Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Jun 2024, 19:00 (Ref:4216797)   #1
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wanneroo gone from 2026

I see the boffins at Supercars have sucked in the W.A. Government too now. Wanneroo off the calendar in 2026 in favour of a Perth street race
Old 25 Jun 2024, 03:12 (Ref:4216828)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I see the boffins at Supercars have sucked in the W.A. Government too now. Wanneroo off the calendar in 2026 in favour of a Perth street race
Don't think it is locked and loaded yet is it? Will see what happens I guess.
Old 25 Jun 2024, 03:13 (Ref:4216829)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Sure is, did you miss the media releases from Supercars?

https://www.supercars.com/news/wa-go...race-supercars
Old 25 Jun 2024, 03:18 (Ref:4216830)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Sure is, did you miss the media releases from Supercars?

https://www.supercars.com/news/wa-go...race-supercars
Yep - I missed all that, thought it was a heap of "maybe" announcements. Oh well, good luck to them and hopefully Barbagallo (or whatever its called now) gets some financial assistance a la Mallala, then it might just be wins all round.
Old 25 Jun 2024, 04:48 (Ref:4216836)   #5
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Yep - I missed all that, thought it was a heap of "maybe" announcements. Oh well, good luck to them and hopefully Barbagallo (or whatever its called now) gets some financial assistance a la Mallala, then it might just be wins all round.
Won't happen, the tracks that have dropped off the Supecars calendar is 'recent' years:
  • Winton
  • Phillip Island
  • Calder
  • Queensland Raceway
  • Wanneroo
The top 4 have all had a disagreement with Supercars management over the years
Old 25 Jun 2024, 05:36 (Ref:4216841)   #6
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Won't happen, the tracks that have dropped off the Supecars calendar is 'recent' years:
  • Winton
  • Phillip Island
  • Calder
  • Queensland Raceway
  • Wanneroo
The top 4 have all had a disagreement with Supercars management over the years
Calder?

There are Supercar drivers who weren't born when Supercars last raced there.
Old 25 Jun 2024, 06:21 (Ref:4216845)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Calder?

There are Supercar drivers who weren't born when Supercars last raced there.
Yep - Calder was removed from the calendar in 2002 or thereabouts, when Bob refused to pay the sanction fee, went to court, lost & then turned over the company which had the agreement with supercars - plus Calder lost its CAMS track licence because Bob wouldn't do the work needed.

Phillip Island was meant to happen in 2021 but doesn't seem to feature in current discussions (at least publicly).

QR was a regular, with money from the state govt & then council, organised by supercars. John Tetley refused to have a CAMS track licence so supercars trucked in safety infrastructure from the goldie each year to run its race meeting and also the shannons nationals under a CAMS track licence & permits. Tony Quinn now owns QR and has said he doesn't want supercars there until he's got the track to where he wants it to be - so quite possible (likely?) that QR will be back on the supercars calendar soon.

Wanneroo looks like it has limited time left, although of course has only just had this year's event. It may well get dispensation as part of any street race deal.

Winton, Trev would know better than us (if he's still involved).
Old 28 Jun 2024, 06:22 (Ref:4217094)   #8
Mr X
Rookie

Mr X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wanneroo looks like it has limited time left, although of course has only just had this year's event. It may well get dispensation as part of any street race deal.
I not sure anyone will compensate the custodians of Wanneroo Raceway, Supercars are not known for being altruistic, and the state government of both types have refused to tip money due their lack of corporate structure.
Old 28 Jun 2024, 19:04 (Ref:4217160)   #9
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Winton, Trev would know better than us (if he's still involved).
Skaife (the power behind Supercars) has wanted Winton off the calendar for years. He never won a V8Supercars race there.

Winton has had lots and lots of internal political issues going since Mick Ronke died and his boys were forced to move on. There has been a real power struggle going on (see my post regarding a former BAC president). I think Supercars got sick of dealing with an ever changing management and lack of real direction
Old 3 Jul 2024, 05:25 (Ref:4217650)   #10
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
I not sure anyone will compensate the custodians of Wanneroo Raceway, Supercars are not known for being altruistic, and the state government of both types have refused to tip money due their lack of corporate structure.
Is it correct to suggest the WA State Government have not supported the WASCC/ Wanneroo circuit ?
Any current WASCC here ?

I've long wondered why WA Tourism doesnt push for a complementary AFL/Supercars package.
I understand the Monday ride day is reportedly well supported with some teams going over when Supercars left WA of its calendar.
Old Yesterday, 06:01 (Ref:4217720)   #11
Mr X
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Is it correct to suggest the WA State Government have not supported the WASCC/ Wanneroo circuit ?
Any current WASCC here ?
Last WA government financial contribution to Wanneroo Raceway was 13 years ago. This was to build the infield pits, control tower/media/club offices and upgrade medical facilities.
Old Yesterday, 07:11 (Ref:4217722)   #12
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
another permanent track thrown aside by Supercars.

IF the Governments collectively get ****ed off enough and tell Supercars no more street races, then the permanent tracks should tell them to bugger off too
Old Yesterday, 22:37 (Ref:4217816)   #13
Mr X
Rookie

Quote:
another permanent track thrown aside by Supercars.

IF the Governments collectively get ****ed off enough and tell Supercars no more street races, then the permanent tracks should tell them to bugger off too
I think Governments have told them to go forth and multiply but the WA Government is cashed up, and Supercars are doing their best to get some of it.

The time it takes to get any infrastructure built in Perth at the moment, especially roads, 18 months to have it ready is fanciful.
Old Today, 01:10 (Ref:4217827)   #14
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
I think Governments have told them to go forth and multiply but the WA Government is cashed up, and Supercars are doing their best to get some of it.

The time it takes to get any infrastructure built in Perth at the moment, especially roads, 18 months to have it ready is fanciful.
I thought exactly the same thing.
2026 seems a pipe dream, I would be guessing 2027 or 28 sounds more feasible at the moment. However stranger things have happened.