Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should newcomers...
... have to ask who TGF is? 2 11.11%
... get an introductory email explaining this riddle? 6 33.33%
... enter a second Ferrari competition for the most imaginative explanation? 8 44.44%
... something else. 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 May 2001, 20:10 (Ref:88062)   #1
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is TGF

Go on, vote... should there be an introductory email to all new members with the answer to this thrilling question we get every few weeks?

Old 2 May 2001, 20:28 (Ref:88068)   #2
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How very thoughtful of you Carla.
I remember when I first visited the forums you sort of feel out of place or a stranger not understanding what posters are talking about.
On first impressions people might get the wrong idea that it is just the select few welcome.
I say let people now via a indtrductory e-mail
Old 2 May 2001, 20:40 (Ref:88076)   #3
512_BB
Rookie

512_BB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ask or investigate

I found out the TGF meaning by hours upon hours of investigating the previous posts. But of course asking is a great way to give that first post. But the humor of the most imaginative explanation is good. When I first started reading the posts I had the idea that TGF was held so highly that uttering his name was like breaking one of the 10 Commandments. Hence for a brief few minutes I thought that TGF stood for "That God at Ferrari" My impression changed and I soon understood the truth of TGF.
Old 2 May 2001, 20:48 (Ref:88080)   #4
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Re: Ask or investigate

Quote:
Originally posted by 512_BB
Hence for a brief few minutes I thought that TGF stood for "That God at Ferrari" My impression changed and I soon understood the truth of TGF.
heehee I have my own interpretation of TGF... Lovely that Fellow and Ferrari from some interpretations also start with an F!

You can guess what I am thinking about!

C
Old 2 May 2001, 21:20 (Ref:88097)   #5
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a true newbie I did figure out who TGF was... must admit I was hoping for something a bit more derogatory.

I think all newbies should be forced to drive as #2 for Ferrari for a year... harden them up for posting here in the forms.
Old 2 May 2001, 21:22 (Ref:88099)   #6
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed G
I think all newbies should be forced to drive as #2 for Ferrari for a year... harden them up for posting here in the forms.
you will get extra marks for that! heehee
Old 2 May 2001, 21:36 (Ref:88108)   #7
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i vote for... get an introductory email explaining this riddle>

and...i would love know who made the first..tgf post.
Old 3 May 2001, 01:43 (Ref:88176)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula 1 Forum, being a website where various topics are discussed and That German Fellow is the subject of most, including both favourable and unfavourable comments posed by our various esteemed members and Minardifan and AMoffat as well
Old 3 May 2001, 02:24 (Ref:88194)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oddly enough out of all the nicknames that have been proposed on this forum, TGF is the only one that has stuck! However, please feel free to make up acronyms for any and all pilots and we will try to guess who you mean.

It was suggested once that TGF should be explained in the FAQ, but there were some who believed this would not be PC.
Old 3 May 2001, 03:13 (Ref:88208)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was lucky.. first time I went to the F1 forum way back when I joined in March I found it on a thread and was wondering... then I found a post on that thread where somebody had posed the question and been answered..

One thing that could be done is have a thread dedicated to the explanation, then every time somebody went to it to find out they would be required to post so it would remain on the front page. Of course, their post would be obliged to include the explanation... first of all so they won't forget it :blush: and second, so that when the page turns over the explanation will still be there.

As for nicknames, what would you think of The Fencer?

Think back to the eighties...
Old 3 May 2001, 11:44 (Ref:88288)   #11
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Who is TGF

Well that explains TGF, I had been wondering but lacked the initiative to go looking through old threads and didn't want to ask. Seems that every forum - not just the F-1's - has something similar. For example, another F-1 forum constantly refers to TGO which is alot easier to guess.
Old 3 May 2001, 18:27 (Ref:88436)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liz, a few people use "Cranky Mika" and I'm still trying to get "Flavio Flave" to take, but no one's biting. Thankfully, "Boxhead" and "Cubehead" are not in frequent use.
Old 3 May 2001, 18:55 (Ref:88454)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
When I first joined, I assumed TGF was Michael Schumacher (geez, did I just refer to him by his real name?!? ) and just asked what it stood for. I was informed "That German Fellow (or substitute any other F-word"...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 3 May 2001, 19:37 (Ref:88471)   #14
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is rubbish... tgf originally means the german fellow and i donno who was that dumb to put tgf. Michael isnt the only german guy in F1.
Old 5 May 2001, 01:24 (Ref:89109)   #15
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DancingMachine
this is rubbish... tgf originally means the german fellow and i donno who was that dumb to put tgf. Michael isnt the only german guy in F1.
Can we call Ralf TGF2? Or TYGF- that younger German fellow? Or TBOTGF- the bro of that German Fellow? Never mind. I guess Ralf would be easier.
Old 5 May 2001, 01:41 (Ref:89112)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by DancingMachine
DM, of course there are four other German drivers in F1, but without a doubt, (and apologies to Ralf's Girl) Michael Schumacher is the preeminent German driver in F1, (I guess that goes without saying as he is generally acknowledged to be the preeminent Driver, period.) But he is the longest serving driver, his career in the top ranks stretching back through 11 seasons. The expression was coined at a particular time and in the context of its coinage, stuck.

Late in the 1999 season, as Hakkinen and Irvine battled to the wire during Schumacher's enforced sabbatical, Eddie seemed to be having unenthusiastic support from the Scuderia. Waiting in the wings to upset the momentum of the title race-and to perhaps reimpose himself as Team Leader despite being out of the hunt for the WDC and thwarting Swerve's bid, or rather to be the man who could compete on equal footing with Mika and perhaps spur better performances from the Finn- waited That German Fellow.

I've always taken it as a measure of ominous respect, a suggestion that the Absent Ferrari Driver was "He Whose Name Shall Not Be Spoken"
Old 5 May 2001, 01:55 (Ref:89122)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides which he's the one we are usually talking about.

Mika is not so cranky now as he was, and now that Other Mika is not driving, we don't have to worry about who is meant.

But we ought to think up some acronym to distinguish Jacques from Jos.
Old 5 May 2001, 02:05 (Ref:89131)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Can we call Jos "Lyle?"

I liked "Blondie" for Jacques, but honestly, I never really could predict what his hair color would be at any given race.
Old 5 May 2001, 03:00 (Ref:89161)   #19
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fan

It was Liz who coined TGF but she's too modest to claim the credit. I still think she originally had " The Great Fuhrer" in mind but retreated into political correctness.
Old 5 May 2001, 03:24 (Ref:89168)   #20
SH0077
Rookie

SH0077 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One for Ralf!

How about 'GFB' (German Fellow's Brother) for our new GP Winner Ralph Schumacher?