Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:31 (Ref:914978)   #26
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by smooth
I believe that the organisers are seriously considering reverting to the GP track but not entirely because of the incidents at the sweeper. Apparently because of lack of space for corporate boxes.
I heard exactly the same thing last week at a private function last week.

I vote No. 1 Crash.

Not only will it provide more room for spectators, but also will give them a bit of a break down the main straight, which even Skaife mentioned a while back.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:34 (Ref:914984)   #27
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The drivers a break, not the spectators
Old 22 Mar 2004, 21:37 (Ref:915711)   #28
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just completed by home work on turn 8.
I can confirm that if you include the support catagories there wher 18 cars damaged at this corner.

Instead of opening up lets slow it down a fraction, make it say 150kph.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 03:47 (Ref:916019)   #29
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G’day all. Having spent the last week and a bit in and around the Clipsal 500, like many, I haven’t posted for a while. There are numerous issues about running the full GP track that I can think of (feel free to add more):

1. Dollars. If the dollars (from sponsors/government) were forthcoming then I’m sure the full track would be considered again.
2. Infrastructure is another issue. The extra walls need for the GP track are still laying around from the Le Mans race. However, some serious renegotiation with the event’s sub contractors (electrical, rigging etc) would have to take place regarding their capacity to cover the larger area.
3. Joe Public. The problem with running the full track is that more roads are affected, creating more traffic congestion and delays. The usage of the Rundle Road section also means that more parklands are used, closed to the public, temporary buildings, fencing etc going up. The greenies hate this and a few people get stroppy about the disruptions. (Personally I couldn’t give two hoots! If it takes me an extra 10-15 min to get into town during the week leading up, so be it.)
4. Melbourne. If the Clipsal 500 were to take place on the GP track then there is more room available for spectators, corporates and grandstands. This means that the 500 may be able to pull a crowd as big or bigger than the GP. And we wouldn’t what that to happen, would we…..J

Oh, back on the topic, by running the full track you obviously get rid of turn 8 as Brewery Bend has the capacity for much more run off than the sweeper.

(PS – If it does happen, it would be a nice way to celebrate 20 years of street racing in Adelaide. The marketing guys will love that. Imagine getting some former GP winners back in their winning cars, running a few demo laps, Glen Dix waving the flag again etc….it’d be great!)
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:07 (Ref:916025)   #30
The Pressure !!
Racer

Australia
Sydney
The Pressure !! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Flame suit on*

Guys, i have to disagree with all the comments about making a change to turn 8. As a driver and my first time to the Adelaide track, i have to say that it is one of the most exciting corners on the track, probably cause of the danger involved, and putting a chicane in there will take away some of the character of the track, it will also possibly take away some passing opportunities at the braking for turn 9.

And before anyone says something like "what if it was your car that got damaged there?"....well as far as know, i was the first person to crash at turn 8 and hit the wall at about 160+km/h on Thursday morning and i can tell you all right now that i still do not want that corner slowed down.

Thats just my opinion anyway....
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:08 (Ref:916028)   #31
The Pressure !!
Racer

Australia
Sydney
BTW special thanks to the repair crew (MTA?) for repairing the car and having it ready that afternoon again !!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:51 (Ref:916055)   #32
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pressure !!
*Flame suit on*

Guys, i have to disagree with all the comments about making a change to turn 8. As a driver and my first time to the Adelaide track, i have to say that it is one of the most exciting corners on the track, probably cause of the danger involved, and putting a chicane in there will take away some of the character of the track, it will also possibly take away some passing opportunities at the braking for turn 9.

And before anyone says something like "what if it was your car that got damaged there?"....well as far as know, i was the first person to crash at turn 8 and hit the wall at about 160+km/h on Thursday morning and i can tell you all right now that i still do not want that corner slowed down.

Thats just my opinion anyway....
The sounds of common sense echo through out the 10 tenths forum, well said
Old 23 Mar 2004, 05:24 (Ref:916068)   #33
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never questioned Turn 8's potential as possibly one of the greatest corners in motor racing - all I have ever worried about is looking after the driver who has the "balls" to drive that corner flatout AND if you get it wrong, give you a chance to come out of it un-injured.

"The Pressure" - did your telemetry tell you how much the bump/change of contour in or near the apex of Turn 8 affect your car's handling?

Mike
Old 23 Mar 2004, 05:39 (Ref:916074)   #34
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
there is a fine line between 'balls' and 'stupidity', most get it right a few dont
Old 23 Mar 2004, 06:40 (Ref:916089)   #35
The Pressure !!
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally posted by mmciau
I have never questioned Turn 8's potential as possibly one of the greatest corners in motor racing - all I have ever worried about is looking after the driver who has the "balls" to drive that corner flatout AND if you get it wrong, give you a chance to come out of it un-injured.

"The Pressure" - did your telemetry tell you how much the bump/change of contour in or near the apex of Turn 8 affect your car's handling?

Mike
Telemetry ?? Aussie Racing Cars arent allowed any form of telemetry or data logging other than a simple lap timer.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 09:33 (Ref:916192)   #36
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone tell me what prevents there being a decent amount of runoff at the exit to turn 8. I recall from 1985 than brewery bend was similar angle and the terrace had a median strip where the grandstands were.

I suppose the runoff is filled with well-paying grandstands?

1/- Get rid of the guardrail at the apex.

2/- Make the apex kerb to FIA standard (it's in the CAMS TOSG)

3/- Provide exit runoff only (leaves the grandstand looking up the road approaching turn 8).

4/- Don't give the design job for turn 8 2005 to the same turkey to have another go.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 10:22 (Ref:916245)   #37
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems the changes the aparently will take place for the 2005 event are what many people have suggested, and what i have definatelly wanted to happen.

Jason Bright also mentioned on Sports Tonight - that he would like the exit opened up, and put a ripple strip there - which i also think is a good idea.

(Red is the ripple strip)
Attached Thumbnails
sweeper 2005.gif  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 10:40 (Ref:916263)   #38
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good ideas twig but remember that where that wall down the left side is on the exit, will have a kick in it at the end.
Is that a problem I hear you ask? Well maybe you should ask Dick Johnson (Bathurst '83) Mark Skaife (Adelaide '92) and Bargs (Phillip Island '02)
All had wallbangers that were turned into monumental prangs by odd shaped walls...

Here's the exit of the old Brewery Bend, infact this is the kerb that launched Mika's McLaren. If they moved the stands back, there is plenty of room for run-off
Attached Thumbnails
bigger%20corner.jpg  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 11:32 (Ref:916320)   #39
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pressure !!
Telemetry ?? Aussie Racing Cars arent allowed any form of telemetry or data logging other than a simple lap timer.
I was speaking to a certain Aussie Racing Car driver today who particularly enjoyed turn 8. I think the quote was, "it certainly grabs your attention."

I think if you ask the drivers, the vast majority would want the actual corner left the same. The only thing they would probably want to change is the run-off and the inside of the corner.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 21:12 (Ref:917069)   #40
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
If they put "rumble strips" and any other "furniture" (ARMCO acts like a slingshot - conrete doesn't) in the corner, then the cars become unsettled!

If a car is in the air, it will not stop!

The issue of Turn 8 is the wall on the eastern side of Dequtteville Terrace - it is too close to the racing line and does not provide any "run off/recovery" space.

Last edited by mmciau; 23 Mar 2004 at 21:14.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 07:20 (Ref:917465)   #41
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong, but isn't there buildings or trees or something not to far behind the turn 8 wall? This is why they can't move the wall back, and have instead stuffed around trying to improve the inside of the corner.

If they ran the full circuit however, this would not be a problem because there is good space for run-off at Brewery Bend or "Malthouse Corner".

And then they could make the Ford merchandise area in the middle of the track twice as big to cope with the extra sales of being the champion manufactuer.......
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 08:16 (Ref:917522)   #42
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
The current fence line is in the approximate middle of Dequetteville Terrace.

There is virtually a 3 lane plus parking lane roadway behind the wall - there are no grandstands - they are further down the roadway towards Turn 9.

Mike
Old 24 Mar 2004, 08:32 (Ref:917537)   #43
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Average Punter
There seemed to be a lot more room at that turn in those years, although even then a young Mark Skaife was able to put a GTR on it's roof on the exit...
I remember that one - happened in 1990. He got it crossed up going through the turn and slid sideways over the big kerb on outside of the exit, flipping the car over and sending it into the outer barrier upsidedown.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 11:18 (Ref:917705)   #44
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont know why everyone is throwing in the options of changing turn 8 as there us really nothing wrong, thats if you stay on the bit that is designed to be driven on. All those cars that crashed there were the fault of the drivers, not the track.Take the speed and the danger out of the Adelaide layout and you dont have its uniqueness any more. The tunnell at Catalina Park Katoomba was blind for a lot further and I didnt hear Joe public or the drivers the likes of Geoghegan,Jane,Beechey,Allen and co asking that the fence be moved to make it easier to drive around. Only problem with turn 8 is it needs a better drainage system to accomodate the huge run off from the tear ducts of Matt Coleman
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:07 (Ref:917834)   #45
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cav
snip
Only problem with turn 8 is it needs a better drainage system to accomodate the huge run off from the tear ducts of Matt Coleman
Gee, you are really making a good start here aren't you. You obviously race a hugely expensive car, and win all your races without ever damaging your car... NOT
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:19 (Ref:917856)   #46
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Well said Bigguy. Comments like that are unnecessary.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 06:50 (Ref:918776)   #47
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im starting to wonder what forum cav last got kicked from.