Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old Today, 11:48 (Ref:4230101)   #276
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Great news! So we have a year to figure out a manufacturer that offers a FWD saloon and some from of RWD car for GT3. Sounds like there would be considerable manufacturer backing. Well connected to the UK I would suppose if they’re asking Alliance about GT3 development.

With the influx of Chinese manufacturers, I wonder if any of them would consider something like the BTCC to boost their image, although I suppose they’re all electric.
Certainly intriguing, a lot of 'Hopefully' in Osbourne's comments so... 'hopefully' this comes together because it sounds massive for the championship.
Old Today, 12:00 (Ref:4230104)   #277
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
More of a story for 2026 this one. Alliance plans to replace Fords for 2026. A new manufacturer with a FWD saloon car, work underway already led by Antonio Carrozza. Had hoped for new car in 2025 but still a work in progress. Also talk of Alliance being involved in a GT3 building project with the same manufacturer. Fords to be updated for 2025.

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...2026/10661596/
That's interestjng, the only FWD saloons at the Moment would be the Merc A Class or the Audi A3... Unless I've missed something...
Old Today, 12:06 (Ref:4230106)   #278
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Great news! So we have a year to figure out a manufacturer that offers a FWD saloon and some from of RWD car for GT3. Sounds like there would be considerable manufacturer backing. Well connected to the UK I would suppose if they’re asking Alliance about GT3 development.
The first that comes to mind is Mercedes.
Possibly Audi.

At a stretch, it might be possible to get a Nissan Qashqai to work?
Old Today, 12:09 (Ref:4230107)   #279
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn't be Audi or Mercedes because they'd develop their own GT3. The Qashqai's not a saloon either.

I think it'll be an Asian make but I'll have to do a bit of looking to see who fits!
Old Today, 12:10 (Ref:4230109)   #280
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
That's interestjng, the only FWD saloons at the Moment would be the Merc A Class or the Audi A3... Unless I've missed something...
Mazda 3.
Old Today, 12:17 (Ref:4230110)   #281
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The first that comes to mind is Mercedes.
Possibly Audi.
They don't need Alliance to go to Le Mans. There are a lot of teams with links to these manufacturers who have already proven themself in endurance racing.
Old Today, 12:36 (Ref:4230111)   #282
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
because they'd develop their own GT3.
Quote:
Osborne’s public aim of eventually expanding into GT3 competition with a target of competing in the Le Mans 24 Hours could be a knock-on from the new programme.

“The manufacturer that we’re talking to would like us to do a GT3 car and take it to Le Mans,” he said.

“If we can prove to them that we can do it with a touring car, then the door could be open to that project as well.”
I am not sure he means developing their own GT.

Nissan makes sense. They have already a GT3 car but not yet at Le Mans.
Manufacturers with a car suitable for GT3 are limited.
Old Today, 12:37 (Ref:4230112)   #283
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
They don't need Alliance to go to Le Mans. There are a lot of teams with links to these manufacturers who have already proven themself in endurance racing.
The article doesn't state that the manufacturer isn't already involved with Le Mans - just that “The manufacturer that we’re talking to would like us to do a GT3 car and take it to Le Mans,”. That could be alongside existing GT3 cars from the manufacturer with other teams.

Although - another that comes to mind is Dacia/Renault. The Logan would fit the bill of a FWD Saloon?
Old Today, 13:18 (Ref:4230118)   #284
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I am not sure he means developing their own GT.
I interpret it to mean that they would. And they're talking years in the future here. Who knows which manufacturers will be in GT3 then?

Quote:
“The manufacturer that we’re talking to would like us to do a GT3 car and take it to Le Mans,” he said.

“If we can prove to them that we can do it with a touring car, then the door could be open to that project as well.”
Surely he's saying, "If we can build and develop a touring car and be successful with it, then the manufacturer will let us do the same thing with a GT car".

"Do a GT3 car" means build one to me. That's how I see it, anyway.

And it's possible that the manufacturer they're courting doesn't have a GT type car in production yet.

Last edited by pimmy; Today at 13:26.
Old Today, 13:44 (Ref:4230122)   #285
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
The article doesn't state that the manufacturer isn't already involved with Le Mans - just that “The manufacturer that we’re talking to would like us to do a GT3 car and take it to Le Mans,”. That could be alongside existing GT3 cars from the manufacturer with other teams.
True but it sounds they currently are not racing at Le Mans.
Old Today, 13:48 (Ref:4230124)   #286
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Always worth remembering that they have previously confirmed talks with Mercedes, Audi and Alfa Romeo.
Old Today, 13:55 (Ref:4230125)   #287
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do the rules state the exact model must be sold in the UK? For example, MG sell the 6 in China which seems viable (and races in TCR) but not in the UK, but may still act as promotion for the wider MG range if it’s a manufacturer effort. Not that MG or SAIC have anything GT3-ready. It’s tricky when most things are electric now.

Also, assuming NAPA title sponsorship is retained, I guess that would clash with any manufacturer involvement that asks for factory colours?
Old Today, 14:30 (Ref:4230131)   #288
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mazda 3.
So I did miss something, I didn't know there was a saloon version, but I saw the 5 door hatch the other day and thought it would make a good looking touring car.
Old Today, 14:36 (Ref:4230132)   #289
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
So I did miss something, I didn't know there was a saloon version, but I saw the 5 door hatch the other day and thought it would make a good looking touring car.
https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/mazda3-saloon/

'The classic and sophisticated 2025 Mazda3 Saloon stands out from the crowd, with unique curves that reflect light across the car's surface, creating complex and intriguing shapes. Superb Japanese craftsmanship ensures you feel at ease inside a cabin that offers everything you need for an exceptional driving experience.'

Went on sale 1st Aug 24.

Old Today, 15:27 (Ref:4230136)   #290
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
That's a very mild facelift to a car which has been in production since 2019. I'd have thought Alliance would want a newer car than that!
Old Today, 15:47 (Ref:4230137)   #291
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That's a very mild facelift to a car which has been in production since 2019. I'd have thought Alliance would want a newer car than that!
Guess they don’t have much to choose from anymore. Can’t be many relatively-compact, non-electric saloons left.
Old Today, 16:10 (Ref:4230138)   #292
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
With Tony Carrozza, a blank template and a new homologation, for all intents and purposes it is a brand new car.

And if Mazda are wanting to back the entry, why would Alliance be worried about the age of the model? It is newer than their current car, and isn't being discontinued next year.
Old Today, 16:27 (Ref:4230139)   #293
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Do the rules state the exact model must be sold in the UK? For example, MG sell the 6 in China which seems viable (and races in TCR) but not in the UK, but may still act as promotion for the wider MG range if it’s a manufacturer effort.
https://btcc.net/about/technical-overview/
"Base vehicle must be freely on sale in the UK through the manufacturer’s normal dealer network at time of homologation"
Old Today, 16:38 (Ref:4230142)   #294
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Would be a nice looking touring car.

MX5 GT3
Old Today, 16:52 (Ref:4230146)   #295
mick bennett
Rookie

England
mick bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...2026/10661596/

VW Golf ?
Old Today, 17:01 (Ref:4230147)   #296
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
https://btcc.net/about/technical-overview/
"Base vehicle must be freely on sale in the UK through the manufacturer’s normal dealer network at time of homologation"
Thanks, thought as much.