Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Aug 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3294287)   #51
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Greg Cozier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the purpose of a world championship to:

1. Expose more live spectators to a sport.
2. Expose competitors to diverse track and climate conditions.
3. Spread the economic pain or gain of hosting such events to more governments/associations/facility owners.
4. Expose drivers from different nations to a higher level of competition to 'improve the breed'.
5. Interest TV viewers in more regions of the world in the sport 'on their doorstep'.
6. Other.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3294336)   #52
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Cozier View Post
Is the purpose of a world championship to:

1. Expose more live spectators to a sport.
2. Expose competitors to diverse track and climate conditions.
3. Spread the economic pain or gain of hosting such events to more governments/associations/facility owners.
4. Expose drivers from different nations to a higher level of competition to 'improve the breed'.
5. Interest TV viewers in more regions of the world in the sport 'on their doorstep'.
6. Other.
6 - Make money for the organisers.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3310128)   #53
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From today’s FIA WMSC meeting at Dubrovnik in Croatia:

“Following the proposal by the Promoter of the FIA European Rallycross Championship, the WMSC has approved the creation of a new FIA World Rallycross Championship from 2014, on the condition the calendar is based on a total of 11 or 12 events, with nine or 10 European events plus one event in Asia or Africa and one event on the American continent. The formats of the FIA European Rallycross Championships for the support categories, TouringCar and Super1600, are maintained, with the calendar comprising the European events in the World Championship. The format of the European Championship for the flagship category, SuperCar, will be adapted and concentrated over five of the 10 European events in the World Championship. This will also have a specific classification for non-permanent drivers not entered in the entirety of the World Championship.”
Old 27 Sep 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3310205)   #54
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So in 2012 we had the Erc proven over many years!
2013 Fia roll over and swallow the IMG Championships,
After its first year the Fia roll over and deem a world championship is plausible and tag un to the IMG Rallycross. Utter ****** too much to soon, greedy people in the wrong places rinsing rallycross for there own gains. Yep the debut year went well but Jesus come on! Too much too soon. Laughable...
Old 27 Sep 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3310224)   #55
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the European Championship for Supercars will be five rounds of the World Championship? Or do they mean five rounds of the European Championship will also count for the World Championship??
Old 27 Sep 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3310233)   #56
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
up to 12 events for 2014 under FIA/IMG
9 or 10 in ERC
5 of those ERC + 1 africa/asia + 1 America = WRX
1600/Touringcar as 'support race' also during ERC rounds counting for WRX championship (as in not in africa/asia or US rounds)
WRX only supercars
Some point system for non permanent drivers not doing the full WRX... whatever that may mean, I can't make chocolate of it as we say in .nl
I think that should say something totally different. Something about ERC only champion and ERC+WRX driver championship point system. We'll see.
Old 28 Sep 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3310394)   #57
ClintonRX
Rookie

England
Nr Ashford
ClintonRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
greedy people in the wrong places rinsing rallycross for there own gains.
Says it all!
Old 28 Sep 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3310402)   #58
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrossnl View Post
up to 12 events for 2014 under FIA/IMG
9 or 10 in ERC
5 of those ERC + 1 africa/asia + 1 America = WRX
1600/Touringcar as 'support race' also during ERC rounds counting for WRX championship (as in not in africa/asia or US rounds)
WRX only supercars
Some point system for non permanent drivers not doing the full WRX... whatever that may mean, I can't make chocolate of it as we say in .nl
I think that should say something totally different. Something about ERC only champion and ERC+WRX driver championship point system. We'll see.
I understand it the other way:
9/10 Euro events + Afrika or Azia + USA = WRX
5 Euro events = ERX

I think they do this to make sure the WRX drivers do all Euro rounds, not only the WRX rounds. Wich other supercar drivers would drive the ERC?
Old 28 Sep 2013, 15:43 (Ref:3310426)   #59
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
That could be. It isn't THE easiest set of words to explain something.

Anyway, my prediction for THE top 3
TT
Baby blue
Loeb
Foust
WRX That is, who cares about ERC anymore nog we have WRX!
Old 28 Sep 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3310519)   #60
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
I understand it the other way:
9/10 Euro events + Afrika or Azia + USA = WRX
5 Euro events = ERX
This is how I understand it for the Supercars; glad I'm not the only one struggling to interpret that press release!

I personally thought that the 2013 season was good, but do wonder if this is a bit too much of a leap. With this definitely getting the green light I also wonder if it will affect the GRC? A "proper" World Rallycross Championship is surely more appealing than a series that is, for the most part, something tacked on to X-Games events?...
Old 29 Sep 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3310558)   #61
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
Yeah after re-reading it 4 times that's what it says, that way the last sentence makes sense too. Would have corrected my post earlier but I don't like typing english on a dutch keyboarded Ipooddle pad thing that isn't mine and couldn't change the settings off without the owner panicking.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3310708)   #62
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
A "proper" World Rallycross Championship is surely more appealing than a series that is, for the most part, something tacked on to X-Games events?...
GRX had races in Brazil, Germany and Spain. That's more than the new World Rallycross proposes.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3310755)   #63
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May it be so, but it's FIA to decide about a World championship, not ESPN nor GRC.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3310976)   #64
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
GRX had races in Brazil, Germany and Spain. That's more than the new World Rallycross proposes.
True, but not a single event in the GRC takes place on a "proper" rallycross circuit. Brazil was, for the most part, a bit of a disaster in terms of the rallycross, wasn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed watching the GRC, but I'm assuming that the World Rallycross Championship events are going to be held on something closer to a "proper" circuit. Plus they won't have the 10 car first corner lottery...
Old 30 Sep 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3311014)   #65
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
12 rounds is far too many, surely? Or are TV deals dictating this?

I wish they had just built the WRXC around a few really great events at the very best circuits. We need a world championship made of 'grand prix' of the old-fashioned sort to breathe life into the format - and tracks like Brands where cars can stretch their legs. Most of the tight Euro tracks are not 'world championship' circuits in my eyes.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3311056)   #66
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
12 rounds is far too many, surely? Or are TV deals dictating this?

I wish they had just built the WRXC around a few really great events at the very best circuits. We need a world championship made of 'grand prix' of the old-fashioned sort to breathe life into the format - and tracks like Brands where cars can stretch their legs. Most of the tight Euro tracks are not 'world championship' circuits in my eyes.
I wonder if the 9 European rounds are dictated by the fact that all the circuits paid for the next 10 years, so now they're stuck with them...

I just hope that Lydden isn't first on the calendar, suffered from depleted fields cos of that.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3312524)   #67
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
Be assured that they didn't pay for 10 years upfront. They might have contractually commited for (3 up to) 10 years ERC/IMG.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3320077)   #68
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
No news about how many drivers there will be in the WRX? I hope IMG won't pull the 16 car round robin idea from the shelf it so wisely left it at this year.