through to its last appearance in the Euroseries saloon and sportscar championship.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2972640)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This one?
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin..._race_car.html