Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2024, 18:02 (Ref:4218725)   #26
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
P for Poseur would be fair.
Old 13 Jul 2024, 15:44 (Ref:4218819)   #27
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Sounds good! Question is... what letter to use. C for Celebrity, B for Broadcast or some other more derogatory label.

Richard
'C' would do the trick. What you think it stands for is up to you.
Old 13 Jul 2024, 15:47 (Ref:4218820)   #28
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Not a dig on Brundle as I do like him in the booth a lot but imo the grid walk is not his best hat.
I really liked his grid walks and interviews when he started doing them for the BBC. He spoke t drivers and other significant people and got interesting replies. Then gradually he started picking the celebs instead and my interest waned. Now Iwatch the GP on C4 so I don't see him anyway.
Old 14 Jul 2024, 08:35 (Ref:4218952)   #29
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This is probably for two reasons.

This is a television show, the director is a tv guy, drivers will tell you nothing, give you nothing and speak PR nonsense.

Celebs will either give MB the shove (clickbait potential) or say something boring, or maybe interesting, either way they are more interesting to listen to than drivers or team personnel FROM A TV STANDPOINT, not for fans

This week all you have had is a Queen guitarist cold shoulder and MB apologizing, the rest of it is forgotten, that is media, clickable and clippable.

That is all the gridwalk is about now
Old 14 Jul 2024, 15:15 (Ref:4219021)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
But... If you're a famous person who is only there because you're famous and it's about profile, then being available for an interview should be part of the requirements for being there.

Not that I care, I've never heard of most of them, couldn't care less that they're there and wonder why people who can easily afford to pay get preference over the fans that are shelling a load out.
Agreed.

Given Brian May is a full-on Eco-is-everything promoter I'm surprised he was there in the first place. But maybe there was some hidden reason for his presence and he did not want too much of a promotion effort with that connection lest it diluted his brand image?

Unusual for him, he seems be somewhat addicted to screen time and media attention usually.
Old 14 Jul 2024, 15:24 (Ref:4219027)   #31
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
But maybe there was some hidden reason for his presence and he did not want too much of a promotion effort with that connection lest it diluted his brand image?
He played a concert at last years US GP at Austin. He has a video of him doing sound checks as the cars are going by. Maybe he just found F1 interesting like the rest of us? Why not partake in interesting activities like a grid walk or waving the checkered flag if given the opportunity? (Not that I agree with them offering up the ability to wave the checked flag at races)

Richard
Old 14 Jul 2024, 15:49 (Ref:4219050)   #32
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
I would suggest that the vast majority of these people are either paid or invited to be there for some reason, usually business, he is perhaps speaking or repping a sponsor, my CeO was there as oddly enough the grass is looked after on the track and golf course by his company,
Old 14 Jul 2024, 17:01 (Ref:4219136)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
His/Queen’s We Will Rock You riff features prominently in the F1 movie trailer and it looked like other filming was going on for the movie.May could have been there for that?

Would that require him to talk to Brundle? How about talking to the other English and non English broadcast teams out there? Or should any such requirement to talk just be limited to a specific broadcaster? The whole thing is rather silly and having to add rules to it really underlines how silly it is imo.
Old 14 Jul 2024, 17:32 (Ref:4219182)   #34
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I don't tend to watch the grid walk or pre-race "festivities" such as national anthem etc, so I haven't seen the attempted chat(s) with Sir Brian May but to me it's quite possible that he didn't want to be interviewed as he didn't consider himself to be a key part of the event storyline - he may well have been a little embarrassed to be asked for a chat when the real story is the teams and drivers.
Old 14 Jul 2024, 18:01 (Ref:4219210)   #35
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two comments about this discussion.

Firstly, the drivers and most of the team members would probably not want to be interviewed on the grid; I would imagine that would be the last thing that they wanted whilst they concentrate on preparing for the upcoming race, and why, in the past, I've seen drivers "hiding" at the side of the track with a towel over their head.

Secondly, if this whole business upsets some of you so much, why don't you just pop in to the kitchen and make yourselves a cup of tea/coffee or get a drink of your choice. Nobody has a gun at your head making you suffer by watching something that possibly others enjoy.

I cannot believe that this is so important that it warrants a thread of it's own especially whilst there is so much crap going on in the world!
Old 14 Jul 2024, 18:16 (Ref:4219233)   #36
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
Simply put it is a topic for discussion, in the same way you feel exasperated at it, why dont you do what you suggest instead of reading this thread, it works both ways does it not
Old 14 Jul 2024, 21:18 (Ref:4219415)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooh, I see pots and I see kettles.......
Old 14 Jul 2024, 21:38 (Ref:4219420)   #38
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Ooh, I see pots and I see kettles.......
Yeah, sadly that's the path many of the posts have been taken by a few lately, but it appears we're required to read every thread. Oh wait, we can just not read threads that are pointless, well damn
Old 15 Jul 2024, 08:15 (Ref:4219452)   #39
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
It would be interesting to hear from a team or sponsor as to why they have "celebs" there.
We also have to remember that while all team members and drivers speak English and their own language, that does limit the number of people a French or Spanish commentator can ask questions to for their own pit walk feed.
Old 15 Jul 2024, 12:41 (Ref:4219472)   #40
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
I would think it is simply down to profile, as many of them will be asked who they are supporting or perhaps wearing team gear etc, they will also probably be accompanied by a team PR person who will usher them to the right places, people, it is all about exposure for the teams, sponsors etc. I see it is a necessary evil.

Agreed, you can not read threads that are pointless, I tend to do with posts, as I am sure other do!
Old 15 Jul 2024, 13:58 (Ref:4219476)   #41
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Long time f1 fan here.
I enjoy the grid walks. Its a bit of fluff and fun - prematch light entertainment. Not every word every minute of the broadcast has to be in depth hard hitting.

Without the celebs and grid walk the 15 mins before start would be anothert tedious round of the same faces, the drivers, toto, zac, james etc and the commentators repeating the same safe boring scripted things they say all weekend. Teams and drivers arent going to reveal secrets or strategy beforehand and cant know what other teams or weather will do. And the mechanics wouldnt add much, they would be told what they can say, or
"I dunno mate i just change front right tyre, and help with suspension engineering thru the week"

So it would be yet more talk about tyres and weather, and what happened friday and saturday, just to fill the dead time while the track and cars are prepped.

Plus it does draw in the casually interested viewer. Mrs doesnt give a toss, but sees a celeb she likes on the grid so looks up, then watches the start or admires that fit looking young driver.

The celebs get this access that mere mortals are denied as a PR stunt reinforcing F1 is the ultimate. Pinnacle of glamour life. make it aspirational not just grubby blokes in oil stained overalls and weird petrol heads. However they should earn their keep by taking interviews, promoting f1, their team, their new movie/release, their PR deal sponsor, or their own public image. I suspect many realise that if they do "act up" they will make international headlines.

No publicity is.....

Last edited by bathurst77; 15 Jul 2024 at 14:22.
Old 15 Jul 2024, 19:43 (Ref:4219510)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
at this point its basically become a meme/Brundle bingo card category of which celeb will tell him to get lost so i guess thats a bit of fun!

i didnt pick up on this during the Rowan Atkinson interview myself, but Mr. Bean was apparently doing a MB impersonation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_IViOV4zg
Old 18 Jul 2024, 04:24 (Ref:4219756)   #43
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I think in the last 30 mins before green, the drivers crew and team leaders etc, would be very busy and wound etc. Right then as the cars are on the grids and all the last minute stuff, they wouldnt want TV people from dozens of international networks asking them the same questions. Not now

So without the grid walk. It might make for stultifying TV.

Theres the cars on the grid, max has put his helmet on, its a red one this race. how do you fele about them changing helemts martin
We have 15 minutes to go ... I see Lando is on mediums and max on soft.. Why do you think they did that Naomi?
The crew are giving the red bull a polish.... checo must be disappointed in his qualifying yesterday, wouldnt you say Jenson?
We have 13 minutes til start."
Old 22 Jul 2024, 09:31 (Ref:4220227)   #44
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
I think in the last 30 mins before green, the drivers crew and team leaders etc, would be very busy and wound etc. Right then as the cars are on the grids and all the last minute stuff, they wouldnt want TV people from dozens of international networks asking them the same questions. Not now

Theres the cars on the grid, max has put his helmet on, its a red one this race. how do you fele about them changing helemts martin
We have 15 minutes to go ... I see Lando is on mediums and max on soft.. Why do you think they did that Naomi?
The crew are giving the red bull a polish.... checo must be disappointed in his qualifying yesterday, wouldnt you say Jenson?
We have 13 minutes til start."
There's a simple solution to that problem: stop all the hanging around on the grid. Five minute maximum, and then go.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 10:34 (Ref:4220234)   #45
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Perhaps the FIA could give drivers extra points for running over celebs, 1 point for an a list and .1 for the numerous z list ones.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 15:52 (Ref:4220274)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
other sports just fill those minutes up with talking heads being talking heads or these days pushing the sports betting narrative....so i suppose its good that F1 hasent gone in this direction.

although, encouraging more gambling could do wonders for getting rid of team orders...but thats a topic for a different thread!

fyi, i detest sports gambling as part of sports broadcasts.
Old 27 Jul 2024, 08:48 (Ref:4220714)   #47
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Sounds good! Question is... what letter to use. C for Celebrity, B for Broadcast or some other more derogatory label.

Richard
I would put a traffic cone on their heads. It is easily seen and describe well the nature of the subject.
Old 27 Jul 2024, 13:48 (Ref:4220735)   #48
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
I would put a traffic cone on their heads. It is easily seen and describe well the nature of the subject.
I like it!

Richard