Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 20 Feb 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3028290)   #26
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aaahhh you learn a new thing everyday. I thought it was based on qualifying position from yesterday
Old 20 Feb 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3028319)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I gave up on trying to figure out anything past the first row with Daytona 500 q-ing.

Jayski knows everything:

DUEL LINEUPS

Also included are who needs to race in, who's "bought" their way in, and who is locked in....
Old 21 Feb 2012, 03:38 (Ref:3028680)   #28
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all ready for the green white checkerd. again. danica automatically gets the front row. ladies first rule in the usa.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 03:51 (Ref:3028682)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
aaahhh you learn a new thing everyday. I thought it was based on qualifying position from yesterday
i think you understood, but just for clarification

Which duel you are are in is set by wheer you finished in the owners champiosnhip the previous year (top 35 only), where you start in your duel is based on how you went against the others from your duel in the qualifying session

of course to complicate matters

Pole for each duel is set by the fastest two qualifiers no matter which duel they were meant to be in.

Out side the top 35 they just alternate them based on qualifying speed

its remarkable over complicated, not sure why they just dont do it based on the qualyfying session
Old 21 Feb 2012, 06:09 (Ref:3028705)   #30
Six Speed
Rookie

Australia
Six Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont get it...... Casey Mears finished 31st last year so why is he not behind marcos in duel 1 and jeff Gordon beside biffle in duel 2 (finished 8th)
Old 21 Feb 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3028729)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Speed View Post
I dont get it...... Casey Mears finished 31st last year so why is he not behind marcos in duel 1 and jeff Gordon beside biffle in duel 2 (finished 8th)
its last years owners points, so casey finished 32nd, an even number therfore Race 2
Old 21 Feb 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3028861)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With the plate track rules package this year, starting position really isn't that important as Drivers/Teams will implement a strategy from the beginning to either attempt to stay up front or hang out in the back. Q-ing races have become primarily a test session for most, but people also like winning races at Daytona, and yes, 6 or so drivers are in limbo. If you are in, you can probably risk going to the rear of the field in a back up car if you get collected in a wreck during the Duels.

I predict a couple of wild ones with plenty of GWCs, ujoint.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3029008)   #33
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(i) Edwards starts on pole, Biffle alongside him, unless either of them has to go to a back-up car, in which case they would have to start from the back. To compete in the Daytona 500, a driver must take part in a Duel 150; so surely the logical thing to preserve the primary car is for both to start-and-park in their respective 150s? And as starting position is not important at superspeedways, why don't all drivers who are prequalified for the 500- front row, top 35 in Owner's points, the three or four qualified on speed from the qualifying session, the most recent not-otherwise-qualified past Champion, just start-and-park to preserve their equipment for the main event?

(ii) Terry Labonte starts the 500 in 43rd and last position, because his qualification is a result of his being the most recent Cup champion not otherwise qualified for the race. Does he stay 43rd regardless of his finishing position in the Duel 150s? Or does the #15 start last because MWR has been caught cheating at Daytona again?

(iii) 39 cars already have guaranteed starts. That leaves four places left between 10 cars. Effectively, if those guaranteed starters adopted my strategy, then each Duel 150 would become a five car race for two spots in the feature. We might even see Front Row Joe (spit!) having to race for his money for a change!
Old 21 Feb 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3029198)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post

(ii) Terry Labonte starts the 500 in 43rd and last position, because his qualification is a result of his being the most recent Cup champion not otherwise qualified for the race. Does he stay 43rd regardless of his finishing position in the Duel 150s? Or does the #15 start last because MWR has been caught cheating at Daytona again?

(
if he qualifies through other means, ie racing in, or because he was 5th fastest in qualifying getting in on speed then he would start wherever he qualified. and Bill Elliott gets to start 43rd unless Bill races in, in which case there are no more champion spots and the next fastest qualifier

If Terrye doesnt obtain one of those starting spots then he starts 43rd

The simple version: how the Daytona 500 lineup is set:
Pos 1 and 2: Pole sitter and outside pole sitter from qualifying
[no need to be top 35 in prevoius season car Owners Points]

Pos 3 thru 39: top 35 in prevoius season car owners points and two highest finishing teams in each Gatorade Duel races race NOT in the top 35 set by their finishing postion in the Gatorade Duel races.

Pos 40-42: fastest qualifiers not in by above

Pos 43: past champion provisional - at this point only. Otherwise the spot goes to the next fastest qualifier.

o
Old 22 Feb 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3029225)   #35
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I don't see Awesome Bill or Texas Terry racing their way in, but stranger things have happened.

Regardless of the scenarios, these are races at the Daytona International Speedway that pay 50K plus to the winner and 20k plus to the guys who finish at the rear of the pack.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 13:35 (Ref:3029889)   #36
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I don't see Awesome Bill or Texas Terry racing their way in, but stranger things have happened.
Awesome Bill and Front Row Joe are in the same Dual aren't they? They are the only GOGH's to have team-mates i think so i'll watch for them teaming up on the last lap to race their way in!

I hope they both do it, i'm a bit of a Joe Nemechek fan as he won the first ever Cup race i'd seen.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3030057)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Smoke takes the first one as Danica is "welcomed" into Cup plate racing. Awful looking accident but she walked away.

Terry Labonte parked it and may have to take the previous Champs' provisional, damn it; still possible for him to get in on speed. Robby Gordon and Micheal McDowell are in.

Duel 2 to start shortly.

And WOW; SPEEDS' audio is AWFUL!
Old 23 Feb 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3030067)   #38
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And WOW; SPEEDS' audio is AWFUL!
I think Danica hit so hard she knocked the audio out of sync!
Old 23 Feb 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3030111)   #39
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevp View Post
I think Danica hit so hard she knocked the audio out of sync!
Sensibly took her hands off the wheel!

Well, Front Row Joe made it

Pity Kenny Wallace didn't. Comes across as a nice guy, think they had problems with that car.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3030123)   #40
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Michael Waltrip didn't qualify. Much upset.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 00:17 (Ref:3030149)   #41
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Michael Waltrip didn't qualify. Much upset.
Yeah, I hate it because now there will be two Waltrips in the broadcast team. One is too much.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 04:04 (Ref:3030188)   #42
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was a great pair of duels. Thankful that the #36 had no problem getting in (I was very confident they would make it) so that we don;t have to rage at him being screwed.

For poleday, we all knew Bayne would be the fastest GOGH, but the big shock was Raines in the #26, who took the 2nd of the 3 spots to lock in that day. From the practice speeds, wasn't a shock to see Stremme take the last slot that day.

For the GOGHers in the duels, as shocking as it was to see Waltrip DNQ, I also sensed that he wouldn't get the job done for some reason. Wasn't a big shock to see Front Row Joe pull it off again, as I was sure he'd find a way.

The big shocks in pleasant ways were the 7 and 98. From it's history, I didn't expect that team to run at the front, let alone be competitive. The 7 had a tire go down on the 1st lap, but caught back up, so that was an even bigger surprise. The shock for the wrong reasons was the 09, because they had the speed and equipment, but something went wrong in the motor(?), causing them to not DNF, but barely meet the minimum speed.

Of course, it was no shock to see the 97, 23, and 49 fail to make it, and no surprise for T. Lab to use the PCP.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3030395)   #43
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
Quote:
Yeah, I hate it because now there will be two Waltrips in the broadcast team. One is too much.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3030574)   #44
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Not seen the Duels. Is it worth to watch it back?