Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Dec 2015, 12:39 (Ref:3600521)   #1
andmark4389
Rookie

andmark4389 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry Ashmore's Elan Plus 2

Hello chaps. Wonder if any of you can help...

I've been asked to sort out and sell the Elan Plus 2 that was raced in the 1970s by Gerry Ashmore and Max Payne. It was an old mate of mine's pride and joy but he's just passed and his widow has no idea what to do with the car.

I think the best thing is to apply for an HTP and see where we go from there. The car and its specification are both well known but the FIA needs period evidence that its specification differed from the homologated one - which it did, although not by much. It also needs to have run in that spec in an International race.

As far as I know, it started life with a lightweight shell which came from Lotus, along with brakes and uprights from a Lotus 47 - hence the knock on wheels and large rears with arch flares. Engine I believe also came from Lotus but was still a 1600cc twin cam. Pity Lotus didn't supply an engine from a 62 or somesuch...

I have results from April 25th 1970 at Silverstone (Daily Express) where the car finished 22nd. Not sure if that was an international though. There was a third in class at the 1971 Norisring 200kms race, and a non finish (classified 25th) at the Nurburgring 300kms in 1972, both of which were definitely Internationals.

It did a fair amount of Modsports in various hands over the years - I drove it at a Boxing Day Brands in about 1974 or '75 - but it hasn't been on the tracks for probably 20 years now.

It would be possible simply to take off the 47 parts and the rear wheel arches, and that would allow it to conform to the homologated spec, but that's not how it was raced.

There's no doubt that this is the car, but any period evidence (like a feature in a magazine), or pictures from the races would help enormously.

Let me know, thanks

Mark Hales
Old 28 Dec 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3600541)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Best of luck Mark.

The difficulty seems to be HTP's with no pragmatic input by the inspectors or FIA.

Pity as they are good blokes and helpful but have their hands tied by the people in Paris.

Need to get French papers!
Old 28 Dec 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3600591)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Mark, may be worth copying the request onto Motorsport History as well. There's a lot of knowledge of old events on there, and some may not read 'HRT'. Maybe a mod can do it......
Old 3 Jan 2016, 10:20 (Ref:3601740)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Copied over as suggested.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 4 Jan 2016, 05:32 (Ref:3601939)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good luck Mark. I have a very similar situation. I know that the "powers that be" are trying to do something but at the moment it's a case of wait and see.
Old 4 Jan 2016, 07:05 (Ref:3601944)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark, sounds like you've just embarked on a possibly long journey.
RE the 72 Ring event, have you heard of Ringportal nl? Some of the photographers on there (long list) could well have photographic evidence of how the car looked, could shorten that journey.