Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Mar 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2653833)   #226
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Alright, I can get technical on this if you insist.

Texas, Charlotte, and Atlanta all have three-piece front stretches (corners all banked at 24 degrees). Joliet (18 degrees), Kansas (15 degrees), and Kentucky (14 degrees) have two-piece front stretches, and Joliet has a curved back stretch. Las Vegas' front stretch has a virtually continuous curve. Las Vegas and Homestead have progressive banking of 18-20 degrees.

Loudon has 12-degree, banked corners. Phoenix is 11 degrees (1 & 2) and 9 degrees (3 & 4), while Milwaukee is just over 9 degrees. Pike's Peak is banked at 10 degrees. Richmond, Nashville, and North Wilkesboro (which I think has been resurrected) all have 14-degree banking. Memphis is banked at 11 degrees. Iowa is banked progressively at 12-14 degrees in the turns. Orlando has corners banked at 10 degress (Turn 1), 8.5 degrees (Turn 2), and 7 degrees (Turn 3).

There are also the two high-banked, 1-mile ovals at Dover and Rockingham, NC, which both have 24-degree, banked corners.

Fontana is banked at 14 degrees and Michigan at 18 degrees. This is a bit ironic, since California actually has the faster lap record. Fontana has a more elongated shape than Michigan. Texas World Speedway is a very similar layout to those two, with corners banked at 22 degrees.

Pocono has its corners banked at 14 degrees (Turn 1), 8 degrees (Turn 2), and 6 degrees (Turn 3).

And just for the heck of it, that oval I mentioned in Argentina, Rafaela, is very elongated in shape, with a length of 2.897 miles, and turns banked at roughly 10-12 degrees, near as I can tell visually.

Happy hunting for your oval wish lists!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 00:40 (Ref:2653875)   #227
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Happy hunting for your oval wish lists!
What about Brooklands? I know it hardly exists, a crying shame and not a true oval but what °s were its banking? Any idea what the banked section of Monza was?
Old 17 Mar 2010, 01:19 (Ref:2653890)   #228
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'll say right now, based on some basic trigonometry, that the Brooklands banking was roughly 18 degrees. This might seem low given the size of the ting, and its height, but remember, the track surface is 100ft wide (for reference, Indianapolis Motor Speedway is only 50ft wide). I'll have to look up Montlhery to let you know on that circuit. Monza has, though not necessarily on purpose, progressive banking. I'm not sure what the inclination at the bottom is, but at the top, the Monza banking has a slope of 80%, or 36.9 degrees. The North Curve, or "Wall of Death" as it came to be known, at AVUS in Berlin, was a brick, banked turn of 43 degrees.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 01:26 (Ref:2653893)   #229
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'll say right now, based on some basic trigonometry, that the Brooklands banking was roughly 18 degrees. This might seem low given the size of the ting, and its height, but remember, the track surface is 100ft wide (for reference, Indianapolis Motor Speedway is only 50ft wide). I'll have to look up Montlhery to let you know on that circuit. Monza has, though not necessarily on purpose, progressive banking. I'm not sure what the inclination at the bottom is, but at the top, the Monza banking has a slope of 80%, or 36.9 degrees.
Thanks. Monza 36.9°, blimey.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 03:51 (Ref:2653930)   #230
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I would love to see Pocono get a run but as you say Jagtech they have to run where they get the best compromise of the biggest crowds, the highest exposure to important markets and the greatest corporate support. A big enough sanctioning fee can negate those three priorities too I guess.
What makes for the best racing isn't the top priority, or our opinions for that matter.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 04:00 (Ref:2653935)   #231
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about this one ?

http://www.vintagespeedway.com/Maroubra.html

Gotta love the people sitting on the track at the top of the bowl and the infield tote boxes !

Safety could be a problem I guess !!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 04:08 (Ref:2653938)   #232
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That's a fantastic piece of history; I bookmarked and will have a good read later.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2654165)   #233
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz2k View Post
I believe Foxboro is the venue rumored. Perhaps in the parking lot around Gillette Stadium.
If that race is confirmed, say goodbye to New Hampshire. That would be terrible, since it's the only short oval which has actually asked for a race. There should be just one street race in the Northeast, and that's Baltimore.

Quote:
the South American swing might be a better deal, and be more interesting, if you paired Sao Paulo up with the oval at Rafaela, Argentina
No way! Rafaela has two very, very open corners and no safety infrastructure for 230mph cars. Perhaps the IndyCar could try the Turismo Carretera layout, with three or four chicanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Chicagoland and Kentucky are shaped a little more like a wankel rotor than a D
They call that "trioval".
Old 17 Mar 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2654172)   #234
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the record, I like diversity in ovals, but do not oppose the 1.5-mile ovals at all

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2654198)   #235
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I like the diversity of Indycar racing, from 1.5 mile ovals to Longbeach to the Indy 500 itself. F1 doesn't have this. It has some classic tracks but there seem to fewer of those compared with a few years ago. I'd really like to see Surfer's back on the IICS schedule.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2654247)   #236
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Putting the chicanes in at Rafaela would defeat the whole point. The point was to have Indy Cars do an oval race in front of the South American crowd. If you insist on the chicanes, they may as well run somewhere like Potrero de los Funes instead.

Perhaps Rafaela could call in whoever did Potrero de los Funes to do the support facility upgrades. Yes, the corners on that oval are quite open, but that's due to the sheer size of the track. The corners have fairly low banking though, and are at the ends of very long straights. Put together a proper superspeedway wing package, and the average and cornering speeds won't be absurd. Rafaela is also plenty wide enough that adding a SAFER barrier around the oval wouldn't cause problems.

As to the argument about spectator numbers, sanction fees, and all that jazz, wouldn't the venues that put on the best racing, even if they initially don't pay the series the most, be the best for getting bums in seats and eyes on the tube in the end?
Old 17 Mar 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2654258)   #237
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I like the diversity of Indycar racing, from 1.5 mile ovals to Longbeach to the Indy 500 itself. F1 doesn't have this. It has some classic tracks but there seem to fewer of those compared with a few years ago. I'd really like to see Surfer's back on the IICS schedule.
I'am 100% agree with you...
Old 17 Mar 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2654270)   #238
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
I'am 100% agree with you...
However, I don't like the fact it's a spec series.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2654304)   #239
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
However, I don't like the fact it's a spec series.
Me too...I hope we will see soon at least some other engine manufacturers, with Honda...
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:17 (Ref:2654632)   #240
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Putting the chicanes in at Rafaela would defeat the whole point. The point was to have Indy Cars do an oval race in front of the South American crowd. If you insist on the chicanes, they may as well run somewhere like Potrero de los Funes instead.

Perhaps Rafaela could call in whoever did Potrero de los Funes to do the support facility upgrades. Yes, the corners on that oval are quite open, but that's due to the sheer size of the track. The corners have fairly low banking though, and are at the ends of very long straights. Put together a proper superspeedway wing package, and the average and cornering speeds won't be absurd. Rafaela is also plenty wide enough that adding a SAFER barrier around the oval wouldn't cause problems.

As to the argument about spectator numbers, sanction fees, and all that jazz, wouldn't the venues that put on the best racing, even if they initially don't pay the series the most, be the best for getting bums in seats and eyes on the tube in the end?
Have you ever had a good look at Rafaela? You'd have to totally rebuild the place from the ground up.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 04:20 (Ref:2654668)   #241
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I really didn't think it looked that bad from the coverage of last year's Turismo Carretera races, especially if the Indy Cars weren't dealing with the surface changes for the chicanes. The track surface actually looks better than Milwaukee did in 1994, and looks on par with how Pocono looks now.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2654688)   #242
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll check back for the detailed pot hole analysis and gradient surveys.

Pocono is a dump, the IICS couldn't draw 30,000 there right now and they'd be bringing home a few cars in ice cube trays.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 07:40 (Ref:2654698)   #243
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure on the state of the circuit but Phakisa Raceway in Welkom, South Africa has a nice multi purpose facility for both oval and race circuit. Would be nice to see indycars there especially since the demise of a1gp.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2654902)   #244
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Jag, the track has been resurfaced within the last handful of years, and the boiler plate walls have long since been replaced by concrete, and are now fronted with SAFER barriers in the turns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11vTGwwyXw

So, Pocono has made quite a few changes for the better this clip; I certainly wouldn't call it a "dump" in its current state.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUs_aaF68qI
Old 18 Mar 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2654934)   #245
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
I'll check back for the detailed pot hole analysis and gradient surveys.

Sorry, carry on.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2654955)   #246
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brett Bodine, Nascar R&D and pace car driver, from July '09:

"Pocono, when it was repaved, was extremely smooth, didn’t have a lot of bumps and had a lot of grip. That track, due to its geographic location has weathered extensively. The surface has lost a lot of grip and has obtained a lot of bumps. So, that correlation between Indianapolis and Pocono, although it’s there because of similarities in the long straightaways and the relatively flat corners, is also starting to hold less and less of that to be true."

The biggest bump that was removed is the pile of cash on the table that accompanies the request, "Will you come race here?"
Old 18 Mar 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2655005)   #247
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Indy Cars can handle some bumps on ovals, so that isn't an inherent problem.

As to who's money is involved in getting to a given venue, sometimes you have to be willing to make an investment, and then work to make that investment worthwhile.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2655019)   #248
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Jag, the track has been resurfaced within the last handful of years, and the boiler plate walls have long since been replaced by concrete, and are now fronted with SAFER barriers in the turns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11vTGwwyXw

So, Pocono has made quite a few changes for the better this clip; I certainly wouldn't call it a "dump" in its current state.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUs_aaF68qI
Judging from those clips Pocono looks good. It would be good to have a tri-oval back in the mix, thus adding to the diversity. I'd also like to see the Milwaukee Mile back.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 18 Mar 2010 at 18:26.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2657664)   #249
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Well Purist, you're making setup choices a bit difficult.

In the F1 thread, you explain that those cars are very pitch sensitive for consistant downforce generation, even though they are flat bottom.

But here, you say that a Nascar driver's description of a bumpy track isn't a problem for an IndyCar at 200 + MPH, even though a significant percentage of their downforce is generated by the tunnels.

You must be a tough guy to select spring rates and build shocks for.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2657855)   #250
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
When you watch, Indy Car suspensions are FAR MORE compliant than those on an F1 car, which is why Indy Cars are better at handling the bumps. Also, the ICS cars don't make F1 levels of downforce, and are decidedly heavier cars (at least when they're empty). So there isn't as much downforce to be lost on an inconsistent surface. The car is better behaved over the bumps, and it should be harder to produce the amount of lift necessary for the cars to blow over.