Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:49 (Ref:401840)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the Konica race

well what did you think of it ???

it wasnt to bad with Youlden and Wakefield going at it , and Youlden coming up trumps in the end, also a good dice between Jones and Croswell until Dean went for the big move under brakes and took them both off.

impressive effort was Whyhoon to come in 4th place in the old clunker that he is driving probably his best drive to date in V8's.

some usual carnage down the back of the field but still a good learning experience for all the drivers still coming to grips with V8 supercars.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 08:29 (Ref:401863)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
great race between WW (the one who isn;t the Woolongong Wiz) and Luke Youlden. Good to see a Ford get up there.

Did you see the historic race with David "Hollywood" Patterson featuring! What a shame it was red flagged, would have been the most interesting race of the weekend.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 08:39 (Ref:401867)   #3
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great race to watch, some interesting incidents to say the least. Congrats to Luke Youlden deserving winner, hope he goes well tomorrow.

Huge dissapointment not to see the Historic Tourers get to race!! See John Mann get out and starting waving and mouthing off to that Torana that he hit! Then those 2 Mustangs crashing just further up the road. Shame a few spoilt it for the rest! Hope they get some regular tv time next year. I know Mark Oastler is a big fan and he is working at getting a tv deal for them(for the whole year), hope it comes off.

Last edited by CooperS79; 12 Oct 2002 at 08:44.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 10:57 (Ref:401924)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting to see advertising on GRP N cars...

But certainly Patto did well to get on TV, even got a mention from Greg Rust! Just a shame the car was parked on the side of the road at the time

The Wakefeild/Youlden race was interesting, I don't know if Youlden simply had a better car, or Wakefield shagged his tyres.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 11:05 (Ref:401934)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The battle between Wakefield & Youlden was brilliant but i was dissapointed the driving from some of the guys further back down the field, some need to use their heads a little more but overall a very entertaining race. I was annoyed they didn't let the Group N race restart as i was really looking forward to it.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 11:06 (Ref:401937)   #6
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
Crash, are you refering to the advertising on the front windscreens? The Historic Touring cars are now alowed to have a "Event Sponsor" on the cars at, i think its, 5 meetings per year. At the Grand Prix they had Shannons on their front windscreens. Helps them pay some of the bills and get to these big events.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 11:09 (Ref:401938)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely.... it's interesting that many in the Historic seem to, how should we say, cast Historic Touring Cars off into their greener pastures...
Old 12 Oct 2002, 12:45 (Ref:402007)   #8
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grrrr.... I hate it when the supports get shuffled off to Buffalo all for the almighty TV. 50 Odd group N cars, and First it goes from 7 laps to 4 and then to blot? What a joke. No wonder AVESCOn cant get decent supports.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 12:51 (Ref:402011)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was looking forward to that Group N race, a pretty good field was there as well. There is a race tomorrow morning isn't there?
Old 12 Oct 2002, 13:15 (Ref:402017)   #10
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
No race tomorrow, only support race is for Porsche Cup.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 11:32 (Ref:408451)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The windscreen advertising is for a new magazine of which Mark Oastler is the editor. It is a top mag, I've bought every edition, I suggest you do the same. The sponsorship from the mag, paid for our TV coverage. We had a race on Friday but it was not televised.

I was very disappointed that our race was not rescheduled, they had plenty of time after the V8 practice on Saturday afternoon or on Sunday morning. My folks stood on the packed spectator mound at Clatex Chase and the huge crowd were absolutely spitting chips when we got canned.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 11:53 (Ref:408458)   #12
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David, Welcome to the V8 support race club!
Eventually you get used to being treated like dirt!
I have had races canned at Eastern Creek
A 4 lap race shortened to 2 laps at Bathurst
And a race cancelled and later reinstated at Winton.
The show must go on!
Old 20 Oct 2002, 12:17 (Ref:408468)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I ran in a support event to the V8s at Eastern Creek last year and it was great, we had enormous amounts of time allotted to us for practice and qualifying, both races were of a good length and not to poorly timed and we did not have a minute or a lap cut from our program all weekend.

I wasn't too surprised when they cut our race at Bathurst, but I was disappointed when it wasn't rescheduled, so many people had spent so much time money and effort to be there and the crowd certainly wanted us, a lot more than the pathetic sideshows used to "fill" Sunday morning.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 01:30 (Ref:408964)   #14
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I am starting to get sick of the Motor Bike stunts and the roulets. Can all that stuff and put on what we pay to see.......racing. As a kid I used to go to lakeside and it was the best days racing you will ever see. Used to get gemini's, HQ's, formula fords, touring cars, historics and more. There was always a 10 minute break and the next category was on. Unfortunatly, money dictates how it all works these days and the corporate arena likes bike stunts rather than racing.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 01:49 (Ref:408970)   #15
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with you there TMS, that Donut King Stunt crew is a waste of time and money - that sort of garbage is what you'd expect from the Sydney Royal Easter Show - not a race meeting.

Was funny when we were at Oran Park last year when the V8s came out on to the grid while the air display was still on everyone stopped watching the Roulettes immediately. This year at Oran Park there was on 1 Roulette !

The support races at V8 meetings is really getting to be a problem now that PROCAR have gone it alone.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 06:51 (Ref:409034)   #16
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
This year at Oran Park there was on 1 Roulette !
Oh yeah but what a show it put on!
Old 21 Oct 2002, 08:34 (Ref:409057)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They definatly need more races on the program, one of the problems now that seems to affect whether a category runs or not is firstly the costs of competing on the V8 support bill have gone up, and also you are probably not going to get TV coverage, whereas a decade or so ago just about all supports would get one race shown at least.

I remember this year i went to the PowerTour at Oran Park and there was about 20 races or so, pretty much one after the other. Next meeting i went to was the Konica's at OP, and saw about 9 races, plus the Konica Cars mucking around coming in and out of the pits for about 20 minutes before each race prior to lining up on the dummy grid!