Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jul 2002, 14:52 (Ref:338172)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The Rumour Was True

STOP PRESS: Alonso replaces Button at Renault for 2003

Briton thanked for his efforts, but out of a drive

Spanish sensation Fernando Alonso will replace Jenson Button at Renault next year, it was announced today (Saturday) at Magny-Cours.

This from Autosport.com!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 14:59 (Ref:338178)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
What a shock.

(I'm trying to sound surprised. Really I am.)

Although it's a shame for Button, I think it's great for Alonso (and Button must have had plenty of time to think about other drives because everyone's been talking about him losing his seat since last year).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 Jul 2002, 15:08 (Ref:338181)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
button might have kept his seat if he had just kept his mouth shut. last year, he was like "i will win for renult" this year its "i will be on the podium, i will score points" he promised the world, but deliverd an atlas. ppl with big mouths dont get on in F1, just ask Irvine. talnted, yes. popular with team bosses, no. i cant wait to see Alonso in the renult next year, he will fly!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 15:08 (Ref:338182)   #4
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't really a surprise in the end, Flavio has now got his two most prized drivers, Trulli and Alonso.

I, like most other Brits, am disappointed that he has lost his drive, but at the same time I'm so glad that Alonso has got a decent race seat in F1 at last. Like Button, he is a future WDC, and if he can put in the sort of performances he did when he was at Minardi, then he is looking at a very good season in 2003.

So is it Toyota, BAR, Sauber or Jaguar for Button ??
Old 20 Jul 2002, 15:15 (Ref:338189)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark F1
Flavio has now got his two most prized drivers, Trulli and Alonso.
Rather ironic that on the day Flavour Flav announces the replacing of Jenson, Jens out qualifies his prized driver! Jenson looked well pleased with himself when Trulli failed to pip him on the last qualifying run!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 15:17 (Ref:338191)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Jenson looked well pleased with himself when Trulli failed to pip him on the last qualifying run!
It doesn't make much difference though - Jenson's the one packing his bags and looking for another team.

I think it's been a done deal for quite some time - with Button being contracted to another team and Alonso on a long-term contract with Renault, was it ever really in any doubt who'd be driving for them in 2003?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 Jul 2002, 15:40 (Ref:338200)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even throughout his superb early-season form, Jenson never looked likely to hold onto this drive. Its a shame really, but whatever he'll be doing next season won't give him much chance of threatening for wins.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 15:47 (Ref:338208)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No great surprise, Briatore just could bare to keep the better driver.

Button in a Sauber sounds good.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 16:01 (Ref:338217)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keeps Flav that much richer having 2 of his drivers driving for him ....mmmmm., anyone smell a rat here ?
Old 20 Jul 2002, 16:13 (Ref:338227)   #10
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it seems he only went to head up Renault's challenge to be in a position to line his own pockets!!

I smell a bloody big rat here!!!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 16:17 (Ref:338233)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
anyway ...enough about Nicki Lauda !!!
sorry couldnt resist that one....

back to the thread of Flav and his personal money making machine.

Last edited by Sato san; 20 Jul 2002 at 16:18.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 16:30 (Ref:338245)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ralf's Girl is spot on - this was pretty obvious especially with Flavio running the team. Why would Renault hang on to a driver who is on a long term contract with another team?

Has Jenson done well this year? He sure has. Especially in the first few races - but I think Alonso deserves his chance. He did really well at Minardi last year and if he can convert that into strong race performances next season then he should give Trulli a run for his money.

As for Button, the next few days will obviously clear up his future. BAR or Jaguar seem to be the two most talked about teams for JB alongwith Sauber - personally I would stay away from both teams if I were him - Sauber would probably be the best option - the man knows how to run a team.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 16:55 (Ref:338252)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now is the time for Williams to act. Bring out the axe! JB and JPM sounds really good to me. Hell I might even become a Williams fan. Oh hell no!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 16:59 (Ref:338255)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
would be a good pairing , and at least they would have 2 drivers that could manage a smile
Old 20 Jul 2002, 17:03 (Ref:338260)   #15
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe this deal was done last season.
It looks like as similar situation to the Hill/Frentzen/Williams situation of 96. Hill was ousted based on his 95 performance and not his title winning year.

Button was shabby in 2001, Alonso was pretty hot. Go figure.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 17:24 (Ref:338279)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SOMETHING is going on at Williams.

Don't worry, nothing to back this statement up!! I'm just having one of my "feelings".
Old 20 Jul 2002, 17:35 (Ref:338292)   #17
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault! Why not just re-name the team Briatore Fiddling.

Once again internal politics has robbed a british driver of a race seat for doing nothing wrong.

But I have to know, how would Trulli have a drive without Briatore? "He's demon quick over one lap" they say. But which lap is that exactly? Lap 27, installation laps?
The only team-mate he has dominated has been Katayama, and since then, Panis, Frentzen, and now Button have made the Italian look ordinary. Even Shinji Nakano kept him honest in '97.

Let's face it. He's just too inconsistent over a race distance (and a season's length) to be among the best.

Alonso will cane him next year.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 17:43 (Ref:338296)   #18
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
Yeah, it seems he only went to head up Renault's challenge to be in a position to line his own pockets!!

Flav is Flav. Anyone who is aware of his past exploits knows that this is the sort of stunt he'd pull. So I'm not at all surprised at this announcement. In fact I could see it coming.

But that doesn't make me feel any better about what he's done! Grrr... But with Button still contracted to Williams and Ralf's fear of passing, something might happen in the long term.

Here's hoping anyway.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 17:43 (Ref:338297)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
MAYBE.....but at least Renualt have still ended up with 2 decent drivers. Even if it is a bit of a con , that both Flavs drivers have got seats with his team . At least Jense hasnt been replaced by a no hoper.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 18:32 (Ref:338321)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He sure hasn't, and it's nothing more than right that Fernando Alonso has a race seat for next year. That guy is great, I've been a fan of his ever since I saw his marvellous drives in International F3000, and I think it's fantastic that his talent is now rewarded with a good step up the ladder to drive for this promising team. Great news!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 18:53 (Ref:338326)   #21
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania

As for Button, the next few days will obviously clear up his future. BAR or Jaguar seem to be the two most talked about teams for JB alongwith Sauber - personally I would stay away from both teams if I were him - Sauber would probably be the best option - the man knows how to run a team.
Can't agree here Mania. Whether or not Sauber can score more points in the immediate future is of no consequence. Where are they going? No major works support - in fact, they have to pay through the nose for old spec engines.

At least BAR and Jaguar can boast VAST budgets and the promise of future improvement. Sauber in their current state are like Jordan - a permanent treadwater team who will be midfield/high midfield at best. But champions? Never.

Button should do BAR (Honda) or Jaguar (Ford). I fear he'll go for Sauber.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 18:54 (Ref:338327)   #22
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by O'Schumacher
"He's demon quick over one lap" they say. But which lap is that exactly? Lap 27, installation laps?
How about the Qualifying Lap?
After today, it's
Truli - Button 7-4
Old 20 Jul 2002, 19:19 (Ref:338337)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently Jenson's known since the British GP that he'd be dropped next year, now's the time to turn on the talent 110% and go for it to make Renault(or Flav) regret their decision.

Not that I don't think Alonso's a good driver but I have a feeling Button's only been dropped on the fact that he *isn't* a Renault driver but a Williams contracted driver.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 19:21 (Ref:338338)   #24
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
How about the Qualifying Lap?
After today, it's
Truli - Button 7-4
You are only as good as your last result. Button blew Trulli away again today as he has been during races all year.

Trulli is a good qualifier but in all honesty a no hoper who we all know in ourhearts will never be a world champion. If he was any good at all he would be 11-0 ahead of Button because he has three seasons more experience.

Button is a loss to the team and they can look to scoring fewer points next year without him.

Alonso is very good but I suspect like Trulli is ultimately overrated.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 19:45 (Ref:338344)   #25
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The wrong mans packing his bags in my view, Trulli is staying only because of his ties with Flavio and certainly not on merit.
To drop your best driver can only underline insider dealings as Button has proved fautless in his efforts to being Renault success.
As for Alonso I disagree he is anything special and hope Renault and their new drivers fall flat on thier faces next year after this decision.