Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Dec 2000, 20:46 (Ref:50972)   #1
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was recently announced that the Formula Ford and Ford Fiesta Championships are to join the Powertour series, leaving the TOCA tour with just 3 permanent support races. The Clios, Formula Renault, and the Lotus Elise series. The rest of each raceday programme will be made up with guest races, which are yet to be announced.

Will you miss the Fords? What guest races would you like to see?

Old 3 Dec 2000, 23:55 (Ref:51002)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one will really miss the Fiestas, which have been so entertaining over the years. No offence to the FFord people on this forum, but spindly things ain't my cup of tea.

I'd love to see guest races of MINIS, Classic Saloons, MGOC 2CVs, trucks etc, etc. The only problem of having any of these as a support race would be that the quality of racing would probably completely overshadow the headline act!
Old 4 Dec 2000, 22:48 (Ref:51130)   #3
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trucks would be great!

FPA /might/ be OK on certain tracks - NOT Silverstone... dire there...! erm, Superbikes ? ALMS ? Am I dreaming now ?! How about inviting the European Clio boys over ? erm... Minis ? DTM ? (yeah, right!) TGP ?

Not sure that i'll miss FFords (though i'd rather have lost the Elise's...) which are generally average to watch trackside - huge fun on TV though...! Then again, i'll likely see them at Powertour, so it doesn't really matter I guess...!
Old 5 Dec 2000, 12:23 (Ref:51199)   #4
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've thought the crowds at BTCC meetings have been down this year anyway, without losing two of it's most popular supports. Look at the number of people who turn out for the Formula Ford festival each year - they, along with me, will probably be lost to PowerTour next year.
Old 5 Dec 2000, 18:20 (Ref:51234)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
According to last week's Autosport BMP want to appeal to people other than dedicated motorsport fans with less racing and more demonstrations and off-track entertainment. They claim it's an approach that has never been tried before.

Sounds to me to be not that different from what PowerTour were trying to do at the start of the year and that was criticised for having too few races and being too expensive.

Based on what's been announced so far PowerTour has definetely got a better package.
Old 5 Dec 2000, 20:03 (Ref:51244)   #6
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I adore the Fiestas it looks as if I will have to save my pennies and visit a couple of Powertour meetings.
As for guest races the old F1 were interesting (though they buggered off too early for me to see them properly).
Old 9 Dec 2000, 17:27 (Ref:51745)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have to agree with Mr Shoes, in that the new-look PowerTour certainly looks the goods - in calendar form, at least. Maybe it now overshadows the BTCC, in terms of supports. Is this what BMP wanted?
Old 9 Dec 2000, 17:41 (Ref:51754)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Maisie

I'd love to see guest races of MINIS, Classic Saloons, MGOC 2CVs, trucks etc, etc. The only problem of having any of these as a support race would be that the quality of racing would probably completely overshadow the headline act!
We (the CSCC) used to run on the TOCA package occaisionaly but Glen Maskell and Pete Hall decided we were too tame and came up with their Appendix J Historics.

It was also a bit difficult for true amateurs like us to take a three day weekend just for one practice and one race. Still, it would be fun to go out to play on that bill again.
Old 10 Dec 2000, 03:30 (Ref:51819)   #9
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything as long as its loud, fast & gives good close racing. If they give you that, who cares what "off track" entertainment gimmicks they come up with.

Remember this is meant to be about motor racing not clowns !

Gurryp
Old 10 Dec 2000, 03:44 (Ref:51822)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hate going to big race meetings where the promoters think they can justify long delays between races by dishing up some ****-weak off-track entertainment. If I go to a RACE meeting, I want to see bloody RACING! That's why i like club/state race meetings so much, as the competitors from event 21 enter the pit lane, the competitors for event 22 are already on the warm up lap. BRILLIANT!!!
Old 10 Dec 2000, 04:22 (Ref:51828)   #11
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Exactly, whats the point in having a stunt driver hurtling up & down the pit straight, when your camped out at the other side of the circuit.
I pay my money to see on-track action. For years I watched rallycross, with 30+ heats & finals in a day. At Croft they had a starting grid parallel to the start/finish line so as 1 race ended & cleared the cicuit, the next race was ready & waiting to go, excellent !!

Gurryp

Old 10 Dec 2000, 04:40 (Ref:51830)   #12
PBrock
Rookie

PBrock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats something australian race orgainisers should be looking at. The grid idea that is. People pay good money to see a days worth of racing not just the V8 supercars. Lately we have been seeing half a days racing if that. Winton is an excellent example. Adelaide was good to be honest.
Old 10 Dec 2000, 11:46 (Ref:51842)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
whats the point in having a stunt driver hurtling up & down the pit straight, when your camped out at the other side of the circuit.
I've been saying the same all year. Free-fall parachute and air displays are a bit old hat now but at least everyone has got a fair chance of seeing something. Do even get me started on marching bands Don't get me wrong, Terry Grant's Legend display was very impressive the first time I saw it, but after 18 months of seeing it at every meeting the effect starts to wear off.

Old 10 Dec 2000, 13:21 (Ref:51846)   #14
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got to agree with Redshoes here. And as for the Marching Bands, there should be a clause stopping me from getting started on that topic I think each and every one of them should have a Tuba rammed onto their head!!!!
Old 10 Dec 2000, 13:32 (Ref:51848)   #15
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now you've got to admit, that would be entertaining.
Old 10 Dec 2000, 13:35 (Ref:51849)   #16
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Now you've got to admit, that would be entertaining.
He He