Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Sep 2003, 10:57 (Ref:712937)   #1
chevron
Rookie

chevron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan van der Merwe is British F3 champion

Alan van der Merwe became the first South African to win the F3 title in the history of the championship.He has done this with 9 wins so far(and I think he will be quick at Brands)and I think with 16 podiums so far.
He dominated the chamionship with some great drives e.g SPA in the wet,winning both there.
Last weekend at Donington,he drove a stormer in race 1 which unfortunately ended while challenging for the lead on lap 21.
We all hope he gets an F1 test program with a top team in 2004.

Well done Alan on a great consistent performance
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:42 (Ref:713066)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,
I think he's ready for a season in Carlin's Dallara Nissan car
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:43 (Ref:713069)   #3
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my thoughts exactly
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:46 (Ref:713076)   #4
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I don't like to say "I told you so", but, I'm afraid I did. And if you look here, you'll see the proof, in a roundabout stylee!

Sadly () though, I no longer think AvdM is going to be tipped for F1 greatness exactly, though I do see him with a lengthy testing contract along the lines of Wurz or Badoer, which could put him in the frame for a drive.

Sorry, Alan!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:58 (Ref:713098)   #5
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what the hell is that site on the link....what a pile of ****. I can hardley make out the news through all the silly gags "lolita" chasis - Carmen squad - Robert Darkgreen

Anything you read on this site must be finction in some kiddies mind
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:59 (Ref:713100)   #6
darcym
Veteran

I am ready for flames....you know that should read fiction
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:03 (Ref:713108)   #7
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Four stars! Thanks, darcy!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:34 (Ref:713144)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Van der Merwe has rather come out of nowhere, hasn't he? Let's hope for a successful (two-year?) campaign in Dallara Nissan and then on to greatness. But British F3 Champions sometimes run aground (Hynes, Kane, Gavin, Firman until recently, Sato unless he gets the BAR gig).
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:45 (Ref:713157)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'd not tip van der merwe for greatness at all. while he's won the championship, it's been by default. no-one else has been consistent enough to provide any form of opposition.
rather than reflecting badly on this years field, i'd say it reflects badly on last years. it's wrong to expect any of the first year lot to challenge this year (but they certainly will next year all being well - look at danny watts & robert dahlgren's strong end of year form), so the emphasis was on last years learners, eg antinucci and piccione. all it's done is shown they've reached their limits.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 17:21 (Ref:713357)   #10
darcym
Veteran

I have really enjoyed watching VDM and Jamie Green this year. A few others have stood out in races too but I consistantly enjoyed watching them both.

Has there been anyone of interest who has won the F3 championship in their first year ? anyone who has gone on / not gone on to better things ?
Old 9 Sep 2003, 18:28 (Ref:713451)   #11
piquetfan
Racer

piquetfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
see the other thread "F3 question"
Old 10 Sep 2003, 12:04 (Ref:714017)   #12
chevron
Rookie

chevron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Bella.
I think your comment that VDM won the championship by default is a bit strong,with such a poor quality list of competitors.
One which you lsft off your list of experienced F3 drivers is Adam Carol.
Also,one should remember that there were a few FRenault guys from last year,and the difference between FRenault and F3 is not that big.The Renault runners having experience of Slicks and Wings and almost the same power.
Your comment that no one else has been consistent enough to challenge him,I guess that depends on their being the complete package,as people like Piquet have probably done more miles in an F3 car than most.I think it speaks of Alans domination of a not so poor field.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 21:05 (Ref:721213)   #13
Master Yoda
Rookie

Master Yoda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble with VDM is that he lacks the correct PR and management to make the move to F1 easy for him.