Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Mar 2004, 12:28 (Ref:919046)   #1
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The evils of drink

http://www.forum-auto.com/sqlforum/s...ujet167189.htm

And with a little help from http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish (paste the 1st url into the appropriate blank), you too will understand enough to realize that the Frenchmen took a poor view of the mess, especially the DUI. The pictures are `as found'. The rescue crew only picked up the pieces.

I realize that there are probably better translation websites. Please post same on this forum.

Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:05 (Ref:919149)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Interesting! Most of the debate centres around whether it was a real crash or a simulation for road safety publicity purposes.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:34 (Ref:919172)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Dave as I saw this earlier on the Type-R website. If you scroll through the pictures there are no skid marks anywhere and for an accident of that magnitude there should be some pretty scary markings on the forest floor. Notice too that the pine needles at and around the accident scene are also unmoved indicating it's been set up for either a photo shoot or some form of advert.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:43 (Ref:919181)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
If you scroll through the pictures there are no skid marks anywhere and for an accident of that magnitude there should be some pretty scary markings on the forest floor. Notice too that the pine needles at and around the accident scene are also unmoved indicating it's been set up for either a photo shoot or some form of advert.
Other points which have been raised on the French forum are the lack of any sign of spilt fluids & no evidence of broken glass. Maybe simulation was the wrong word - reconstruction would have been a better chice.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 22:52 (Ref:919589)   #5
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it's real. If nothing else, look at the speedo - it's only reading about 60mph. You'd have to be remarkably unfortunate to hit a tree in something solid like an A3 and make that much mess.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 00:23 (Ref:919681)   #6
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
in an accident like that you would (i guess) expect to see a bit of bloood on the seats etc. grim thought
Old 26 Mar 2004, 02:22 (Ref:919748)   #7
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
I don't think it's real. If nothing else, look at the speedo - it's only reading about 60mph. You'd have to be remarkably unfortunate to hit a tree in something solid like an A3 and make that much mess.
i agree it proberbly is but it gets the point across really, but saying that i watched an intresting documentry with tiff nedell (how u spell it) & quiton wilson & it showed you make more mistakes when you drive wen ur tried & tiff (who was ****ed as fart) made no mistakes apart from over shooting breaking points.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 05:06 (Ref:919810)   #8
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so sure it's all fake. Note the dent in the bumper on the back half of the car. Also the trama the car suffered to end up like that was at speed and not torn apart slowly on purpose. Also in the 3rd shot the door and part of the floor molded to the tree, that had to have been done at speed as well. As for the lack of marks on the forest floor: rain maybe or possible all the foot traffic obscured it.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 05:15 (Ref:919814)   #9
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On closer examination, no ignition key, airbag?, tho the lack of fluids could be explained away with heavy rain. Could also have caused crash.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 10:50 (Ref:919960)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ysofast
On closer examination, no ignition key, airbag?,

There is something in the ingnition lock - just the small metal part of the key which would be left after the plastic part is broken off.

I have no problem with the airbag in the steering wheel not having operated. This is designed to protect in a frontal impact, so its sensor will be set up to detect a large longitudinal deceleration. In this instance the car has suffered a very hard lateral impact, so it's very likely that the longitudinal component of its velocity was very small, possibly zero; the longitudinal deceleration was obviously too low to fire the airbag. If you look in the ninth & tenth pictures down you'll see what appears to be a side impact airbag resting on the passenger seat.

I have no doubt that this is the actual crash scene. A few comments for the doubters:

The first sentence in the first post on forum-auto says:

'A young couple was returning from a night-club on a Wednesday morning....whisky, speed & irresponsibility did the rest.' We can assume that the crash occurred in the early hours of the morning; as the photos were taken in daylight, several hours will have elapsed between the crash & the photos.

The speedo reading is irrelevant. The impact appears to have been almost totally sideways & the car may even have been airborne at the moment of impact, so it may have actaully been travelling much faster, the speedo reading just being the result of inertia in the drivetrain.