Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Apr 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3634072)   #1
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2016 MSA Flag Rules

Can anyone tell me of any series that include waved surface flags in their regs please?
Old 18 Apr 2016, 08:57 (Ref:3634341)   #2
marcosmantula
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
marcosmantula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Can anyone tell me of any series that include waved surface flags in their regs please?
MSA blue book.

Rule Q15.1(h) Yellow flag with Red Stripes - Waved: Slippery surface imminent.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 09:43 (Ref:3634353)   #3
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The MSA Year Book 2016 (Blue Book) Q.15.1

(g) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Stationary: Slippery
surface ahead.
(h) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Waved: Slippery
surface imminent.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 18 Apr 2016, 10:56 (Ref:3634377)   #4
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
The MSA Year Book 2016 (Blue Book) Q.15.1

(g) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Stationary: Slippery
surface ahead.
(h) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Waved: Slippery
surface imminent.
Thankyou.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3634409)   #5
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
2016 MSA Flag Rules

OK, so I'm now aware that 2016 MSA flag regs call for waved surface flags.

I couldn't make a flag training day this year, so maybe this was covered there.
I don't remember reading about surface flag changes in the much discussed 'all yellow flags shall be waved' discussions - maybe the discussion was that ALL flags would be waved?

Please help this old git out, with this - have I missed a bulletin, thread on here or BMMC etc? It's tres embarrassing to find this out at a major internaional event....
Old 18 Apr 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3634418)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just tidied up by moving the related posts to one thread.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3634421)   #7
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Just tidied up by moving the related posts to one thread.
Thankyou - i did intend creating new thread. I need to be put down, as I can't even manage that at the moment!
Old 18 Apr 2016, 14:30 (Ref:3634460)   #8
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can access the MSA Year Book 2016 via the internet. Scroll to Section Q Circuit Racing and lose a few minutes of your life reading the flag regs

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 18 Apr 2016, 14:40 (Ref:3634462)   #9
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's been in Section Q for *ages*.

I can find (trivially) the BB for 2014-2016 and that rule is in there in all of them.

I can also recall being told back at my first training day in 2010 that the rule existed but nobody used it because it's visually confusing.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3634465)   #10
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That's been in Section Q for *ages*.

I can find (trivially) the BB for 2014-2016 and that rule is in there in all of them.

I can also recall being told back at my first training day in 2010 that the rule existed but nobody used it because it's visually confusing.
I understand it's in the BB.
I cannot recall any conversation about waving a surface flag (I'm confident I'd remember )
Old 18 Apr 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3634467)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Even more trivially, it was in the 2007 Blue Book (J16.1(h)). No doubt someone has an older version than that. . .

Maybe somebody will one day write "The History of the Blue Book"; what a riveting read that would be!
Old 18 Apr 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3634478)   #12
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was just the same in 1997 (J16.1(h) even). And I'm pretty sure it was there when I started in the early 1980s (though I'm not quite sad enough to have kept all of the books).

And in my early training I was definitely told it was worth waving what everyone then called the "oil flag" if you wanted drivers to take any notice, like if the last few cars through had skidded all over the track.

Steve
Old 18 Apr 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3634549)   #13
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In World super bikes all flags are know waved, has been for a while. (also Moto GP)
Old 18 Apr 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3634552)   #14
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the word "waved" in the regulations actually transpires to flaggies (certainly to me anyway) to hold the flag as you would a stationary flag, and then agitate your arms up and down clearly displaying the flag aspect without all the flamboyant figure of eight nascar whipppy-ness.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 19:50 (Ref:3634587)   #15
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
OK, so I'm now aware that 2016 MSA flag regs call for waved surface flags.

I couldn't make a flag training day this year, so maybe this was covered there.
I don't remember reading about surface flag changes in the much discussed 'all yellow flags shall be waved' discussions - maybe the discussion was that ALL flags would be waved?

Please help this old git out, with this - have I missed a bulletin, thread on here or BMMC etc? It's tres embarrassing to find this out at a major internaional event....
There is no change; the wave option has always been there! In training sessions and in trackside training many people say that it should never be waved based on the theory that the red and yellow could blend together and look red. I don't believe that is the case as I have seen it waved and it remains clearly visible as stripy! If you are worried about the blending effect you can always hold it as if stationary but move it about a bit.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 07:45 (Ref:3634733)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHodge View Post
I think the word "waved" in the regulations actually transpires to flaggies (certainly to me anyway) to hold the flag as you would a stationary flag, and then agitate your arms up and down clearly displaying the flag aspect without all the flamboyant figure of eight nascar whipppy-ness.
That's actually quite difficult to see from the driving seat when you're concentrating on not hitting the back bumper of the car mere inches in front of you, all the while dealing with gear shifts and braking at over 100mph. The NASCAR wave actually shows up better! In my experience anyway.

At Llandow karting over the weekend we had red/yellow flags displayed instead of Battenburgs, marshals waving arms like windmills, pulling in flags without putting out greens, great fun! I think the Clerk gave up in despair! I know the drivers did...