Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Oct 2000, 09:25 (Ref:40494)   #1
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know the reasons behind the RAC's refusal to grant Donnington Park permission to call the 1937 and 1938 Donnington Grands Prix the British Grand Prix? Was it because of the German involvement, or rather the overt Nazi involvement with the German teams? Or what?
Old 2 Oct 2000, 09:57 (Ref:40505)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think there were any British GPs until 1950.
Old 3 Oct 2000, 12:51 (Ref:40782)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the truth of the matter is that the RAC was never asked to confer such a title on the events.

The Royal Automobile Club had no part in the organisation of the GP at Donington, the races being a creation of the Derby and Pathfinders Motor Club. The 1937 event, the first that everyone remembers, because of the German works involvement, was merely the THIRD Donington Grand Prix, after their commencement in the 1935 season.

The RAC still had a certain involvement though. At Fred Craner's invitation, the secretary of the RAC was given the honour of wielding the chequered flag to call the victor in.

I think it's just a quirk of history that what was an event no more important than the British Empire Trophy or the BRDC 500 miles was blessed with organisers sharp enough to extend an invitation to the Mercedes Benz and Auto Union teams.

Peter, I must take issue with you over the date of the first British Grand Prix. The first Grand Prix of the Royal Automobile Club of Great Britain was August 7th 1926. And it was run on an artificial road course at BROOKLANDS.

Carry on like that, and pretty soon people will start to believe that there were no Grands Prix AT ALL before 1950.

Oh, hang on - they do already...
Old 3 Oct 2000, 13:03 (Ref:40789)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Peter, I must take issue with you over the date of the first British Grand Prix. The first Grand Prix of the Royal Automobile Club of Great Britain was August 7th 1926. And it was run on an artificial road course at BROOKLANDS.
Yes, but it wasn't the BRITISH Grand Prix because the title "Grand Prix" belonged to the French at the time and they confererred the status of GP to those races they considered worthy. I.E. the French GP.

1949 Silverstone. It was thr RAC Grand Prix, not the British Grand Prix. In 1950 I believe it was the European Grand Prix.
Old 3 Oct 2000, 13:15 (Ref:40790)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not strictly relvant to the topic, but bringing up the pre-war GP's at Donnington reminded me of one of the most fascinating day's racing I ever had.

It was back in 1984 I think, the Donnington 50th anniverasry meeting. I was sat down on a straw bale at the Old Hairpin when this old feller asked if I minded if he sat next to me, and tell him a bit about what was going on. Apparently he hadn't been to a Motor Race since WW2, but as a lad had seen all the pre-war GP's from that same spot.

Two things particularly stuck in my mind, the first was him telling me how the Aces in the Silver Arrows used to interlock wheels so they could pass side by side under Starkey's bridge (for those of you who know Donnington, the old track went through the stone arch in the bridge).

The second was how in the 1938 race a Voiturette (I think he said it was the White Riley) blew up at the top of the Craner Curves and coated them with oil. The only person who didn't spin out in the leading pack was Nouvalari, and it one him the race. I particulary remembered this story 9 years later when I was sat in roughly the same spot and watched Senna carve through that peice of track in the only contemporary GP at Donnington.

Old 3 Oct 2000, 13:26 (Ref:40794)   #6
angst
Veteran

The British Grand Prix should have been a more proper name for the race but RAC refused to allow that name to be used.

This was qouted from http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/main.htm
I know this doesn't make it true, but it's what instigated my question in the first place. However, if it was organised by another organisation then that may explain why they refused (if they were ever asked).
Old 3 Oct 2000, 13:36 (Ref:40795)   #7
angst
Veteran

Peter, forgive my ignorance but I don't follow your point. It IS the British Grand Prix, but it ISN'T the BRITISH Grand Prix?
Marshall, nice bit of background. Interlocking wheels in those Auto-Unions.....??!!! Jesus Christ on a bike!!! And Senna's performance that day was awesome....
Old 3 Oct 2000, 13:47 (Ref:40796)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
My point was that to be a country's Grand Prix there were certain rules. To my knowledge the "Grand Prix of Great Britain" and the "British Grand Prix" are two different titles. The former indicates a purely national race whilst the latter signifies an internationally recognised event.

I am working from memory here but that's what I recall reading somewhere. I don't think it was the RAC who dictated this though.

BTW. Its the same problem that organisers face when using the title Grand Prix now. I believe Bernie E has some connection with the rights.