Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2002, 20:20 (Ref:313868)   #26
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he has loads of talent.

i agree , He has huge amounts of talent . He has just been very unlucky in his career ,

Some people say that in life you make your own luck , well i disagree , as Herbert in a good example of that .
Ok , in his career he has made mistakes like anyone else F1 , but the vast majority of his career has been tainted by poor luck . His ability is massive .

But now he has moved on from F1 , he looks like he's finally getting his hands on some decent machinery to race with . And from that he will make posts like JR EWING has made earlier look rather naive
Old 14 Jun 2002, 20:27 (Ref:313871)   #27
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
But now he has moved on from F1 , he looks like he's finally getting his hands on some decent machinery to race with...
What, the 1991 Mazda 787B was chopped liver?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Jun 2002, 20:35 (Ref:313880)   #28
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im basically talking about the main part of his career since F3000 .
Old 15 Jun 2002, 07:29 (Ref:314199)   #29
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Herbert

I think Herbert is a very good driver and his unfortunate or should I say untimely accident in F3000 cost him some valuable time in F1.

Unfortunately when he went to Benetton he was Schumacher's slave and was at a distinct disadvantage from his very first test.Herbert had stated that he was too quick in his first tests with the team and his testing was dramatically reduced.If he had the same amount of testing as Schumacher, then an idiot can see that the results within the team would/could have been very different.If you don't test, you don't improve your speed,it is very simple.No driver can flourish in a team where Schumacher is because,in my opinion,the single most important factor determining a drivers potential is testing.A driver must test,otherwise he will remain at a level consistently lower than his teammate,which is what Schumacher truly wants.Irvine had the same problem at Ferrari,it is a pathetic pattern with Schumacher.

Herbert has had some gifted wins in his F1 career,but tell me that Schumacher's win at Austria this year wasn't a gift.That's racing.

Tye
Old 15 Jun 2002, 07:38 (Ref:314202)   #30
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought he wasnt too quick, but he showed himself in the Stewart in 1999 with his win at Nurburgring
Old 15 Jun 2002, 09:40 (Ref:314244)   #31
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny was quick at nurburgring 99?!!!Think before you speak please!
Tye ,when a driver has had enough testing they're not going to get any quicker.You'd have to say that after half a dozen races he would know the car,no risk.Johnny was NEVER the equal of shumacher
Old 15 Jun 2002, 10:00 (Ref:314256)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
the person we ought to ask about wether Johnny is/was quick is Frank Williams, a man who knows more about motor racing than the rest of us put together!

the reason i say Sir Frank is because, he was at Brands on the day of Johnny's accident with a contract to join Williams, ready for Johnny to sign!

was Johnny quick? ask Frank!
Old 15 Jun 2002, 16:15 (Ref:314444)   #33
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank Williams knows his stuff . Johnny is still very quick IMO , but still gets frowned upon by many people , who for some reason dont think he is very good .
I don't understand why ?
Old 15 Jun 2002, 20:19 (Ref:314551)   #34
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
Johnny was quick at nurburgring 99?!!!Think before you speak please!
Tye ,when a driver has had enough testing they're not going to get any quicker.You'd have to say that after half a dozen races he would know the car,no risk.Johnny was NEVER the equal of shumacher
RWC:

When Herbert tested the Benetton for the first few times he was very close to Schumacher and he didn't like it.

Autosport Sept 7 95

Herbert:

"My problem was going too quickly the first time I tested.That worried Michael and I was never given a fair crack of the whip.I've never been able to show my full potential because everything has been geared around him winning.

I always knew it was going to be difficult,but I never expected it to be such an uphill struggle.Often,when we were down for two days testing each,Michael would find a problem with the car which he said he needed to work on.He would do three and a half days and I would do half a day when the car was worn out.

He was happy enough to choose me as his partner,but when he realized I could drive quickly,our friendship changed.He saw me as a threat and he didn't like it.

We have totally different driving styles,but it has never been possible to make changes to the car I need.

I've also had to stay out on ruined tyres waiting for Michael to make his stops.I know I'm quick and I haven't lost it.Fortunately,the people who matter know what I'm capable of."

A source has revealed that in Belgium,Herbert's race chances were hampered by a first set of tyres that were too highly pressured,a broken radio mike which meant he couldn't let the team know when he was coming in,the rear tyres being mounted on the wrong side at his second stop and a refuelling problem which meant that he finished the race with 45 litres in the tank as opposed to Schumacher's 12.

Needless to say Herbert is chasing drives at Jordan and Sauber for 1996.

Well RWC, you can't say that Herbert wouldn't have been closer to Schumacher if he'd been allowed and granted his "proper" testing time,that is "the only" way a driver improves his lot.Under the circumstances above it is "no wonder" that Schumacher was consistently the faster of the two.

Tye
Old 15 Jun 2002, 21:00 (Ref:314573)   #35
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Tye

He was happy enough to choose me as his partner,but when he realized I could drive quickly,our friendship changed.He saw me as a threat and he didn't like it.

A source has revealed that in Belgium,Herbert's race chances were hampered by a first set of tyres that were too highly pressured,a broken radio mike which meant he couldn't let the team know when he was coming in,the rear tyres being mounted on the wrong side at his second stop and a refuelling problem which meant that he finished the race with 45 litres in the tank as opposed to Schumacher's 12.

Tye

great post .

its about time someone said it like it is .

Herbert had to race with one hand tied behind his back . It is the truth , its about time people excepted it .
Old 17 Jun 2002, 09:53 (Ref:315299)   #36
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny was one helluva driver...
Damon Hill was the 1996 champion. He has probably more natural ability than Damon... but Damon was in a Williams.

Remember also the Benetton B195 was worse than the Williams FW17, and on top of that it was a Schumacher suited car...