Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 13 Mar 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3218036)   #26
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
There are a few issues with your track. At turn 5 your proposed track heads straight into the pitlane. That gives no room whatsoever for runoff. The straight heading into it is not that long, but with fast cars (I presume indycars and/or ALMS are the series you're thinking of) speeds will still be quite high.
Runoff is also an issue at the last 90*-corner. There is room, but it will block the lightrail from running. Given the number of roads the track will block, and the number of parkinglots that won't be available, public transport will be important to transport the fans to the event.
I've edited your track, to solve these problems.

After turn 3, I've creates a sort of esse-section on a parkinglot.

The long western straight is moved 1 street to the west. At the end, runoff is available, and at the brakingzone there is room for a very large grandstand, giving a lot of people the opportunity to sit at the place were most action is to be expected.

The last corner is now a chicane, a type of corner that was not available in your proposal, adding to the variety of the 90-degree-cornerheavy track.

A few other observations. First: especially at the first part of the track, the track must be repaved. The tarmac is really at a poor state, at least when Googles streetviewcar drove there. But also at the long straights the driver may suffer from the bumps. Probably for rainwaterdisposal the roads have a large crown. At the intersections this will be severly noticed.
Secondly: the amount of parkinglots and the width of the roads in the area is staggering. How many cars do the Minneapolisians have? Well, it makes staging an event like a motorrace easier, lots of room for the track, paddock and grandstands.
Third, even more than parkinglots, the amount of churches is very high. Will there be fans at the race, or will people only come to watch qualifying, and be in church on sunday?
Good work, werner!
Old 14 Mar 2013, 02:21 (Ref:3218161)   #27
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Viperion101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice, werner
Old 14 Mar 2013, 02:54 (Ref:3218168)   #28
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Recife Street Circuit

Recife, Brazil
3.29 Miles
Attached Thumbnails
Recife.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3218245)   #29
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well... While the overall shape looks good, there are a few issues I see here.

First of all, there's no place for the paddocks where you put the pitlane: it would be a logistic nightmare to have it there.

The entry and exit turns of the "top" straight (the shorter, totally straight section near the top of the image) also raise some questions. Either one being the entry turn (dunno which one, since I don't know if this track is run clockwise or anti) would be rather dangerous: the "bottom" one is rather narrow, the "top" one goes through a very narrow looking bridge. Both would be very dangerous when negotiated by a bunch of speeding cars (or, at least the image suggests the track takes the top line of the top road section).

But the overall shape indeed looks good.

bio
Old 14 Mar 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3218360)   #30
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Viperion,
-how do you want to race the top left corner, from Norte to Magelhaes?
-Why did you want your pits at the place where you have put them?
-How do we have to know the track direction?
-If clockwise, how do you prevent drivers in the first turn to either dive into the ocean or crash to death on a wall if they have a brakefailure, overshoot their brakingpoint or for some other reason can not take turn 1 properly?
-If counterclockwise, the same question, but even more important given the much higher approaching speed, at the Avenida de Palmares?

To make it easier to comment on your work, I'd appreciate if you could give more info in your picture. For instance cornernumbers make it much clearer to point out on wich corner I comment. And that would immediately solve the trackdirectionissue. Important, because some issues are either or not existent with a certain direction.
Further, a few minutes of thinking should be appointed to questions about where the paddock should be, where spectators can find a seat etc. Figuring out a good street-circuit is not just putting a line on a map of a city.

Last edited by werner; 14 Mar 2013 at 15:59.
Old 16 Mar 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3219563)   #31
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Here's a track map with the turn numbers
Attached Thumbnails
Recife.jpg  
Old 17 Mar 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3219906)   #32
bio
Veteran

Hungary
You got the pitlane between T1 and 2?

bio
Old 17 Mar 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3220191)   #33
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is unusual, but not unheard of. For instance in Baltimore the pits are not on the start/finish-straight.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3220470)   #34
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
That is unusual, but not unheard of. For instance in Baltimore the pits are not on the start/finish-straight.

OK, i know, i just wanted to make sure that's the case.

... which is a strange case, because, as I've mentioned already, the pits seem (on GMaps) to be in a place that's a logistic nightmare to put the paddocks to.

bio
Old 17 Apr 2013, 06:53 (Ref:3235638)   #35
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Track Length: 3.34 miles (5.36 kilometres)
Minimum Speeds: 50-60 mph
Maximum Speeds: 175-185 mph
Intended Series: Indycar Series, United Sports Car Racing, DTM America, Canadian Touring Car Championship

For the first of my own "King of the Streets" Series, I give you the revived Grand Prix of Vancouver, and its 3.34-mile, 22-turn racetrack, with the intent being to allow Vancouver to host any racing series in the world, up to and including Formula One, though I suspect the most likely clients for such a facility would be the Indycar Series, United Sports Car Racing and DTM America.

The track runs clockwise, with its first section being a run down the wide and very fast Pacific Boulevard, going through three wide corners and off Pacific Boulevard into the Yaletown district. Turns 6, 7 and 8 are the tightest ones on the circuit and pass room there is limited, but not as limited as some tracks. Turns 9 and on, however, there is much more room. Turn 8 puts the cars onto Nelson Street, then T9 puts them onto Cambie Street, passing Helmcken Park before turning left onto Expo Boulevard. Expo Boulevard takes the racers under the edge of British Columbia Place and around the north side of the Rogers Arena, passing Andy Livingstone Park before curving right again, going left at Turn 17 onto Millross Avenue, while Turn 18 puts the cars right onto Main Street, turning right again onto Terminal Avenue. A pass by the Science World center returns you to the main straight.

This track puts a premium on high-speed stability in the Turns 12-16 sector and would be murderous on brakes, while cars need both strong acceleration and high top speeds on the Pacific Avenue straights. Several chunks of this track were part of the old Vancouver Indycar race of the 1990s and 2000s, but this is a few steps beyond that track.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Vancouver Grand Prix2.JPG  
Old 24 Apr 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3239068)   #36
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I did a street circuit in Vancouver that I sent to IndyCar for consideration a while ago (that's why I wanted to keep it private). It nearly got put on the calendar. Here it is...

Old 25 Apr 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3239210)   #37
bio
Veteran

Hungary
You mean your design almost got actually used by IndyCar?

bio
Old 25 Apr 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3239428)   #38
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
You mean your design almost got actually used by IndyCar?

bio
Yes.

Edit: Well, this may be a bit misleading. I emailed former CEO of Indycar Randy Bernard and he said he liked the design and I'd be welcome for an internship. I said he'd greatly consider putting it on the calendar, and he had been thinking about putting Vancouver back on the map for years. Of course, he may have said this just to make me happy (and keep me quiet).
Old 25 Apr 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3239432)   #39
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like a typical PR response.

Like the idea, something we have been thinking about, feel free to apply to work with us when your older.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3239477)   #40
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Yes.

Edit: Well, this may be a bit misleading. I emailed former CEO of Indycar Randy Bernard and he said he liked the design and I'd be welcome for an internship. I said he'd greatly consider putting it on the calendar, and he had been thinking about putting Vancouver back on the map for years. Of course, he may have said this just to make me happy (and keep me quiet).
Well, that's a bit further from "almost" - but you still got much, much further than most of us

So, congrats!

bio