Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Apr 2003, 22:13 (Ref:585679)   #26
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That exactly my point JohnSSC. We can talk about rules and how a united series would look until the cows come home but the wigs of IRL and CART need to agree to talk first. And as fans that is what we could if we wanted to, aim to do to get them to the table.

Everyone is pating Mario on the back for a job well done on RA, and rightly so, however if the fans hadn't been as vocally outspoken as we have been in writing letters to RA, CART etc I doubt the deal would have came off. RA is back on as much due to fans reaction as anything, it's the fans that's prompted Mario into bat. My point being fans CAN make a difference, if they want too.
Old 1 May 2003, 00:20 (Ref:585786)   #27
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt TG or Bernie will bail out the series formerly known as CART. The company is leeking money by the quarter and there is no business plan put forth by the CEO to stop it. Will Mr.Pook have to go to the Board and ask for tens of millions of dollars again? Do Emmo, Stefan and the gym teacher have sponsorship yet? They didn't on Feb 23 - the last time I checked.

Its cheaper for Tony to bleed the life out of CART than take over a money losing business. And Bernie, let bptccwspbf die a dignified death. You will always have F3000.
Old 1 May 2003, 00:38 (Ref:585794)   #28
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Thanks Rush. And you always have your .7 / .5 rating from Motegi on network television. Enjoy your victory.

I'm all about openwheel thriving, no matter which side of the fence people currently may sit on. I propose the fans find some common ground and pressure the politicians to come together and at least discuss things. If you don't support the idea that's fine, but Tony can't buy the fans, as he is finding out by race attendance and ticket sales to Indy.

Last edited by The Snout; 1 May 2003 at 00:39.
Old 1 May 2003, 01:17 (Ref:585806)   #29
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I got the ball rolling...I just posted a new topic in the IRL forum called One Open Wheel Racing Series! I have been sitting on my hands for seven years...watching CP and TG ruin OW racing in North America. Not anymore!
Old 1 May 2003, 01:35 (Ref:585815)   #30
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Good on you Dov.

Who knows at this point what action we would want to take. Maybe a petition delivered to both sides as well as a bit of picketing, who knows, it's an open forum and we're just getting ideas at this stage. But I've had a gutful of fans waiting, thinking about the good ol' days, but not doing anything, lets just see how everyone feels about being more vocal.

If enough people are fed up with the state of openwheel, the state of the Indy 500, then we can decide on the best way to get a message across. I mean, if I'm the only guy who cares, and I have to email IMS and CART everyday for years then damm it I will, someone has to speak up.

Thanks Dov for the post over in the IRL, I'd like to see IRL fans opinion, if all fans united in support it would be a great day.
Old 1 May 2003, 02:31 (Ref:585841)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Snout, I am with you. Open wheel has suffered too long as a house divided. rush1, good point about CART financials. IRL is not publicly held, so the financials there are less forthcoming. I suspect however that If IRL is not bleeding as profusely, it certainly is not making money any faster than CART. If there is not conciliation on both sides, open wheel will soon be all bun and no burger. You do point out with great regularity the state of CART financially - can you shed some light on TG's series?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 May 2003, 13:13 (Ref:586218)   #32
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember though that while the IRL may not make money, the Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and the Grand Prix (maybe, i'm not sure) does make good money, which from there flows onto the IRL.
Old 1 May 2003, 15:34 (Ref:586338)   #33
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know the IRL's financials but I do know the Indianapolis 500 was a cash cow before Mr. George took over. I would agree with you racer69, the money generated from the 400 goes toward the IRL. And hell, IMS spent anywhere from $20 to $40 million remodeling the track for F1. They asked for no government support, someting most sports franchises (at least in the states) would never do.
Old 1 May 2003, 15:51 (Ref:586370)   #34
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a though: What's Indy worth? What's TG worth? If Bernie were to get involved in CART, it would be only prudent take control of Indy to secure CART and maximize the potential for open wheel racing based in the US.

Last edited by Snrub; 1 May 2003 at 15:52.
Old 1 May 2003, 20:10 (Ref:586641)   #35
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Remember though that while the IRL may not make money, the Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and the Grand Prix (maybe, i'm not sure) does make good money, which from there flows onto the IRL.
Correct me if Im wrong, but I don't think the U.S. grand prix will be held at Indy for much longer.
Old 1 May 2003, 21:03 (Ref:586700)   #36
EBTM
Rookie

EBTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well, I'm not going to say again and again that TG has been trying to kill CART and that Mario has been trying to keep a branch to unite both series... something that we all know.

I just want to say that IF the series are united ever, PLEASE, LET THE CHAMP CARS be the choice for the series because I really don't like the IRL cars... with all respect, they are UGLY.
Old 1 May 2003, 21:38 (Ref:586764)   #37
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
If as fans we could have a big outcry and get Mario onboard we would have a huge voice.