Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Jul 2003, 08:36 (Ref:654505)   #51
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope too Don is OK.
Nice to meet you on Saturday Simon also Joe Twyman and other 10/10thers.
I was not there yesterday - who won the Orwell Supersports? Did Geoff Farmer make the second race in the March 717 after breaking down on saturday?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 09:28 (Ref:654568)   #52
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goeff Farmer and Don Bell both made the 2nd Orwell race. Don Bell's Lola having the gearbox mag welded up overnight.

It was won in quite fine style by Richard Eyre in a McLaren M8F.

Drive of the day must have been Simon Hadfield in the 'Dereck Bell F3' race. Almost lapped the whole field doing a 1.23 lap (FTD) in the process.

SL
Old 7 Jul 2003, 10:08 (Ref:654599)   #53
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks SL.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 10:13 (Ref:654604)   #54
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, Simons car looked and sounded fabulous, but then it was an F2 car!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 10:18 (Ref:654610)   #55
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Was that his light blue Chevron?
If so it is the car he co-owns with Marcus Pye.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 10:39 (Ref:654633)   #56
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think that's the one, the ex Keke Rosburg car
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:07 (Ref:654698)   #57
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those Supersports were absolutely superb. I'm not easily impressed when spectating, but they were jaw-droppingly good, right the way through the field.

As for us, retired after one lap of practice, due to oil pressure problems (possibly related to the fist-sized hole in the crankcase). As my brother bravely said "At least it was a proper failure this time!"
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:50 (Ref:654754)   #58
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on post 15, just after the Hawthorn Bend and had a great 2 days, being that far round I was not aware of the accident but I hope Don is doing ok. There was some awesome cars out racing and I enjoyed every one, the Orwell Sportscars were amazing and very very noisy. I will make sure that I try and marshal at more of the rounds next season. Well done to all the ten tenthers who took part, and to those that didn't quite make it!!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:56 (Ref:654761)   #59
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did those front two drivers in the last race get a telling off. The driving was getting quite dangerous especially from Paddock to druids where i was, I can only assume it was like that all the way round the lap. nice to see a novice getting stuck in tho!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 13:06 (Ref:654779)   #60
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear that Don pulled through in the Allard. I was on Post 3 and went to down to assist and he wasn't in a good state when I last saw him. He was unconcious as he went into the ambulance and I think the circuit PA announcement that he was ok was a bit optimistic.

Truly has to be one of the most dramtic incidents I've seen down there. From Post 3 he was about 15ft in the air and rolled it 4 times. At a rough estimate only...

From my point of view I'd like to say a huge well done to everyone involved from all of us marshals and the rescue crew and doctors. I think we did everything by the book!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 13:10 (Ref:654785)   #61
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
what was the last race ? also sorry to hear you had problems as well HiRich - what were you out in?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 13:55 (Ref:654832)   #62
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do hope the driver is ok, i wasnt watching and only saw it landing on its wheels, which was a miracle in itself. If it hadnt i dont know what would have happened.

It was the orignal last race, the formula fords. Does anybody know what sort of times the supersports doing around the circuit?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 17:20 (Ref:655010)   #63
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Incident filled days racing yesterday, poor Don Shead, his rolls looked positively frightening, even from Clearways. Lets hope he makes a full recovery.

Simon Hadfield was easily the driver of the day on Sunday, whether he was demolishing the rest of the field in the Derek Bell F2/F3 race (with a superb display of pure racing)or having fun in Chevron B8, Lotus Elan etc.

The Can-Am's truly thundered their way round (with Peter Hoffman giving following drivers a fright by trying to lose it at Clearways at the end of the first lap) and a great display from Richard Eyre as usual.

Irvine Laidlaw didn't have a great day either did he? Porsche damaged on Sundays first race and then the Chevron had a wheel pull out at the end of Clearways and cause a heart stopping spin and several avoidances for those following closely.

Bad luck to all those 10/tenthers who had problems on the day and congrats to all those who enjoyed a great days racing.

Finally, David Brown was entered in a Elva Mk7S in the Farringdon Trophy race, is this the same David Brown who raced a Triumph Vitesse and later a U2 in the sixties?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 17:28 (Ref:655022)   #64
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by spanner
Does anybody know what sort of times the supersports doing around the circuit?
I only saw them saturday and the quick guys were in the 26's.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 15:06 (Ref:655919)   #65
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by D-Type
Thanks folks, maybe I will go after all.
I went and thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly the Can Am cars.
My teenage son came too and thoroughly enjoyed his first taste of motor racing.
Is there any news regarding Don Shead?

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 15:06 (Ref:655920)   #66
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon
We were in the Juniors on Saturday, though in a 500cc Cooper F3, so we would have been a bit of a mobile chicane anyway. Normally we can get amongst the front-engined FJ's, but the straights and hills slaughtered us (David Woodhouse was the only F3 to take the start in the dark green Cooper, and I think he was a little surprised to be quite so far back).

As our F3 colleague Marek Reichman had 'cheated' by turning up in his new FJ Cooper, we just jumped across and gave him a hand. So we still got something out of it.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 16:05 (Ref:655955)   #67
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its a shame we have to wait another year to do it all again! The GP circuit most rate as one of the great tracks to race, this is the second year running I havent finished a race there so hopefully third time lucky!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 22:20 (Ref:656297)   #68
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you seen the news today?
There may not be a next year as they're planning to sell brands to some property developers.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 07:55 (Ref:656575)   #69
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or it could mean a street race between the houses, Monaco stlye

Perhaps not.