Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Jul 2024, 14:02 (Ref:4218062)   #1
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Best Sportscar Drives

This is a thread for (in the posters' opinions) the best drives in sportscar history, at least that they've seen or remember. The stand outs for me were Allan McNish at Petit Le Mans in 2008, Dindo Capello vs Romain Dumas at PLM and Laguna Seca '07, and the whole #2 Audi team at Le Mans in 2011. Honorable mention would be Pirro at Lime Rock in '08 when by the first pit stop he lapped up to about the top 5 overall and had about a half a lap lead over second place. And McNish lapping the field at Sonoma in 2000.

Anything anyone else would want to add, including older or more recent events, or in different classes?
Old 7 Jul 2024, 14:46 (Ref:4218069)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
JJ Lehto, Le Mans 1995. Specifically at Indianapolis in the dark and wet.
Old 7 Jul 2024, 16:26 (Ref:4218096)   #3
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Harper - British GT finale at Donington 2023. Awesome drive!
Old 7 Jul 2024, 17:05 (Ref:4218106)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
JJ Lehto, Le Mans 1995. Specifically at Indianapolis in the dark and wet.
This one for me, and Johnny Herbert's final stint in the 787B in 1991.
Old 7 Jul 2024, 17:33 (Ref:4218112)   #5
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Thanks chernaudi, very good idea, great thread. My first is for my old bloke Jean-Claude Andruet at Le Mans in '79 he went back from ashes to the second place on very wet track making his BB512 literally dancing in the rain. Sorry, Le Mans again and another French, Henri Pescarolo in '68 driving his Matra in the dark and no wiper. Those two have in common that the co-drivers were not really brave (Dini/ Servoz-Gavin). The first I was at LM, the second I was not old enough!
Old 7 Jul 2024, 18:38 (Ref:4218154)   #6
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Tandy’s night stint Le Mans 2015.
Old 7 Jul 2024, 20:27 (Ref:4218201)   #7
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
May I present a couple of second places - the best drives aren't always from the winners:

- Ukyo Katayama, Le Mans 1999
- Kevin Estre, Nurburgring 2019
Old 7 Jul 2024, 22:39 (Ref:4218225)   #8
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I have to be honest on my end, as I'm sort of "stuck" back in 2000-2008 as far as the Audi Sport involvement in the ALMS and from then on out I progressively started to become more casual in my following of the sport, especially after 2016.

Also until we got satellite TV where I lived and my first own computer that I started to be able to really follow the sport, which we didn't get satellite TV until the late 1990s and my own computer until 2005. Which means that the R10 was the first LMP car whose development I was able to follow.

Granted, I've also been able to check out a lot of history since that time, too. But thus, I'm a bit biased, though admittedly, I didn't even think at the time that what McNish and Champion did at PLM '08 was even really possible given the odds with the other Audi and the Peugeot being there.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 09:54 (Ref:4218257)   #9
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got to be 1954 Sebring when Moss in an OSCA won, and how can anyone omit his Mille Miglia win in the no 722 Mercedes.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 19:39 (Ref:4218318)   #10
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That GT Porsche that won Petit Le Mans overall a decade ago.
Andre Lotterer driving most of Le Mans (2008?) in the Kolles R10
2011 Le Mans winners
Old 8 Jul 2024, 20:36 (Ref:4218323)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In fairness to everyone at Petit that year the ONLY tires that worked were the Michelin rains. It was SLOP out there and the Pirellis were garbage. All the GT guys would immediately swamp the DPs at each restart and only reason it wasn't all ALMS GTs at the front was the reset the field each caution.

Was a MISERABLE race and my toes still get cold thinking about that week, lost lots of kit that weekend
Old 8 Jul 2024, 21:14 (Ref:4218326)   #12
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
It was actually Continental/Hoosier tires on the DPs and everything other than the GTLM cars (all Michelin aside from the Falken Porsche). Though if it was Pirellis I don't know if it would've made much difference to the outcome.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 11:49 (Ref:4218378)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's the ones, they were absolutely a joke, could hear them completely off the throttle coming past us cause no grip at all on them, GTLM mostly driving like it was a regular day and passing every time they got even close
Old 9 Jul 2024, 12:28 (Ref:4218384)   #14
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Fun fact - that Petit was a factor in some Daytona red flags the following year.

Estre has really come on my radar over the last few years. Some of his stints in 24 hour races are awesome.

Antonelli in the final Le mans stint this year was pretty good.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 22:28 (Ref:4218441)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
This one for me, and Johnny Herbert's final stint in the 787B in 1991.
Double yes!!

Also didn't JJ lap Spa several seconds quicker than the rest of the GT1 field in wet qualy in 1997