Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Sep 2003, 14:49 (Ref:708142)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
J J Yealey-Sarah Fisher at panther? 2 parter

JJ has shown to be a track master in openwheel USAC cars
going for the triple crown is no small feat and doing as well as he is is even better.
Thing is the IRL is shooting themselves in the foot with their Infinty pro series, it has lack luster talent and no way to develop drivers, as USAC shows it can (Jeff gordon, Tony Stewart, A.J. Foyt #1...)
JJ yealy is great and is being considred for panthers seat next year-What? he is good but why have an IPS if they will leap frog it to IRL?
shouldn't he go right on to IPS for one year? i know he had IRL experience but that didn't go so well, so let him learn the bigger tracks in IPS and then go right to IRL-isn't it the point of IPS anyway, or is TG that much of an idiot to ignore his own feeder series(or even create it when he had said USAC was the feeder to begin with)
and Sarah Fisher was voted on speedTV as the one who should go to PAnther next year, ny thoughts? I thnk she can with a good car scare lots of the boys out there
Old 4 Sep 2003, 15:50 (Ref:708174)   #2
Tazmanracer
Rookie

Tazmanracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sarah Fisher might be the most favorite driver out there but it doesn't mean she is right for the Panther seat. I haven't seen her do well enough in a race so far to deserve it. Not saying she wouldn't do well but just my opinion. I think she has already signed for another year with D&R with extra sponsorship, i think i read it somewhere.

As far as JJ is concerned, he has has the opportunities to drive in the IRL and so far not wanted it. He had a chance to do a one off race in the IPS and didn't even bother to turn up when he said he would. He's had a number of IRL teams interested in him but he's not willing so IMO he can go south, my feeling is he already has something signed.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 15:56 (Ref:708179)   #3
dirtfan
Racer

dirtfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an interview with JJ in Speedway Illustrated (or Sprintcar & Midget), and he said that at his advanced age of 23 or so, and having to support himself with driving, he didn't have the time to waste a year in a feeder series.
TG's mistake is in listening to too many people with F1 type interests. I used to visit with JJ in the pits (not paddocks) when he was running sprints at Perris, but I never went to Brazil and spoke with Penske's drivers after a Go Kart race. It's still all about FAN BASE
Old 4 Sep 2003, 19:33 (Ref:708353)   #4
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panther's seat, along with that of Childress partner, will go to a driver that GM believes can win againts the vaunted Toyota trio of Castroneves, Hornish and Dixon.

JJ Yealey might get a role like that of Danny Wheldon or perhaps even more like Tonny Renna - spot races. Sarah Fisher is not under consideration.

I think Herta, Barron, and Scheckter probably top the list. Paul Tracy is a possible should CART fold.

Chevrolet, who will be putting much of the driver salary money, is going to insist that it's top teams (Panther/Childress, maybe Cheever) have drivers that can compete against the top dogs from Honda and Toyota. The GenIV engine may be as good as Toyota's, but so far only Hornish is getting the results.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 21:17 (Ref:708452)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Panther will only run 1 car in 2003, they are wise to sign an experienced guy like Bryan herta. A second car would be ideal for a youngster, perhaps JJ, but I'd be interested to see who of JJ and Mark Taylor would be quicker in an IRL test. I think the IPS is a Mickey Mouse series, and fills no purpose.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 21:44 (Ref:708463)   #6
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Fisher would be a good move, she stays with her team mate most of the time, often beating them and could do with a bigger team to help her progress. It's that win that everyone needs to go on and get bigger and better.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 03:33 (Ref:708697)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

i feel sarah needs better equipment to test her, she hasn't had bad stuff, but she has been in a 2nd tier team her holw time at IRL so far...
A feeder series isn't a bad move after all he sould win every event and get a bonus that way, and get signed easy. most likely he'd go over to NASCAR, money money money.
I wouldn't know why after getting a IPS drive he'd screw it over, and why not show interst in a top team to get some experience with good equipment.
In all these respects Sam Hornish has shown so much maturity and class- did any one see him on WindTunnnel? What a class racer.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 21:31 (Ref:709592)   #8
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sarah Fisher is the most overhyped driver in US motorsport. Yes she's good, yes she's doing a great job of showing that females can compete on an even footing with the blokes at a high level of motorsport, hell she's probably the best famale driver in motor racing for some time. But she's not a good racer, she seems to struggle in traffic and at the moment is far too inconsistant in races. One moment she's lapping as fast as the frontrunners, next she's struggling to hold off some backmarkers. I'd say given a drive like Wheldon or Renna in the second car she might throw up a few shocks, but I certainly don't see her as a worthy lead driver for a team like Panther.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 23:38 (Ref:709683)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

Unlike Danica Patrick, and the outrageously wealthy Milka Duno, Fisher is not gettig alot of seat time, nor is she getting the best coaching. I feel it really possible for someone who can get podium places to carry the car to P1 given the best car, and attention. not getting a steady drive recently and not getting real support from a legend like Rahal doesn't shine up any dullness, overhyped possibly, but endurance training and more coaching is what she needs, I think a 'girl' racer is a non-issue now and they only need the same resources as a champion driver.
she has the resume, and the history (since 5 yrs i believe in Karts and 1/4 midgets) so it in her, the underdog always gets rooted for, and she is no exception- she isn't great now, but niether is witherill and he gets a bit more attention, as does the over looked Renna- he is quick justnot taken care of. the list goes on and on, but while they have a real star driver exploit her and bring up her talents (it is only IRL no banging ala NASCAR,and only patience and tenacity seems to be the ingredients she needs.)
Old 6 Sep 2003, 03:11 (Ref:709775)   #10
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironically, on the coaching subject, Tony Renna was in Skip Barber Formula Ford series (lucky him he got to pass me ) where Robbie Buhl was one of the instructors. So Robbie should be able to give Sarah some form of coaching.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 16:14 (Ref:710181)   #11
dirtfan
Racer

dirtfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironically, on the coaching subject, a Skip Barber instructor (don't remember who) came to Perris Auto Speedway one night a few years ago, to try driving one of those sprint things Sarah used to drive, wadded it up and took it home in a bag on the first lap of qualifing! Maybe they could cross-instruct?