Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Jun 2013, 04:46 (Ref:3269325)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Won't be much ford v holden rivalry next year if Ford don't renew their contracts with FPR!

I hope they do, but I suspect FPR will transform to another brand of car!
Doesnt mean DJR couldnt run as a lone Ford in a sea of Holdens & Imports... it happened once or twice before...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Jun 2013, 05:50 (Ref:3269345)   #27
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Doesnt mean DJR couldnt run as a lone Ford in a sea of Holdens & Imports... it happened once or twice before...
They could, but without FPR engineering help and a real budget they're gonna be back markers at best, which isn't going to be much interest to anyone.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 08:55 (Ref:3269407)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chassis engineering would carry over, if a further deal to affiliate was struck. They already have their own separate engine program.

Only other aspect is aero. Should the need arise, where DJR would need to homologate a new Ford body, would Ford Australia bare the costs?
Old 25 Jun 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3269415)   #29
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being able to open the bonnet and see a particular manufactures engine nestled there comes at a (LARGE) price.
Obviously you Western Islanders have a large population and bigger economy so maybe you can afford that distinction.
Does it make the racing better?
Old 25 Jun 2013, 09:42 (Ref:3269420)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Being able to open the bonnet and see a particular manufactures engine nestled there comes at a (LARGE) price.
Obviously you Western Islanders have a large population and bigger economy so maybe you can afford that distinction.
Does it make the racing better?
It makes the cars dissimilar in engine performance because they are different under the bonnet

This also pleases the marketers immensely, having their engine under the bonnet

Would a Nissan Altima's performance still be as lauded or as popular at Nissan HQ if it still had a KR Chev under the bonnet??
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3270151)   #31
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It makes the cars dissimilar in engine performance because they are different under the bonnet

This also pleases the marketers immensely, having their engine under the bonnet

Would a Nissan Altima's performance still be as lauded or as popular at Nissan HQ if it still had a KR Chev under the bonnet??
Largely agree but mostly ignoring the main point of my post.

You cut your cloth accordingly. Spec engine in the kiwi car controls cost.
The total NZ season (7 rounds) costs about the same as a single SC round.

In a country where money is tight and manufacturers have little interest it is the only way.
SC is a far bigger pony. But isn't plain sailing financially.
The bloke on the bank doesn't care and often doesn't know. Nor care to know.

The nasty man from Jaguar (see Adcafe) recognises that the cost/return ratio is wrong for their brand.
The history of Motorsport is littered with categories that tied their aspirations to manufacturers. Brand dealerships have passion, manufacturers have business strategies
Old 29 Jun 2013, 06:03 (Ref:3271497)   #32
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
There most certainly was rivalry between Nissan and the rest, most of it being off the track.

The same has always gone for Ford vs Holden as well.

You have made it quite clear your dislike for Group A (despite the fact that at the same time you admit you were not around for it), i'm not sure what your trying to prove with this post
Just cause I said it was boring doesn't mean I hated it, I found some V8 Supercar and F1 races this year pretty average, doesn't mean I hate it.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3271525)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Largely agree but mostly ignoring the main point of my post.

In a country where money is tight and manufacturers have little interest it is the only way.
SC is a far bigger pony. But isn't plain sailing financially.

The nasty man from Jaguar (see Adcafe) recognises that the cost/return ratio is wrong for their brand.
The history of Motorsport is littered with categories that tied their aspirations to manufacturers. Brand dealerships have passion, manufacturers have business strategies
The nasty man from Jaguar needs to change his vocation if he thinks amazingly positive comments like that are going to sell him even one more Jaguar.

Money is amazingly tight in this country. We are in the grips of a recession-like event (although nobody wants to say it) with the big corporates dumping staff as easily as the cleaner empties the bins every night..

And yet, of the companies that are struggling, the motor industry at a retail level, doesnt seem to be one of them. A multi franchise dealer here will do rather nicely, being able to sell a range of product and not relying on the staple home grown Ford/Holden/Toyota.. Distributors are largely doing rather well as well.

If these guys are making money, and the corporates are unwilling or unable to invest the sums involved to keep the dream alive, its a natural fit for teams to go a'chasing manufacturers.

The series has a large infrastructure, with at least 10 people per REC (and likely many more in some) employed in the construction, preparation & tuning of racing car equipment. There arent many series' in the southern hemisphere than can boast an industry of this size...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Jun 2013, 01:20 (Ref:3271744)   #34
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is beyond embarrassing to v8sc, if the stat is true.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is totally accurate. Manufacturer/dealer support, cars that can be considered their own somewhat, does add to the relevance or legitimacy to a series. But I'm not sure if a large portion of spectators care if it's a 7 litre motor, 5, or even four, once it's known it's big enough.

Quote:
Brand dealerships have passion, manufacturers have business strategies
Yeah, I like the idea of there being dealer teams instead on manufacturer support. But I'm not sure it's something you can regulate.

Quote:
The nasty man from Jaguar needs to change his vocation if he thinks amazingly positive comments like that are going to sell him even one more Jaguar.
Do almost all people even care he said what he said? Is it really going to put someone off buying a Jag?