Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Nov 2003, 20:16 (Ref:775203)   #26
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When'd he do that?

Mind you Ice racing is a sufficiently different form of motorpsort. (ie, not on tarmac. Although Le Mans is for 24hours, it's still just a circuit race)
Old 7 Nov 2003, 06:47 (Ref:775613)   #27
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Familiarity breeds contempt
"Contempt" may be a too strong word ; remeber that french people is not sports type : opposite of English people, who love to compete and take part even if they've no chance to win, most of french people involved in sports want to win, or have a chance to win ; and in Le Mans, nothing is certain.

BTW, it happens that french people don't pay a lot of interrest into car's races ; there's fans, and solid fans, but much less than for bicyles and football, or even rugby, a very appreciated and popular sport in the south of France.

We may pay more attention to Le Mans if a french team becomes a potential winner : for now, we're far from it...
Old 7 Nov 2003, 08:19 (Ref:775706)   #28
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey, Pescarolo could steal the show Fab, you never know They could be the next best cars after the Audis, and so with a reliable run they could finish 3rd or 4th at least.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 08:50 (Ref:775737)   #29
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I hope, Pirenzo, but if there's no problem in the Audi and in the Dome, the Courage Evo should be behind : I would like to see them win fairly, with a good engine is this wonderful car !
Old 7 Nov 2003, 12:06 (Ref:775857)   #30
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It seems to me to be a big shot in F1 you have to be a premadonna for a start . Look at Prost and Lauda , Schumacher and Bro , Mansell and Berger . But people seem to change their attitude when they leyve that side of the sport ! Eddie Irvine is a grass roots racer and has excelled in every manner of the sport that he has ever attempted . Big deal if he speaks his mind , are we not allowed to do that anymore . Irvine and Villeneuve are buddies from their Japan days . The only drivers that have ever had a problem with Irvine are F1 boys . I actually thought that Irvine's attitude of speaking his mind is very honorable . But it seems that you cant bring the sport into disrepute . Maybe thats what has our sport so Fxxked up . People afraid to be open and honest and voice their opinion when something goes wrong . Villeneuve is also of the same temperament and that is the way to go .

Oh and like Martin Brundle ..... I suppose he is one of the easiest drivers to get along with !!!

Irvine and Villeneuve have both expressed a wish to wanting to do LeMans . Great , bring it on ............

Audi Canada with Villeneuve and Irvine im sticking with .
Old 7 Nov 2003, 12:22 (Ref:775871)   #31
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques isn't based in Canada, he's only got a restaurant there. I don't think he's lived here since he was 10. Racing in Europe would be more likely especially since they require much less in the way of fan interaction, which he does not enjoy or even do if he can help it.

Salo did a lot of complaining about how slow the Audi R8 was and how he hated having to be there for a week and do all the PR and how if he didn't do well he'd never come back. (I was at the Audi press conference and heard him.) As he never got to drive at all, I would bet he's not coming back. And once Jacques hears about all the PR he'd have to do if he wants a top drive, he'd be more likely to get into a GT car where nobody would bother him.

Freisinger nearly won from TRG at Le Mans in 2002 but of course they had AJR drivers in the cars. Hard to judge how good the team would be if their own guys were in the car.

And I don't think Jacques is a team player in any sense of the word. A year on his sofa at home might mellow him out a bit in that regard. Prost came back and won another championship after all.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 12:49 (Ref:775908)   #32
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I will agree with Ayse, a solid "Le Mans" performer is the ideal team mate for someone like JV. First of all for the experience.
You could always team JV with the other two drivers he shared the car with in his previous sportscar experience- Irvine and Tom Kristensen- no shortage of solid LM experience there.....
Old 7 Nov 2003, 12:52 (Ref:775910)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a different kind of PR in sportscar, although PR nonetheless.

I'd like it to happen and it would be great for Villeneuve if it happened with one of the best, Ortelli.

Off topic. However I my dream team is Ortelli, Kristensen and Lehto. No room for Villeneuve in that
Old 7 Nov 2003, 13:38 (Ref:775960)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see Kristensen driving with JV (or Irvine for that matter). Why would he want to - he has absolutely nothing to prove in sportscars.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 16:12 (Ref:776098)   #35
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
pirenzo: I believe the Pescarolo Courage was second to the Team Goh Audi at the Spa race this year. So yeah, I'd think they have a shot to duplicate that feat this weekend.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 16:33 (Ref:776111)   #36
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...like Henri needs to earn the automatic entry through this race. Isn't he permanently on the entry list for Le Mans

Not that I'm arguing, mind - sure, it's chauvinism, but if the French want someone to be their standard-bearer in their own bleedin' race, I can't imagine who does it better.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 7 Nov 2003, 16:36 (Ref:776116)   #37
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back on topic:

Mmmm, Lehto. I'd love to see JV learn a bit from JJ - that guy is all class - but I fear their physical stature would make seat fitting rather tricky. JJ's, shall we say, of normal height.

Still, JJ, JH, JV would be a nice combo...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 7 Nov 2003, 17:22 (Ref:776149)   #38
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Alan Mcnish as a possible partner? He has Le Mans experience and experience in sports car racing in general. I don't know much about his demeanor though. Maybe he will he make a return to sports car racing.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 17:52 (Ref:776177)   #39
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
...like Henri needs to earn the automatic entry through this race. Isn't he permanently on the entry list for Le Mans

Not that I'm arguing, mind - sure, it's chauvinism, but if the French want someone to be their standard-bearer in their own bleedin' race, I can't imagine who does it better.
I think there's no gift from ACO, even or french teams (they're numerous to complain about that !)... if Henri doesn't deserve it, he won't get it.

And Courage is, this year, at a beter place than Pescarolo team...
Old 7 Nov 2003, 17:54 (Ref:776180)   #40
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
JJ, JH, JV would be a nice combo...
We have to find an appropriate car ! What about a Judd engine... let's say a Dallara !
Old 7 Nov 2003, 18:38 (Ref:776225)   #41
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
So JJ, JH and JV in a JD?

-Bill James
Old 7 Nov 2003, 23:13 (Ref:776404)   #42
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I don't see Kristensen driving with JV (or Irvine for that matter). Why would he want to - he has absolutely nothing to prove in sportscars.
Except that a line up like that would obviously be in a front running - manufacturer backed - car and would give him another chance of a Le Mans victory, giving him another notch on the cv. And, as he isn't geting any younger and there appear to be no F1 or single seater contracts on the horizon... Hmm, he has nothing left to prove at all

He's a sportscar man, winning either the ALMS or Le Mans year on year is the same idea as a single seater driver winning in F1. Its relative. So a choice drive with two guys he gets on with and who are blindingly quick, why wouldn't he? Especially if a manufacturer is paying the bill!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 21:27 (Ref:781421)   #43
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AdamAshmore, I agree 100% on having JJLehto in a team; he'd be my first pick.

I used to feel the same about Dalmas but i think he is more prone to mistakes.

- Interesting choice about Ortelli.. would you mind expanding on the reasons for choosing him? I like to hear about drivers i know little about.

I do remember he drove well for Audi, and also for Porsche (in 98 IIRC).
Old 12 Nov 2003, 21:55 (Ref:781448)   #44
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Back on topic:

Still, JJ, JH, JV would be a nice combo...
I don't think JH likes JV. Anyway, that's too many Js in one car!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 22:20 (Ref:781467)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz the Cow
- Interesting choice about Ortelli.. would you mind expanding on the reasons for choosing him? I like to hear about drivers i know little about.
Ortelli, well firstly I think he is a fantastic driver. He has excels in any sportscar. Recently, of course, we have seen little in the top class, but I am sure he has what he takes. In fact he didn't even have an entry for 2003 Le Mans. However that hasn't stopped him winning 24 hours this year!

He was good in the Bentley although we didn't get to see him in the race (IIRC) and the Q efforts were Brundle's for that car.

The re-united winning '98 squad made up the second place Audi in 2000. Actually when you look at the Audi squad that year (and others) you see it wasn't just the cars that did it for them! Anyway, they were beaten by Kristensen (another of my choices). Ortelli was my man of that squad even with the other two being Aiello and McNish.

Still despite this in the last couple of years he has done wonders in the Porsches and this brings me to another reason. He just looks like he is enjoying it. He's understated, but at home in a NGT 911 or a prototype Audi or Bentley. He also seems to like his Porsches!

My main problem would be who do you put in the car for that night decisive stint? Lehto, Ortelli or Kristensen. Actually it isn't a problem, you just put in whoever is schedueled to go next!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 22:44 (Ref:781486)   #46
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
One wonders how much more successful might Ortelli have been if Porsche hadn't pulled out of sports cars in 1998. After all, Wollek was nearing the end of his career, at least in the top flight, and Ortelli would have been an obvious replacement.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 23:06 (Ref:781514)   #47
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point BSchneiderfan.

Adam, thanks for the reply.

I had forgotten about that special aspect "enjoyment" of driving. I can't imagine anything better when coming into the pits and handing the car over to a guy who is not just quick, but is relaxed and positive also - excellent point.

I think Ortelli also did some Porsche Cup racing of some sort.

The only thing that bothers me about Kristensen is that he is always in the best team and lead car with the perfect team mates, and he hasn't been in F1. Why would a driver as good as he supposedly is meant to be, not go to F1?
(Although I'm sure if VW put a team in to F1 he would be on the short list to drive.)

But its hard to ignore five Le Mans victories!
Old 13 Nov 2003, 06:19 (Ref:781686)   #48
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Watch Stephane Ortelli at last 1000 kms : who said that racing was not physicaly demanding ?

Courtesy of Jean-Eric Descombes, via SpiritOf.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 13:29 (Ref:782038)   #49
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
From todays Austrian newspaper the "Kronen Zeitung" ..... Villeneuve has said that he will take a sabatical for 2004 except for a 24 hour ski race and would like to do LeMans with Audi in 2005 !!!

Thats it
Old 14 Nov 2003, 06:11 (Ref:782849)   #50
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Wow ! That's news again ! Well:
- Audi will be here in 2005
- and JV will be in (I hope for a Gulf one, with LemariƩ and Johansonn)