Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Sep 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2952643)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peter Brock - 5 Years On and Still Remembered

Today, as you are all probably aware, marks the 5th anniversary of the passing of Peter Brock.

There is a great depth of footage of Peter in racing action, and a large number of tributes - some of these have been covered today on Speedcafe.

I would like to pay tribute to Neil Crompton's emphatic and passionate tribute in trying circumstances on behalf of the motorsport community. Today is the first time I have ever seen his tribute coverage. Moving is an understatement.

Peter Brock was many things to many people, but when you view the statistics, and you realise the depth of following and affection that fans granted him, there is no doubt left that he is one of the greatest racing drivers that Australia has ever produced.

After watching some of the YouTube footage, and given the day, it is hard to provide a fitting rememberance for Peter Brock over and above what has been said.

Rest assured, I can tell you exactly where I was when I learnt the news - the stature of the man so personally profound on me that he spurned my interest in motorsport, just as he did for Neil Crompton.

I am confident that I am not alone in wondering what Peter might have achieved in the 5 years that he hasn't been with us. He never seemed to want to tire or falter, he just kept on going.

Whilst Peter was taken too soon, he achieved far more in his life than many others could in three. And for that, we have to salute him!
Old 8 Sep 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2952645)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well said JDI
Old 8 Sep 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2952698)   #3
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read a couple of editorials today on the V8site and Speedcafe about Neil Crompton and his involvement in the funeral and his past experience with Brocky and it brought a tear to my eye.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2952741)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
5 years on and Im still crying..RIP Brocky , words cannot describe
Old 9 Sep 2011, 07:43 (Ref:2953028)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
5 years on and Im still crying..RIP Brocky , words cannot describe
same here mate.

here here JDI.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2953061)   #6
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 years where did that go, RIP Brocky thanks for the memories and I am so glad to have met and raced you on the Targa.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2953122)   #7
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true Aussie legend, as deserved in staus as Bradman or Brabham; and as Mr Ingall once said; "half the (current) field - if they were honest - wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Brock".

These are the links for the Speedcafe remembrances:

From Neil Crompton

From Dick Johnson

From Peter Champion

Last edited by Forda; 9 Sep 2011 at 12:51.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2953464)   #8
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The King is dead. Long live the King !
Old 12 Sep 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2954229)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard to believe it is five years RIP
Old 15 Sep 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2956118)   #10
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
richie17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race In Peace Brocky.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3300323)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 8 Sep 2013, 09:36 (Ref:3300432)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was sitting at my desk when 3AW stated that Sky News was reporting that Peter Brock had been killed.

I turned to a fellow rev head work mate (Ford fan) and told him and we just sat there for a minute in disbelief.

There was a State Round at Sandown that weekend and they reckon you could hear a pin drop after they announced it on the Pit PA.

A couple of us were chatting with Jon Davison (Sandown promoter back then) about the State Funeral that had been announced and the next thing Davo was on the phone starting to arrange the public memorial that was held at Sandown the following Friday.

They had no trouble finding volunteers to help run it on the day as most of Sandown's volunteer marshals turned up early to help out.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3300882)   #13
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard to believe this was 7 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjyPgCnS18

I love that for his last REAL hit out, he was hammering that car like he was 25. At 52, he was entertaining the crowd and giving us all he could. Just like he always did, even that horrid day 7 years ago.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3300893)   #14
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn.t know much about what he did in racing as I used to go to events like the Sandown 500, watch the Gold Star race and then go home.

However I got to know him fairly well during the Team Brock/PWR era and he seemed to be a fairly nice fellow, who apparently had some success in Touring Car racing.

So it was interesting for me when he passed away in some fairly unimportant event as did the great Jim Clark.

Perhaps he just loved motorsport and the competition.