Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 May 2003, 18:52 (Ref:597244)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche 962 and Group C cars

Does anyone know how many chassis were produced and are still around.

Also does anyone know of any Group C/IMSA GTP cars that are be restored/prepared for historic racing. I have read there are a number of cars out there that will compete but due to many not having turned a wheel for 10 years plus it will take some time for them to be ready.
Old 12 May 2003, 19:02 (Ref:597269)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
There are many that have been racing in North American and Europe for many years in Historic Racing. There is a series in Europe that has been going for a couple of years. I think if you typed Group C 2002 into a web search you'd find them pretty quick.

check out www.hsrrace.com for some pictures of them.

Here is a decent picture of Daytona Historics with a few cars running.

Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, they are my dad's photo's so..
Old 12 May 2003, 19:39 (Ref:597300)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm a little surprised about how few 956/962s there are racing in the Group C Racing series. THey were the mainstay of contempory Group C racing, so why not now we have this 'historic' series.

Surely it is one of the easiest cars to maintain sue to the sheer numbers. Still this series is still only a couple years old and yet ot develop into such a success like TGP.

Anyway here's a pic of the 962 that came 7th in the recent race at Spa(not the best pic but hey!).
Attached Thumbnails
porsche.jpg  
Old 12 May 2003, 19:40 (Ref:597302)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Porsche 962 and Group C cars

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Does anyone know how many chassis were produced and are still around.
Try this for a starting point: http://962.com/registry/956_962/index.htm

Last edited by Adam43; 12 May 2003 at 19:40.
Old 12 May 2003, 22:02 (Ref:597424)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I'm a little surprised about how few 956/962s there are racing in the Group C Racing series. THey were the mainstay of contempory Group C racing, so why not now we have this 'historic' series.

Surely it is one of the easiest cars to maintain sue to the sheer numbers. Still this series is still only a couple years old and yet ot develop into such a success like TGP.

Anyway here's a pic of the 962 that came 7th in the recent race at Spa(not the best pic but hey!).
I'm also suprised at the lack of 956/962s in Europe racing. I would have thought the TWR Jaguars and the like would have been the rarest cars but have been out in good numbers.

I heard Lloyd was going to race his Canon 956.
Old 13 May 2003, 01:33 (Ref:597520)   #6
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group C

There was a great 2-hour Group C race at the 2001 Silverstone Historic Festival. We did a Feature on it with a bunch of photos from the meeting - mainly Group C cars as they're the ones that grabbed me on the day

I can tell you that walking between them on the grid at Silverstone was an amazing experience. They have so much presence and there's so much variation in body design, aerodynamics and engine configuration that there's always something new to see. And the noise and smells during refuelling stops were extraordinary!

I'd love to see more Group C cars out there. I'd also like to see the Aston Martin Nimrod and the rotary-engined Dome / Mazda from le Mans fifteen years ago. The Dome made the most outrageous noise imaginable - I can still remember it now

2001 Silverstone Historic Festival Feature

2001 Silverstone Historic Festival Photo Gallery

Nick Froome

Last edited by paulzinho; 13 May 2003 at 12:22.
Old 13 May 2003, 02:00 (Ref:597533)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Apologies for the first picture attempt.

Old 13 May 2003, 02:17 (Ref:597540)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
Re: Group C

Quote:
Originally posted by bolide
There was a great 2-hour Group C race at the 2001 Silverstone Historic Festival. We did a Feature on it with a bunch of photos from the meeting - mainly Group C cars as they're the ones that grabbed me on the day

I can tell you that walking between them on the grid at Silverstone was an amazing experience. They have so much presence and there's so much variation in body design, aerodynamics and engine configuration that there's always something new to see. And the noise and smells during refuelling stops were extraordinary!

I'd love to see more Group C cars out there. I'd also like to see the Aston Martin Nimrod and the rotary-engined Dome / Mazda from le Mans fifteen years ago. The Dome made the most outrageous noise imaginable - I can still remember it now

2001 Silverstone Historic Festival Feature

2001 Silverstone Historic Festival Photo Gallery

Nick Froome
Great photos. Do you have, or know of hi-res photos of these Group C cars to use as wallpaper and printouts.

Last edited by paulzinho; 16 May 2003 at 15:34.
Old 13 May 2003, 02:25 (Ref:597547)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some great photos posted here after each event:

http://www.hsrrace.com/

Just a little taste. B.O.S.S., American style:
http://www.hsrrace.com/03_atlanta/fu...IMG_6602_f.jpg

And the GTP field:
http://www.hsrrace.com/03_atlanta/fu...IMG_6657_f.jpg

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 13 May 2003 at 02:31.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:01 (Ref:599861)   #10
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG

I heard Lloyd was going to race his Canon 956.
That's one of the cars I'd most like to see appear in a historic Group C race- particularly if he could persuade Palmer and Lammers to have a run in it again...
Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:19 (Ref:642975)   #11
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last Sunday we had race of the Historic Group C at Zolder. The numbers on the grid were a little bit down.

A lot of cars are in repair at the moment (2 * jaguar, 2 * Lancia and 1 * aston Martin), the Silk Cut Jaguar of Win Percy was on static display.

But the Kremer Porsche of Ralf Kelleners was great to see. What I've heard from the Kremer-pits is that a few more Porsche were in build-up fase.

One of my pics, more at my homepage
http://www.zandbak.net/2003/historic/010.jpg

[edit: pic changed to URL. Please see FAQ about posting large images. Redshoes]
Old 27 Jun 2003, 19:16 (Ref:645031)   #12
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
check http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...&num=754&left=
also .. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame..._sportscars.mv

from Spa this year ..

Last edited by Dani Filth; 27 Jun 2003 at 19:18.

Ciao Marco
Old 28 Jun 2003, 21:37 (Ref:645644)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Zandbak
Last Sunday we had race of the Historic Group C at Zolder. The numbers on the grid were a little bit down.

A lot of cars are in repair at the moment (2 * jaguar, 2 * Lancia and 1 * aston Martin), the Silk Cut Jaguar of Win Percy was on static display.

But the Kremer Porsche of Ralf Kelleners was great to see. What I've heard from the Kremer-pits is that a few more Porsche were in build-up fase.

One of my pics, more at my homepage
http://www.zandbak.net/2003/historic/010.jpg

[edit: pic changed to URL. Please see FAQ about posting large images. Redshoes]
Yeh, Just checked out the race results and I assumed the numbers were down due to repairs and travel problems. There should be a great turnout at the Donnigton DTM meeting in July.

I would hope the Nissan GTP and maybe the Zackspeed Ford and some late generation 962s are out to put the pressure on the Jaguars and Spices.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 07:42 (Ref:653751)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you are interested, there are two 962s for sale in the August addition of C&SC. The 'Primagaz' car, chassis no. 962-130C which finished 2nd at Le Mans in 1987, being sold by Oakfields, and, the 'Kenwood' car, details of which apparently (I haven't looked yet) on www.symbolicmotors.com
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!