Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Jan 2004, 13:00 (Ref:852199)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Television Tango, Ten To Turn Turtle?

Interesting noise heard recently is the state of play in the world of advertising and television commercials. It seems that the direct correlation between ratings and chargeable time is causing no end of troubles for one of our major television networks.

It seems that certain advertisers and sponsors of the series have been getting concerned over the ratings of the Supercar series.

The way commercial television networks sell airtime, is by selling advertising space in terms of TARPs related to specific demographics.

For the uninitiated, a TARP is an OZTam ratings agency acronym meaning Target Audience Rating Point, which refers to a specific demographic target relative to the size of the total possible audience, taken from the ratings surveys OzTam conducts.

So say the advertisers want to appeal to men in a certain age group, they buy the slot that has the history of that slot has shown to be successful in hitting the target audience. The network usually guarantees the number of TARP's to be achieved, or will run no-charge slots to make up the difference.

The commercial networks sell airtime guaranteeing a certain number of TARP's for a particular price. Depending on how popular the show is, the prices may vary from $100 for a 30 second ad late at night when nobody cares, to $2500 for the popular news timeslot.

Anyway, it seems there are a number of advertisers out there in television land who have purchased advertising on the V8 Supercar telecasts from around the nation. It seems there have been some issues in meeting the TARP audience targets at different telecasts during the year.

And has got to the point where advertisers are not impressed at having to schedule extra slots which may not be timed to suit. For example, an Easter sale is not useful to be advertised in June...

So the network has to give away all these free slots to cover the damage by the initial poor ratings. And for every free slot is a missed opportunity to get a paid slot in its place.

Network Ten is said to be losing money on some of the telecasts, when the free slots are costed into the total picture. Which is concerning to the network, as it is the only one of the television operators not supported by a Stokes or a Packer.

It seems that this may be the cause of some friction between Network Ten, the Home of Motorsport, and our friends at AVESCO.

AVESCO is said to consider this to not be as big an issue as Ten make it out to be. While noise inside Ten suggests the only friend of motorsport lays in its upper management, it seems there are threats to reduce the coverage of the series on the network by as much as 50%, still within the confines of the existing contract.

China is a problem for Ten in terms of cost, as would Dubai, having little infrastructure of its own, with contractors providing many technical services, it is a big imposition that is a difficult sell if the product is said to be a risk to the total business profitability.

So in the end, Ten may not be the perfect partner in this sport that everyone (including me) enjoys. The risks are high, but seemingly silent. I would hate for anything to happen here, but in reality it seems there are some real problems that may be bubbling in the background
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Jan 2004, 13:16 (Ref:852216)   #2
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Well, if you cut out the preamble, the ads, the interviews and then (during the race) the non-racing bits (pitstops, feet, undercarriages, helmets, eyes and rollcages etc.) we usually only get about 45mins of racing now so this could be a real worry.

Seriously though, it IS a worry. Wonder if any of the cable networks would pick it up...or is the cost a factor there too?
Old 27 Jan 2004, 13:23 (Ref:852224)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the coverage of the overseas rounds in New Zealand and China, could it be likely that TEN/AVESCO will just get the local networks to film etc... and TEN just air it in Australia and commentate via the satelite.

I'd expect the in return for the drop in motorsport coverage, an increase in AFL. It's been happening since TEN got it for 2002, TEN's coverage of overseas events have dropped as a whole (their devotion to CART, WRC etc... isn't what it once was), this just could be the next stage, albeit the most noticeable.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 13:25 (Ref:852225)   #4
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes the following post by RPM Producer over at the RPM forum all the more interesting.

http://www.rpmlive.tv/community/pitb...picID=2&Page=3
Old 27 Jan 2004, 14:14 (Ref:852299)   #5
Arai GP5
Racer

Arai GP5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope I don't get a phonecall when the schedule is released...

"Hey, remember the Channel Seven days of the SATCC running after the Monday night movie..."

Don't say it won't happen! PLEASE DON'T!
Old 27 Jan 2004, 19:20 (Ref:852702)   #6
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah well, there is always the Procar stuff on 7.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 20:48 (Ref:852833)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wonder if any of the cable networks would pick it up...or is the cost a factor there too?
Isn't V8 racing still on the list of sports that can't be taken up solely by cable TV?

Quote:
Regarding the coverage of the overseas rounds in New Zealand and China, could it be likely that TEN/AVESCO will just get the local networks to film etc... and TEN just air it in Australia and commentate via the satelite.
And then have 10 complain about the quality of the telecast giving them even more reason to can the broadcast and the advertisers yet another reason to pull their advertising dollar.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 22:04 (Ref:852918)   #8
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering C10 take all but the AGP from other tv stations the argument of sponsers pulling there money out because of this is a tad lame.The main problem for C10 is they cover to much motor sport to keep an advertiser interested.To look at a ten programe guide for a sunday (in peak season)you can play the spot the non motprsport program game.The ratings points tell us that C10 simply cannot get enough people to sit and watch the idiot box all day on a sunday.Advertisers know this.Until C10 look at this issue the problem will remain.When the AFL season starts in approximatly a monthes time the situation will get worse for motorsport.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 27 Jan 2004 at 22:06.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 01:14 (Ref:853079)   #9
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sponsors have pulled money resulting in the loss of teams due to TV coverage, so why not advertisers (Arai GP5 - your post gave me goosebumps...)
Old 28 Jan 2004, 01:52 (Ref:853088)   #10
Deano
Rookie

Deano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Trev
Ah well, there is always the Procar stuff on 7.
Big Trev

I'm lead to believe that PROCAR are yet to secure coverage for all categories. Not sure how this will wash out, but I've heard that the Utes may not get coverage - not sure about the other categories.

I wonder if the same TARP issues are occurring at C7 as well?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:04 (Ref:853092)   #11
Aircon
Rookie

Aircon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PROCAR's package will be aired on C7 this year as it was last year.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:04 (Ref:853093)   #12
Deano
Rookie

GTR

That post from the RPM producer mentions that there will be an increase in V8 Superstars shows. (or that the "program will be prominent in TEN's motorsport schedule." - am I assuming too much?)

Could this suggest that C10's issues exist around the other forms of motorsport eg Trackside, Formula X-treme, etc.?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:06 (Ref:853095)   #13
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope so, no offence to competitors and fans of those catagories..
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:07 (Ref:853096)   #14
Deano
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Aircon
PROCAR's package will be aired on C7 this year as it was last year.
Aircon - does that include the utes, because it's contrary to what I've heard (I repeat - heard)?

I certainly hope you're right and I'm wrong.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:18 (Ref:853101)   #15
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure Ross Palmer, once he reads this thread, will be able to clarify that "rumour"
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:27 (Ref:853105)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Deano
GTR

That post from the RPM producer mentions that there will be an increase in V8 Superstars shows. (or that the "program will be prominent in TEN's motorsport schedule." - am I assuming too much?)

Could this suggest that C10's issues exist around the other forms of motorsport eg Trackside, Formula X-treme, etc.?
It is entirely possible there will be more Superstars shows, however there is only a limited space in the Ten production schedule, so something must go to accomodate it.

Having a different schedule of coverage for each round is also an issue, with the inconsisten timing of events meaning that there is no regularity to the coverage. That is something AVESCO should be working on, as it attempts to take the series to more and more rounds.

The issue still remains that if the sponsors of the broadcasts arent being satisfied, it is likely that the only sponsors the sport can attract are automotive and engineering businesses... with some retail thrown in.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:31 (Ref:853108)   #17
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That'll be an absolute disaster if the Utes don't get coverage - that's PROCAR's best category.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:46 (Ref:853112)   #18
Deano
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
It is entirely possible there will be more Superstars shows, however there is only a limited space in the Ten production schedule, so something must go to accomodate it.
Exactly. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps SponsorX is entirely happy with the exposure he is getting during the Clipsal 500 et al, as well as V8Superstars (I'm guessing advertising space would be sold at a premium for the first one IF Mark Skaife and Russell Ingall are scheduled), but not so happy the next week when the MGFs are putting around.

So the bigwigs at C10 say "well, we can't increase the number of V8 Supercar rounds, but we can increase the number of V8 Superstars shows, so let's just 86 the Saloon cars, MGs and Aussie legends."

I'm aware that the live audience funding goes to charity, but surely C10 'cover their costs' first, making this option even more attractive.

Just a theory, everyone.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 05:56 (Ref:853183)   #19
Peregrine
Racer

Australia
Emu Plains
Peregrine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the outcome I still reckon that there was some fine alliteration in the title of this thread ! Well done GTR !!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 06:46 (Ref:853212)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Does that mean I could write headlines for AA?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Jan 2004, 06:54 (Ref:853216)   #21
Aircon
Rookie

Aircon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm very sure I'm right about the PROCAR TV. It did come from a pretty good source who ought to know.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 08:55 (Ref:853289)   #22
Ross Palmer
Rookie

Ross Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UTES NO TV. Just another FURPHY.
Why wouldn,t they get tv? It,s one of the most entertaining packages around in motorsport.
Currently replayed in 80 countries throughout the world and with the International BRutes Fan club in the UK getting more popular by the year.
Apart from the free to air expect that they have their own show on FOXSPORTS.
V8 BRutes WILL HAVE TEE VEE THIS YEAR,
I trust this post squashes that FURPHY.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:01 (Ref:853293)   #23
SDR41A
Rookie

SDR41A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Ross, nothing like getting word from the horses mouth! Keep up the great work you are doing and thank you for your paticipation in this forum.

Cheers
Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:04 (Ref:853301)   #24
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont be rude ROSS is NO HORSE !!!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:13 (Ref:853311)   #25
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey ross, will procar be releasing a dvd set of brutes gtp etc from last years season? and any news on what channel we will be watchin procar on this year?