Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 7 Aug 2002, 21:54 (Ref:352661)   #1
kosidog
Rookie

kosidog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Coombe FF1600 Questions

With a grid of 37 Class A and Class B cars at the 3rd Aug meeting made up of 18 Class A cars and 19 Class B cars is it not time that the race organisers allowed each class to race separately? I know that the organisers have tight time restrictions fitting all the races into the day’s schedule but the racers of FF1600 pay good money for their 10 laps of glory and they pay 10 times more when it goes pear shaped.
They also bring a lot of spectator followers to each meeting.
The race meeting could be organised that Class A and B race 8 laps each and there is a combined race of Class A and B of 8 laps. Grid positions for the combined race would be determined by qualifying lap times. I feel that it would make a better day out for all FF1600 drivers, crew, family, friends and spectators.
I would also like to ask the organisers of Castle Coombe, what the spectator response would be if there were no FF1600 races at Castle Coombe?
Drivers, crew, family or spectators, what is your view?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 07:35 (Ref:352817)   #2
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, it has to the point of 2 races. Even though the circuit licence is for 35 car there were 37 that turned up and it was only that 2 cars didnt make it from qualifing incidents that all was well. It would also bring 2 FF1600 races in 1 meet to which the spectators im sure would love. From the threads i've read here about Combe more are interested in FF1600 and GT's then other races on the agenda. I'm sure this would also attract more competitor to the FF1600 championship. The sponsors of the classes im sure would also like this. However I would say that the actual "racing" would be not as good. I feel the field would be spread out more and less scraps would take place.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 14:42 (Ref:353140)   #3
Patrick
Rookie

Patrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be good but, as Richard pointed out there would not be as many scraps. It is nice to see the class B cars taking on the class A cars and winning sometimes, like Matt Rivett last year. Also this year drivers such as Richard Misters and Andrew Jones have been taking on the class A cars. All these battles would be lost if the grid was split.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 15:04 (Ref:353153)   #4
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps trial it out at the two-day meeting in September to see if it works or not?!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 15:05 (Ref:353156)   #5
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
I think that would be a good idea. it would be nice to win and not finish 7th! It would help clarify what position your in during the race aswell.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:44 (Ref:353335)   #6
Andrew Jones
Rookie

Wales
Castle Combe
Andrew Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you Richard after the first lap chaos the field would be more spread out. Rather than split our race in two I quite fancy keeping the FF1600 as is, and a new Zetec chapionship being introduced to Combe to give us something to progress onto. The other thing that might be good is just one race at another circuit that would count towards out championship but not the same circuit every year so that there is a bit of variaty and to gain experiance of other circuits.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 21:19 (Ref:353413)   #7
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a spectator with over 30 years of viewing every class of racing at Combe (only one 'O' in combe Kosidog) including the halcyon days of F5000 & Fomula Libre, may I just say that the current FF1600 series has been one of the most exciting, entertaining, enthralling, exhilirating (alliteration of E's) race series for many years & one that many circuits, including the big buggers, would give their eye tooth for to have on their programmes. If its not bust dont fix it, if you like the taste dont dilute it & if you dont like the heat............. The mix of class A & B has been one of the series strong points & whilst I admire Matt's activities now & when he was in Class B, lets not forget Adrian Cottrell's Class B exploits from a few seasons ago. You cant keep a good driver from the front. Please keep up the full grids, not often that you see them at other circuits, but if the numbers continue to swell there is always the solution of a Qualifying race so that everyone gets to have an actual race and not be bumped out because of practice difficulties. Believe me, the reason that this series is such a spectator success is down to seeing lots of cars on the circuit at one time. I know because I've listened to so many people talking about it on the embankments. To all competitors, its fabulous, keep up the good work!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 08:25 (Ref:353638)   #8
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
But if its split into 2 races im sure that will attract more competitors. I personally would prefer a race with a full grid of 1 class cars, easier for the spectator too. I also think the reason for the spectator success with the FF1600 is because the grid is so big and so varied that you are guaranteed shunts, and unfortunately 'most' spectators want action. I know this as I sat out race a earlier this year and watched it from Camp. Spectators were cheering/clapping at a shunt. Im not saying all are like this just most.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 22:25 (Ref:358750)   #9
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like the full grid and the mix of classes.
There are some fast class A drivers and somegreat class B drivers. The mix gives drivers a change to shine, the comments from races gone where a class B car wins outright or an A class car laps the whole field etc, makes some races almost legendary.

The bottom line is not matter what car your in the driving will come through and show drivers for their true tallent, and it make some great racing.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 08:10 (Ref:358871)   #10
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
yeap see your point but the grids are overflowing now and Combe could still get full grids with a single class by expanding. plus that will give spectators 2 FF races.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:42 (Ref:359078)   #11
darcym
Veteran

I am greedy though, and with stiff prices for CC race entry I would like to get the 2 races myself without having to bring 2 cars to the track.

I understand where your coming from as 2 seperate classes would bring a "fair" racing field, however I think there would be a small group at the front the odd guy in the middle and a couple at the back. I know you said you could fill the grids out, but I am not sure if that would really happen as I think the last race was the first time this year the grid as been %100 full.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:47 (Ref:359083)   #12
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
it more that when im 2nd or 3rd in class i spend more time counting and recognising cars in front to see who is the leader. First race of the year I won the class and didnt even know it. I think it just confuses the spectators and also takes away the glory of the pre 90 cars. Must admit that the only time ive seen more than the 35 limit, but the norm is usually 30-34. I'd like to have 1 race with B's only (only if there are more cars) just to see what its like. Are you a B or A darcym? you racing at the next one?
Old 19 Aug 2002, 14:47 (Ref:361297)   #13
darcym
Veteran

Thats a fair point Richard,

the class b cars race just as hard and provide great racing, and I agree that it must be a little messy for the spectators and the class B points scorers should get some much needed glory ! perhaps it would be nice at some point in the year to split them out, for maybe just 1 race ? but that causes the problem of 1/6 places for the class A cars, 1/6 placces for the B car race. If a driver is going for the B class championship and gets 6th overall in a normal rce don't they get the 10 points for winning B and then the 1 point for sixth over all ? this could cause MORE bickering to an already bicker filled arena !

But I agree %100 Class B drivers should get an equall shout at some glory, although don't forget they get a good ammount of respect from fellow drivers (it stings bad when a class B car is a second a lap quicker than you !!!)
Old 19 Aug 2002, 15:03 (Ref:361309)   #14
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
Yeah it would mess the points up a bit, your right. Well I think Combe need to do something as there going to lose drivers. I know because i'm one. I raced Brands last Sat and the atmosphere was so different. It was calm, relaxed jokes between 90% drivers. The field wasnt as big as Combe but soon the SFFC will have more than the 23 on Sat. I cant wait for the next round, and thats something I seemed to of stopped saying at Combe. Good luck next weekend, and I hope there is safe racing by all.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 15:14 (Ref:361320)   #15
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Castle Combe's FF1600 championship is one of the best things about meetings there and it's good to see a full grid. The Southern Formula Ford championship has been split between the Zetecs and the 1600s this year and generally you get about 14 in each race as opposed to a large grid of 28 or so. I think the idea at Combe could be for a qualifying race for the slowest 20 but then the front runners could complain that they only get one race because they're fast and the slower ones get 2. At the end of the day it's survival of the fittest and if 2 fail to qualify tough - do better next time. If there are 8 - 10 not qualifying because it's so oversubscribed then it's time to look again. Then there could be a case for 2 heats and a final just like the old ESSO championship in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The spectator would get 3 FF races - the drivers at least 1 and everyone would be happy! But don't put the final as the last race of the day because not all of us are local!!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 20:12 (Ref:361533)   #16
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
I think thats not a bad idea alfaman. It would almost be like the carnival, where 2 heats decide the final. I suppose the downside would be running costs would increase. Agree about Combe having the best Kent Championship though. It needs to be tamed a little, great for the spectator seeing endless incident and shunts but sooner or later an avoidable incident will happen. Good thread Kosidog (if that is your real name!)