Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2001, 16:48 (Ref:99829)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who hate the PRESS ?

Well I do.

Every week I read here on this Forum a joke story not from a member but from the real press. Well I am getting to hate it. everytime it is a bom story there is so fast respons on it because everybody is believing it

I tought that 1 April is long over but it seems not at the Press for me the Press is starting to get a joke.

~~RB~~
Old 1 Jun 2001, 16:54 (Ref:99832)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RB, I'm a great fan of the Jackals myself.

Honestly, the problem is not the press but insiders who spill the beans before the deal is complete. The press are just trying to sell paper or magazines and maybe their fault is that they make rumours seem more plausible than they really are. But WE are at fault as well for being gullible.

Until official statements are made, don't believe a word you read in the papers, and even then question it.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 17:01 (Ref:99841)   #3
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know... as disappointing as it was to find out that the latest "Newey to Jag" rumour was false, I am constantly reminded of the "Schumi injures self playing soccer" story, and of how many on this Forum were taken in by that prize winning load of bull$hit!!

hahahahahahahahahahah

hahahahah

I still laugh thinking about it!!!!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 17:04 (Ref:99842)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone is on microwave time now - wants to be first out with the story - so you get debacles like the US Elections where they "called" the state of Florida about five times before they admitted it was too close to call. If we the public were not so eager to know everything ten minutes before it happens, the press would not spend so much time guessing which way the cat will jump and would wait until they actually knew.

So don't blame the press, blame the public and their "right to know" things that haven't happened yet.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 17:14 (Ref:99855)   #5
garyegrant
Rookie

garyegrant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course you should blame the press. Responsible journalism involves relying on hard facts before breaking a story.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the public wanting fast information in an age where tachnological advance should make this readily possible: they can hardly be blamed when that information turns out to be inaccurate. The press should make the distinction more often between what is speculation, and what is fact.

However, in the Jag/McLaren case, one can hardly blame the press if they get a press release from Jaguar stating that Newey will definitely join. Are they supposed to wait until he walks into his office in Milton Keynes before breaking the story? If a company hands out a press release, they should damn well make sure its 100% true. This seems, looking from the outside, entirely Jaguar's fault.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 18:28 (Ref:99892)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I feel as though I'm in a state of grace.

Because while I love all things to do with four-wheeled motor sport, I don't see F1 as the end-all and be-all of it. So I'm immune from the speculative gossip. As long as the press are accurate on Monday morning when reporting the race (and they usually are), and they hire someone who can do a concise and learned retro piece on the season come October (and they usually do) then I'm happy.

So I don't hate the press, because the press I read is by nature a journal of record and not of speculation. If I have any complaint, it's that the four pages of fluff each week in the Autosport news pages could just as usefully be dedicated to better and more detailed race reports.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 21:15 (Ref:99968)   #7
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i find that if you buy the Autosport, then you get a decent picture of whats going on in F1. it all comes down to what you have heard in the past as to wether to beleive what magasines say. Classic example: the jaguar-mclaren fiasco...i didnt beleive it as i knew that Newey wouldnt go for a job at Jaguar when he is at his most sucsessful and commanding more money than Jaguar could possibly afford for more than 2 seasons