Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:31 (Ref:355549)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giaffone wins

Felipe Giaffone won the race at Kentucky.

Sam Hornish Jr takes the points lead.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:39 (Ref:355555)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great race . My heart was in my mouth so many times ...That was so exciting , it made the Cart race from Mid Ohio look like a sunday drive in the country .
Old 11 Aug 2002, 22:29 (Ref:355585)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I almost fell asleep half-way through the CART race.. most Formula 1 races this year have been better!

Can't wait to see the IRL race (which I won't get until next week).
Old 12 Aug 2002, 11:15 (Ref:355902)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
havent seen the cart race yet, but guess it must have been exciting - cant wait until espn comes on foxtel in september so we can see these irl races.... pity that there will be only 2 races left

congrats to felipe who has been around the mark since he started in the irl
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:42 (Ref:356033)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to see Little Al back and threatening to punch out Giaffone...17 days of rehab cured half of his problem apparently. Maybe Tony Stewart can give him the number of his anger management counselor. You would think Al would have the sense to keep a low profile.

And by the by I was at Mid Ohio and yes there was not a lot of passing but there was close racing at a very demanding track. TV does not do that track justice - the elevation changes alone are amazing.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:48 (Ref:356049)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
And by the by I was at Mid Ohio and yes there was not a lot of passing but there was close racing at a very demanding track. TV does not do that track justice - the elevation changes alone are amazing.
Does it ever? But since I live in Sweden, seeing the races on TV is what I have to settle for and also base my opinions on.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 13:05 (Ref:356074)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Rustyfan, I stood at top of the straight looking DOWN towards the bridge on the pit straight - way cool. I envy you by the way as you are much more able to get to the Euro tracks and also the WRC events! Cheers!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 15:58 (Ref:356165)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Watched Mid-Ohio, as it ended just as I had to leave for work. So the VCR recorded Kentucky from that point onward, meaning that I missed the first half of the race. But then when I got home, what I saw was really entertaining! Great to see Unser, Renna, Fisher doing so well. But there must have been alot of caution laps (again), as the tape ended with seven laps to go! I stared at the blank screen in disbelief for a minute before resorting to the internet to get the results.

Question: What happened to deFerran?

Last edited by macdaddy; 12 Aug 2002 at 15:58.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 16:10 (Ref:356170)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Whoa! Another question! What happened in the pits? Just found out that two guys were hurt, one rather seriously. Did Renna come in too hot and lock up?
Old 12 Aug 2002, 16:13 (Ref:356174)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
There were 7 cautions for 50 laps, but only three cars out due to accidents.

The entire race lasted for 1 hour and 59 minutes, so it wasn't unusually long or anything.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 16:16 (Ref:356178)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Perhaps not, but I set the VCR to stop at 3:03, and there they were still running. Usually I know better, and let the tape run long, but my kids were whining about not being able to watch cartoons all afternoon so I kept my hoarding of the TV to a minimum.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 16:25 (Ref:356183)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
I think the biggest reason it went as long as it did was the crash between Scheckter and Dare - seemed like it took quite a while to get it cleaned up.

That's just the impression I got from the live timing & scoring though.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 16:26 (Ref:356185)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
From the IRL's website:

Bernie Hallisky, the left-rear tire changer for Kelley Racing’s No. 78 entry, is in fair condition at Methodist Hospital. Hallisky underwent surgery Aug. 11 for a compound fracture of his right leg, multiple fractures in his pelvis and a left hip fracture, said Scheid, who performed the operation.

Rusty Hurford, also a crewmember for the No. 78 entry driven by Tony Renna, was transported to Carroll County Hospital in Carollton, Ky. after the same pit road accident. Hurford was released late Aug. 11 after treatment for a minor neck injury.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 19:33 (Ref:356286)   #14
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The CART race was great. IRL needs some road courses to be good.