Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 Apr 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3240942)   #1
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much disc run-out before it's a nuisance?

How long is a piece of string maybe....

Rebuilding my little whizzer I have found some run-out on the bearing carrier what is the limit before I throw it away?

Firstly it is the common-or-garden Triumph Herald/Spitfire etc front used on thousands of Formula Fords and plenty of race cars. The great lump you bolt the disc to and your wheel....

I have found that with new stub axle and bearings I have TEN thou of run-out at the edge of the hub/bearing carrier. The unit seems to have been built like it (Factory tolerance I guess) and it's rather involved to get it re-aligned - I'm informed. Cheaper to buy another.

The ten thou involved will progress out to 20 at the disc edge & caliper (I've not measured it) and will give me knock-back, knock-off(?) effecting braking delay.
Will it be too much? How much do other people stand for before throwing?
Old 30 Apr 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3241005)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
That's a lot of runout! From memory, most manufacturers specify a maximum disc runout of .002" or so. Rectifying the hub would, as you say, be a difficult operation as to locate it accurately on the lathe you'd need to replicate the production tooling & even then you'd then run the risk of having to remove so much metal that the position of the disc locating face would be outside design limits.

An option you might consider is having the discs machined on the vehicle, which will give you the absolute minimum runout; however, with the runout you've got at the hub it may well be impossible to true up the discs without going below minimum thickness.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3241081)   #3
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the same problem with my alloy hubs. I thought it was distortion in the disc.

They can be machined on a lathe;without removing too much material.
If you know how.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3241089)   #4
historic racer
Rookie

historic racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
I had the same problem with my alloy hubs. I thought it was distortion in the disc.

They can be machined on a lathe;without removing too much material.
If you know how.
Thought the purpose of this forum was to assist people not give them smug answers
Old 30 Apr 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3241090)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
As an aside Robyn I have had two of those alloy hubs break up on my Anglia and fitted iron ones !
Also they weren't rubbish ones !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Apr 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3241099)   #6
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by historic racer View Post
Thought the purpose of this forum was to assist people not give them smug answers
What was the question??
Old 30 Apr 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3241123)   #7
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Thanks for that Mr B I now know it is not acceptable (without seeing how it is on the track.....!) and will do something about it. Two forward..three back....
Old 30 Apr 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3241144)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A further thought on this - with that much runout on the hub face the wheel's going to be running well out of true!
Old 30 Apr 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3241155)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
A further thought on this - with that much runout on the hub face the wheel's going to be running well out of true!
Too late to edit, so:

. . . or maybe not. Reading the original post again, I see it's an older-type hub, so the disc probably mounts on the back face of the hub rather than the front face as I'd assumed. If so, it's not such a difficult machining job as the front face can be used as a datum. Depends if you can get it done for free!
Old 1 May 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3241251)   #10
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Yes, goes on rear of Hub and No, I don't have that kind of machinery to hand...it is all quite odd, 5 thou out here minus 5 there 10 there. New it is then...