Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Oct 2024, 11:33 (Ref:4231980)   #3451
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Sadly the C4 programmes were a times when I was asleep or getting ready to go out.
Do they have to be some long after the event?
Time difference is the main reason for delayed coverage. You can still watch it on 4play, they keep it for about a week. This problem occurs with all the ''fly-away'' races.
Old 23 Oct 2024, 15:32 (Ref:4232082)   #3452
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Sadly the C4 programmes were a times when I was asleep or getting ready to go out.
Do they have to be some long after the event?
You missed a huge number of ad breaks....... More than I can ever remember before in a highlights show.
Old 23 Oct 2024, 17:54 (Ref:4232086)   #3453
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I tried the catch up on the E4 player or whatever it is called when they first signed the deal to put it there. I think after 20 minutes I had put up with about 4 ad breaks all about 2 mins each, so I gave up and have never been back. Not that I am remotely missing anything obviously.
Old 24 Oct 2024, 00:08 (Ref:4232110)   #3454
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I tried the catch up on the E4 player or whatever it is called when they first signed the deal to put it there. I think after 20 minutes I had put up with about 4 ad breaks all about 2 mins each, so I gave up and have never been back. Not that I am remotely missing anything obviously.
No one here has any idea why you continue to post on the F1 threads at all let alone so frequently.
We pretty much all disagree with your basic premises about F1 and your MAGA like devotion to your own point of view.
To summarise
-F1 is the best racing series in the world with the best drivers,teams and most spectacular cars.It is not run on the basis of constant BoP fiddling so that everyone can be a winner and does not have a large part of the field filled up by amateur or pay drivers.
-It’s popularity is at an all time high and while DTS may have kick started this it is not sustaining it.
We know you deny all of this so why waste your time telling us that for the 10,000th time?
Old 24 Oct 2024, 06:37 (Ref:4232121)   #3455
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You missed a huge number of ad breaks....... More than I can ever remember before in a highlights show.
Yet another benefit of recording the programme and watching it later. For this Grand Prix I just got up for work about an hour earlier on Monday morning & watched the coverage over breakfast (so before I'd learned the result), fast-forwarding over the preamble to the race start, and doing the same through the (many - as you say) advert breaks.
Looking at the TV timings for this weekend I expect I will be doing the same thing again.
Old 24 Oct 2024, 08:17 (Ref:4232127)   #3456
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's a bold claim to say that you are not missing something from 9 seasons of F1!!!!

You must have missed seeing Rosberg's WDC, Hamilton reaching 7xWDC and Verstappen's rise?
Old 24 Oct 2024, 10:17 (Ref:4232134)   #3457
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
Sorry yes pretty much missed most of that, I do watch periodically, and I take a passing interest hence I post here occasionally much to the derision of the fanboys who hate anyone not obsessed with F1 posting here and pointing that out lol!

I stopped watching religiously at the start of hybrid, but used to be a lover of F1 before then, as I say I keep up with the news etc. But people like Croft keep me away, hence posting here, as this is a thread about tv coverage.

The trend of shouting about everything, pointless stats etc, some of the coverage is very good, I do not understand the hatred of Kravitz, he can be annoying yes but he doesn't hso0ut, injects bits of humour and has that sport/business balance that you I think need in reporting F1, it is supposed to be a sport after all.

( sorry Alan am not going to respond to the bait, it's too easy, but suggesting F1 is the best racing in the world is staggeringly out of touch, let's leave it at that)
Old 24 Oct 2024, 12:09 (Ref:4232141)   #3458
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
( sorry Alan am not going to respond to the bait, it's too easy, but here I am responding to the bait)
Fixed that for you.
Old 25 Oct 2024, 08:28 (Ref:4232250)   #3459
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
You do understand what brackets mean I suppose? Oh and maybe the word irony?
Old 25 Oct 2024, 20:58 (Ref:4232335)   #3460
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yet another benefit of recording the programme and watching it later. For this Grand Prix I just got up for work about an hour earlier on Monday morning & watched the coverage over breakfast (so before I'd learned the result), fast-forwarding over the preamble to the race start, and doing the same through the (many - as you say) advert breaks.
Looking at the TV timings for this weekend I expect I will be doing the same thing again.

Indeed so, I did just this. I was just surprised at how many times I had to reach for the remote in one relatively short highlights programme.
Old 25 Oct 2024, 21:00 (Ref:4232336)   #3461
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
You do understand what brackets mean I suppose? Oh and maybe the word irony?
I'm pretty sure Greem does..... x2.
Old Yesterday, 22:00 (Ref:4232457)   #3462
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Croft. STOP SHOUTING!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 22:04 (Ref:4232460)   #3463
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
David Croft. STOP SHOUTING!!!!!

He's shouting so much he can't hear you.
Old Today, 04:35 (Ref:4232530)   #3464
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problems with the comentary style of David Croft, and really enjoying the coverage this weekend without Kravitz, who adds nothing of value to the programme.
Old Today, 08:42 (Ref:4232543)   #3465
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Conversely, I like both Croft and Ted. Only person I'd drop from the coverage is Danica. Everyone else is doing great.
Old Today, 09:26 (Ref:4232545)   #3466
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
I do find it incredulous that people actually DO like Croft. Or is it that you can just drown him out and put up with him!

Can you explain what it is about him you do like? Does shouting add something for you that other commentators do not ( I have noticed Nicholls is possibly even worse sadly in the odd clip I have seen), does voicing endless, pointless "my voice is the most important here so I must use it constantly" stats add something? Do you like people with a really annoying sense of humour?

I get it, we are all different. I do not understand the hatred for Kravitz, I do not find him annoying at all, indeed often the only aspect of any weekend I will watch these days is the notebook stuff they upload on YT, mainly because he offers a sort of odd balance of humour, and a reality check. This is a game everyone, it's not real life. Maybe that annoys people who live for F1 perhaps?
Old Today, 09:30 (Ref:4232547)   #3467
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As sky sell their coverage to networks in both the USA & Canada, Danica is included as a "local voice". The last couple of races she seems to have a quieter, more subdued presence which is ok. she isn't the worse person they have had on the presentation team over the years.
Old Today, 09:37 (Ref:4232549)   #3468
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can only speak from the perspective of a Brit, but ever since F1 shifted to ITV in 1997 there's been a really polarised view by some individuals of some of whichever team has been in place.

Those of us with long memories (yeah ok, those of us who are old!) will no doubt recall the debates and subsequent escalating abuse as the Internet gained traction around:

Jonathan Legard.
James Allen.
Simon Taylor (criticised for being "too posh" in some areas).
Jake Humphrey ("but he's a kid's TV presenter!").
Having female lead presenters (Sue Barker, Suzi Perry, Lee McKenzie).
Brundle's grid walk (demeaning, pointless, flim flam).
ADVERTS. Oh, adverts.
Sky's paywall.
Simon Lazenby (for being too chummy with everyone, and not knowing enough about F1 at the beginning)

That's not an exhaustive list but it goes to show that TV coverage of F1 definitely falls into the "you can't please all the people all of the time, and you can't please some of the people any of the time".

Notably everyone looks back at the Murray Walker days through tinted lenses - he got stuff wrong *all the time* and that's seen as endearing and funny now.
Modern day TV commentators, presenters or pundits say one thing wrong, out of place, wear the wrong shirt, dare to appeal to a specific band of viewers/listeners for a bit and you'd think World War 3 had started (or they'd insulted your mum).

F1 coverage these days is so detailed, so accurate, almost visually perfect and practically wall to wall. We might as well enjoy it than keep whinging because there's something or someone we don't like.

Plus, there's an off button.
Old Today, 10:01 (Ref:4232553)   #3469
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I do find it incredulous that people actually DO like Croft. Or is it that you can just drown him out and put up with him!

Can you explain what it is about him you do like? Does shouting add something for you that other commentators do not ( I have noticed Nicholls is possibly even worse sadly in the odd clip I have seen), does voicing endless, pointless "my voice is the most important here so I must use it constantly" stats add something? Do you like people with a really annoying sense of humour?

I get it, we are all different. I do not understand the hatred for Kravitz, I do not find him annoying at all, indeed often the only aspect of any weekend I will watch these days is the notebook stuff they upload on YT, mainly because he offers a sort of odd balance of humour, and a reality check. This is a game everyone, it's not real life. Maybe that annoys people who live for F1 perhaps?

Quote:
But, you do have several choices, you might not like them, but you do.
Old Today, 10:25 (Ref:4232555)   #3470
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Why do I have to "like" him? Why can't I just find him unoffensive and fine?

Do you know what I like about Croft? He's not the show. You may think he's trying to steal the show, but if you think that then have a listen to other series where they spend 5 hours of an 8 hour race reading Twitter shoutouts. Or how commentators make personal attacks against each other. Or how some commentators make constant inside jokes that nobody except their twitter followers understand.

Croft is passionate, but also simple and accessible. It's exactly what a commentator for the most popular motorsport series in the world should be. You can switch it on and immediately understand what's going on. You cannot always do this with other series at the moment.

Additionally, In the UK we've put up with Legard and James Allen. Both of which were completely unsuited to the role. Allen especially was insufferable and spent much more time shouting and making the role about himself. If shouting and self-centered attitude are someones problem with Croft, then it has to be acknowledged that he is not the worst commentator for this in F1 (or the worst currently active commentator).

Croft will not be listed in the all-time great sports commentators in the same way Murray Walker (and maybe even Martin Brundle) will be. But not everyone can be.
Old Today, 12:20 (Ref:4232564)   #3471
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
Again an interesting view, I do feel I have to like a commentator to put up with them, I never really "liked" john Motson but I could put up with him, but I "liked" Barry Davies or Brian Moore, is that weird? Maybe.

The worst commentator I have ever heard is Carlton Kirby, even Croft is no match, so much so I could not listen to him during stints at Le Mans, the race is not enough for me to put up with someone so poor. So to some it does matter.

I would happily put up with the more considered/experienced in all sports delivery of Legard (who I actually did not mind but who was pilloried everywhere) or James Allen, the only thing about him that annoyed me was the Brit polarisation, but that was probably from directors and producers.

But their voice, the thing that matters was OK. And Allen was a seasoned F1 journo so knew a fair bit, Croft is and was not, he was always just a voice for radio or tv. I feel that matters in that job

Again a personal choice but I find Crofts voice just hits a pitch that makes me wince! Does this matter, well yes! Can you remember Moira Stewart who read the news, she had such a weird delivery she was known as morbid Moira, it does matter.

The theme running through this is Brundle, his position is nothing like it was with any of his previous partners, I get the sense he puts up with Croft rather than enjoys working with him, he is a professional so manages it well. But I get the sense he would prefer someone else, there is not a frost as there is between Croft and Kravtiz, but I do feel a different dynamic is there.

The other thing we dont know is producing/directing, all commentators deal with it, but I feel whereas the Beeb would tell Murray to "calm down" or chill, out, the SKY lot let Croft off a leash.

Tags
pinks