Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2001, 10:06 (Ref:96419)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2004 may not be the end - Schumacher

Michael Schumacher has revealed he could carry on racing after the end of his Ferrari contract in 2004.
The German yesterday agreed a £35million two-year extension to his current deal that was hailed as marking the end of his days as the greatest driver of his age.

But Schumacher will have sent a chill down to the spine of his rivals by insisting in Monaco he sees no end to his time on the track just yet.

"This is my life - I need racing," admitted Germany's three-time world champion.

"That's why I'm saying I'm not sure I will be finished after 2004. Let's wait and see.

"I was not intending to sign a new contract so early, but there was such a harmonious set of circumstances.

"The team made me an offer and I took the opportunity and now everything is fixed I am very happy about it.

"But this does not mean it will be the end of my career. There will be no problems with motivation for the extra two years.

"It is good to sign the contract, but this kind of thing does not give you a boost on the track.

"That's not being negative but it does not make you go faster as I have always been on the limit."

Schumacher hinted that whether he stays on after 2004 will depend on whether Ferrari retain the services of key people like sporting director Jean Todt and technical director Ross Brawn.

The fact that Frenchman Todt and Manchester-born Brawn signed deals earlier this year that will keep them at the team until 2004 was instrumental in Schumacher agreeing to extend his contract.

Schumacher knows he is now free to concentrate on the defence of the drivers' crown, which he regained for Ferrari after a 21-year absence last season.

The Swiss-based racer heads into Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix, the seventh round of the 17-race season, with a four-point lead over McLaren's David Coulthard.

Schumacher admitted Ferrari will have to be at the top of the their game to fend off the challenge of the 30-year-old Scotsman, who has been singled out as his only title rival.

"McLaren are very strong and if we do not make the maximum out of our opportunity then we will not win, it's as simple as that," added Schumacher, who has won in Monte Carlo four times during his career.

"But we have got no problems with our car and I and Ferrari have traditionally gone well at Monaco so I am looking forward to a good weekend."
Old 25 May 2001, 18:14 (Ref:96571)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think TGF has got AGES in him yet. I cant even see him leaving Ferrari for AGES yet, short of a major bust up or something
Old 25 May 2001, 18:37 (Ref:96590)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Oh dear. He's going to be 35 at the end of 2004...if he carries on beyond that, how competitive is he actually going to be?

And to quote something TGF once said:
"I'll retire sooner rather than later. I don't want to end up like Mansell."
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 25 May 2001, 18:40 (Ref:96591)   #4
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, I think it's enough with that TGF's contract stuff...
Old 25 May 2001, 21:00 (Ref:96627)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "ending up like Mansell" part must be hinting at our Nige's short spell at McLaren in early 95. Don't forget he won the WDC in 92 at the age of 39, and the Indycar championship one year later, when he was 40.

TGF is 32 years old now, if he "emulates" Nigel in that way, he could be around - and competitive - until 2009. OH NO!

I think I'm gonna lie down now...
Old 26 May 2001, 00:39 (Ref:96690)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
It's attitude not age. How old was the great man Fangio when he retired?
Old 26 May 2001, 01:07 (Ref:96698)   #7
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, the longer TGF stays around, the better. It will just give Ralf more oppertunities to kick his srawny little ass. When he does become the better driver of the 2. Which won't be long away.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 26 May 2001 at 01:08.
Old 26 May 2001, 02:00 (Ref:96706)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
It's attitude not age. How old was the great man Fangio when he retired?
Heck, Wrex, he WAS 40 when he won his first WDC!!!!
Old 26 May 2001, 02:16 (Ref:96712)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Heck, Wrex, he WAS 40 when he won his first WDC!!!!
What a legend How old was he when he claimed No.5?
Old 26 May 2001, 12:38 (Ref:96843)   #10
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
46. But TGF can't go on for that long... can he?!?
Old 26 May 2001, 12:45 (Ref:96850)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For all our sakes I hope not.

Old 26 May 2001, 13:12 (Ref:96879)   #12
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a driver named Luigi Fagioli who was a big part of the pre 1950 Formula racing scene. He drove his first modern F1 race then at age 52, and ultimately, started in seven events. He was on the podium six times. I can easily visualize THF continuing until his late thirties or even early forties, providing he is still competitive. Don't count us old geezers out too soon.

Correction: It was eight starts and six podiums including one win. (France 1951)

Last edited by Maxmil; 26 May 2001 at 13:17.
Old 26 May 2001, 18:18 (Ref:96957)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TGF belongs to a different generation than Mansell's. Where the body fitness can give him more years than previous drivers...

In the 70's and 80's, usually a driver's career was about 10 years, with that ending when a driver got around 36 or 38. Now we can expect many drivers going further than that.