Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Apr 2001, 21:26 (Ref:79619)   #26
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would be interestning to track some rare racer. Like the 4WD test Ford Mondeo Super Tourer? Or the Andy Rouse Toyota Corolla Super Tourer? Maybe the ´93 sedan Volvo 850 Super Tourer? I could go on...
Old 11 Apr 2001, 21:36 (Ref:79627)   #27
Caradoc
Rookie

Caradoc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess I have to admit that I’ve also been thinking about a project like that. I started to collect information from websites, car magazines and things like that but it didn’t take long before even I realised how hard that would be. But I guess that if you started to ask manufactures, teams and such it would be much easier than just using the information that’s avaible on the net…

Anyway, even thou I allready gave up this project once I try to remember when I here something new and after this little chat I really had to find out some more info about those 98 Volvos. So the story probably goes like this.

The car that Rydell won the BTCC with was later used at Bathurst where he and Richards took it to another victory. In –99 Richards drove it in the ASTC and later once again at Bathurst, this time together with Cameron McLean. In –00 it wasn’t used for most of the year following Volvos withdraw from the ASTC, however it ended up in Sweden where Kelvin Burt drove in the last race of the season.

The car that Morbidelli had driven did also take part in the race at Bathurst but was crashed by Harvey. In 1999 Janne ”Flash” took the rebuilt car to a fifth place in the STCC. The year after rumours said that it was bought by Raimo Skog who would enter it for ex. works driver Edman, however that never happened and instead the privateer Jan Lindblom drove it in the last round. This year he will probably continue with that car but it might also be the ex. Rydell car.

The third car which was probably a spare car in the BTCC also went to Sweden where it was raced by Jens Edman. In 2000 it was put into a museum.

That could be a true story but I don’t promise anything. As I said, it would probably be much easier to ask Flash Engineering…

BTW, I did also find out that the car ”Flash” used in –98 went to China in 1999 (!). It later ended up at Sport Promotion and I would think it’s this car that Sundberg will drive this year.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 22:03 (Ref:79646)   #28
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This has to one of the most productive discussions ever!
I'll get in contact with a few teams to see whether they'd like to supply us with info.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 22:43 (Ref:79672)   #29
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
If you do write to them chassis numbers are the key but also worth asking:

date built / date purchased
if purchased, who from
race history - driver/series/race wins
date sold / distroyed
if sold, who to

Prodrive would be a good starting point as all the ex-works Honda used to go back to them for rebuilds/updates years after they were sold. Also worth going though the old Autosport for sale ads and emailing/faxing anyone whose had a car for sale.

Do we have any takers for a co-ordinated effort ?
Old 11 Apr 2001, 22:47 (Ref:79676)   #30
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've sent an e-mail to Triple Eight and VLR. Maybe it'd be easier to start with this years new cars so we don't have to go back a few years.
Old 12 Apr 2001, 17:25 (Ref:79854)   #31
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one good way of keeping trakk of super tourers is to see what pops up in the formula saloons championship.
http://www.formulasaloons.com

they race everything from super tourers to v8 beasts!!!!!!
the mondeos from 99 are being raced in thata at the moment and a lot of old btcc cars are up for sale at the moment
expensive tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Apr 2001, 17:36 (Ref:79859)   #32
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I've started saving the pennies already to get one in about 10 years time. I reckon you could get a 95 or 96 car for under £10,000 then.

Last edited by touringlegend; 12 Apr 2001 at 17:37.
Old 12 Apr 2001, 19:55 (Ref:79887)   #33
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm mebe!
Old 12 Apr 2001, 20:08 (Ref:79894)   #34
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe I, or we Caradoc, could pull some strings with Volvo here in Sweden...

Could be interestning this...
Old 13 Apr 2001, 22:21 (Ref:80247)   #35
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redshoes wrote:

>As kmchow has already pointed out it be a fairly large
>scale project, and never felt I had the time to do it >justice. The idea would have been not just to locate their current whereabouts but also their history.
>
Perhaps, everyone could start emailing you what they know?

Would info like this be sufficient?

'95 BTCC David Leslie Accord finished ?? championship-->
'96 NATCC Peter Cunningham finished 4th in championship-->
'97 ASTC ????? finished in ??? championship?

>TW I think 40-50 per year is a little excessive. although >ith spare cars I guess it's possible.
>
Let me dig up my personal archives to find that thread.

>Most of the cars do have some sort of chassis number so it >would certainly be possible.
>
But chassis numbers seems too ambitious.
Old 13 Apr 2001, 22:29 (Ref:80250)   #36
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I don't think chassis numbers would be over-ambitious. It's the only way to be even vaguely certain that the information was accurate.
Old 14 Apr 2001, 09:02 (Ref:80360)   #37
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
hmmm, this year we will have a Super Touring Opel Vectra in our Longdistance Championship (SLC). I could maybe start asking the team a little about it, chassis number, more history etc...
Old 15 Apr 2001, 14:30 (Ref:80733)   #38
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a very interesting topic, and I will keep my eye out for future developments.

All I can add currently is that I remember seeing the Rousesport Corollas for sale in Autosport a year or two back.