Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Oct 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3312874)   #76
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Chase was a good solution for the day. As time has gone on speeds have increased introducing new dangers.
I think its a fantastic corner.
Unless you have a brake failure, but then any corner sucks with no brakes
Old 6 Oct 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3313869)   #77
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Yes, higher speed = a higher risk, but its nothing more than a round figure.
Not round, square. Momentum increases by the square of the speed, thus increasing from 295 to 310 takes a lot of extra stopping and equates to a significantly harder hit if it doesn't stop. Doubt the spectators can tell the difference anyway so why increase the risk just for the sake of it?
Old 6 Oct 2013, 23:58 (Ref:3313891)   #78
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Not round, square. Momentum increases by the square of the speed, thus increasing from 295 to 310 takes a lot of extra stopping and equates to a significantly harder hit if it doesn't stop. Doubt the spectators can tell the difference anyway so why increase the risk just for the sake of it?
Its not for the spectators... these engines will likely rat-a-tat-tat against the limiter for a good portion of Conrod Straight, between the top of the hump and the left-right swing into the Chase... these engines dont like hitting the hard cut for too long.. it will eventually damage the engines as the programmed spark/fuel cutout causes the engine to pop and bang its head off...

They were doing it at Sandown for quite a ways along the back straight... more than one driver was suggesting they were looking for 7th gear down the straight...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 7 Oct 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3313910)   #79
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
... these engines will likely rat-a-tat-tat against the limiter for a good portion of Conrod Straight, between the top of the hump and the left-right swing into the Chase...
Is the control diff ratio for Bathurst the same as last year with the new COTF Albins transaxle? Is the tyre circumference of the lower profile 18" tyre the same as the old 17s? If revs stay fixed at 7500rpm, not much else they can play with to affect potential top speed. I wonder if the Sandown diff ratio changed from 2012 to 2013, or did they have the same issue last year?
Old 7 Oct 2013, 01:08 (Ref:3313916)   #80
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Is the control diff ratio for Bathurst the same as last year with the new COTF Albins transaxle? Is the tyre circumference of the lower profile 18" tyre the same as the old 17s? If revs stay fixed at 7500rpm, not much else they can play with to affect potential top speed. I wonder if the Sandown diff ratio changed from 2012 to 2013, or did they have the same issue last year?
The aero is definitely different to last year.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3313924)   #81
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pretty much same-same for the Fords, although in theory, undernieth the rear of the car will be different from an aerodynamicist's perspective.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3313989)   #82
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
If I can ask a question, the wall that Don Watson hit was much further back, and the car was I think rolling already, but how much further back?
The wall that Watson hit just over 19 years ago (hard to believe it will be 20 years ago on 29th September next year) was in the location of the strip of grass you can see still there to this day in the gravel trap.

It was there to prevent cars running all the way through the gravel trap like they tend to now it has been removed but obviously no one expected a car to be still going as fast as Watson was that fateful day in 1994

He remained on his wheels right up until he hit the earth filled tyre wall.

I was the first marshal to get to the car this being my first and unfortunately not my last fatal Motorsport crash in my 28 or so years of marshaling

Here's some News coverage of the crash.
http://youtu.be/E8uXz347HD4