Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Feb 2005, 04:12 (Ref:1232003)   #226
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry had a couple of Lj's... I believe that he ran his other one at the same meeting that Dick first used the white one which Geary had rolled in 1974... if DJ's car was the 1972 winner, it'd be interesting to hear its history from then to the present day. IIRC it was a quick car, and used to see off any number of the LH's at Surfers and Lakeside.

And while we're on Torana's... what of the Zupp Toranas? Did they end up on the used car lot?
Old 22 Feb 2005, 04:44 (Ref:1232011)   #227
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash, next time you run into Charlie O'Brien ask him where he got his XU.1 from please. I never seem to catch up to Kerry Cox to find out where he got his from but will endeavor to do so.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1232039)   #228
Henry
Veteran

Australia
I have seen it written that Charlie bought a car from DJ... I have seen it written than Dick sold his ex-Eagers car to Barry Wraith... and also that as late as 1984, DJ had an XU1 gathering dust under his mother's house in Mt Gravatt...

Apparently the Eagers car was stripped out to take a V8, but Dick didn't like the car very much so he offloaded it... I know I'm not helping much at all, but it may trigger something among the more knowledgable here...

Last edited by Henry; 22 Feb 2005 at 06:18.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 07:09 (Ref:1232063)   #229
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting: we started with Gr A & Supercars 7 are now discussing Series Production - luv it !!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1232157)   #230
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Also interesting to compare the longevity of each set of reg's
5L/V8 Suoercar... entering its 13th season
Gp.A 8 seasons
Gp.C 12 seasons
How do we classify the Improved Production class? Gp. N? Anyway there were twelve seasons leading up to the introduction of Gp.C

But yes, we have travelled a little further afiled than the topic heading might suggest...
Old 22 Feb 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1232180)   #231
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
Also interesting to compare the longevity of each set of reg's
5L/V8 Suoercar... entering its 13th season
Gp.A 8 seasons
Gp.C 12 seasons
How do we classify the Improved Production class? Gp. N? Anyway there were twelve seasons leading up to the introduction of Gp.C
Every year is closer to it ending.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1232199)   #232
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Every year is closer to it ending.
As it is with all of us

Still enjoy it while it lasts...
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1232225)   #233
Road Ranger Vk
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Road Ranger Vk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Janson's A9X

Hello all,

I know peter janson ran the 77 bathurst in a A9X hatback with larry, not sure of where it finished , if at all. and that they came 2nd in 79 with a car that was built for that year and now is for sale on the muscle car sales site, my question is...

Did janson run in 1978
If so who co drove
is this the same car as the 77 car and if so does any one know where it it is
just doing some family history on this topic.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1232237)   #234
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Improved Production is a current class. Do you mean Series Production or Improved Touring?
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1232246)   #235
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Falc, Imp prod was used in the earlier years of ATCC, we are lucky enough to use the name now on our fantastic class, you know the one where you can engineer a car, Hey David P and MtPanorama (Shane)
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1232248)   #236
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst A9X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ranger Vk
Hello all,

I know peter janson ran the 77 bathurst in a A9X hatback with larry, not sure of where it finished , if at all. and that they came 2nd in 79 with a car that was built for that year and now is for sale on the muscle car sales site, my question is...

Did janson run in 1978
If so who co drove
is this the same car as the 77 car and if so does any one know where it it is
just doing some family history on this topic.

Wasn't the 78 Jansen car badly damaged, restored, sold to New Zealand (Douglas Anderson?), and resold back to Australia in road trim a few months ago? I believe all the race bits went into the 79 car.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1232257)   #237
Road Ranger Vk
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Road Ranger Vk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats what i was let to believe, as I can remember a family member of mine owning the car whilst in road car trim , still had full running gear , where the dissagrement come in to it I was told that it was the 79 car, how ever Im now 15 years after the event led to believe it was in fact the 77 car. if so im wondering if the car is still around and kicking.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1232261)   #238
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys I need help. It would appear as though my M3 went from JPS to Trevor Crowe/Inky Tulloch, Cardinal Networking car 53 at Bathurst 88, can anyone send me some photos of this car please?
Regards
David
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1232273)   #239
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Falc, Imp prod was used in the earlier years of ATCC, we are lucky enough to use the name now on our fantastic class, you know the one where you can engineer a car, Hey David P and MtPanorama (Shane)
rdm: I had thought the name was Improved Touring. Wasn;t the original ATCC category Appendix J?
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1232275)   #240
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Yep but further rule changes progressed it to Improved Production, hence the Super Roo falcon and Moffs and Janes madly awesome cars!!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1232281)   #241
Henry
Veteran

Australia
I find it miraculous that there are still a goodly number of the old Improved Production (Flac, I was certain that this was how they categorised the likes of Geoghegan's Mustangs etc) cars still in existence. Let alone the number of Gp. C's now coming out to play.

I have never been sure of how long App. J was king, or when it became Improved Production
Old 22 Feb 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1232292)   #242
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Wasnt it 72 that the eased rules started?

I might have a look at some books to try and help work it out.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1232308)   #243
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Between 72 & 73 seasons was the transition point into merged ATCC/Bathurst regs.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1232309)   #244
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1973 the rules were changed, mainly to stop the Manufacturers from building High performance cars! That was the beginning of the Gp C era!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1232322)   #245
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression we ran Appendix J (although the exact regulations in Appendix J were modified over the years) until the end of 1964 (ie...the 1960 - 1964 ATCC races were run to Appendix J), then from 1965 - 1972 the class of car was called 'Improved Touring'.

Appendix J running until the end of 1964 sounds right, only because when Appendix J racing (or Group N or Historic Touring Cars nowadays) was restarted back in 1981, the only eligible cars were those which were homologated and ran in Appendix J (The Mustangs never ran in Australia, but were allowed to compete because they raced overseas).
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1232752)   #246
White Knight

Quote:
Appendix J running until the end of 1964 sounds right, only because when Appendix J racing (or Group N or Historic Touring Cars nowadays) was restarted back in 1981, the only eligible cars were those which were homologated and ran in Appendix J (The Mustangs never ran in Australia, but were allowed to compete because they raced overseas).
Any touring car of a model built prior to 1965 that raced anywhere in the world - thats why Mustangs, Falcon Sprints, the Plymouth Barracuda even a Ramcharger (if you could ever pull it up) are eligible. In current Group Nb, they have to run Appendix J rules with some minor allowances such as Mini K blocks for Coopers and slippery diffs for EH Holdens (but not the three and a half litre engines).

Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1232968)   #247
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Hi Guys I need help. It would appear as though my M3 went from JPS to Trevor Crowe/Inky Tulloch, Cardinal Networking car 53 at Bathurst 88, can anyone send me some photos of this car please?
Regards
David
David, if that's the case, your car is even more exciting. Jim Richards co drove this car with Crowe at the 1987 Wellington street race (the second one). This was the year there were two Welly street races. One in January, one later in the year, which was a round of the WTCC. Richards drove it at the WTCC round.

Richards astonished everyone by qualifying your car in sixth, easily the highest qualifying of the Australiasian teams, and in amongst the Eggenberger Sierras, and beaten by only a couple of the works M3's. People were amazed because the car was (I believe) privately run, plus not supposed to be as quick as the works teams.

Many were a little suprised when Tony Longhurst got chosen to drive one of the works M3's, and Richards didn't, and I guess this was how he got their attention.

As it happened, the car only lasted a few laps of the race. Can you tell me if one of the later owners was John Sorensen? If so, I have a pic of the car when he had it, but I can't find any of when Crowe ran it, which I'm suprised by, as I thought it was the best looking car on the local GpA scene, when it was painted a very attractive dark metalic blue.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1233374)   #248
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Steve but unfortunately the car I refered too is not my car. The photo I had sent to me shows an air jack behind the rear wheels, mine are not. I'm now at a bit of a quandry as the ownership trail gets a little cloudy.
The two facts I know are it is the car that Jim drove at Lakeside ATCC round and the car that Craig Turner smashed at Forest's Elbow (it still has the damage to the floor pan where the wheel was pushed back into it). I know Sax owned it but they bought 2 ex JPS cars a year apart, then mine went to Kiwi Motorsport (Spurle/Sharpe), then AFE Racing (Alan Cattle), then Trevor Bills (collector only), then Kevin Underwood (collector only), then Jim Searley (collector only) then me.
My problem is finding out if there was anyone between JPS and Sax. I'm awaiting a reply from John Sax at the moment which will shed some light. Meanwhile I'll keep looking. I don't have a large collection of ATCC books or a memory like you guys so I really appreciate the help all of you are giving.
Cheers
David
Old 23 Feb 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1233394)   #249
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody scene a list of 'Group A' cars that are going to do the Demonstration Laps at the Clipsal
Old 23 Feb 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1233397)   #250
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this may be the course of events; Your car was used by Jim (and possibly Tony as well, I'll check the review tape. I'm looking for the car with the bonnet pins in from the edge, not on the edge, right?) at various ATCC and AMSCAR events in early 1987. This car was sold to John Sax and resprayed in red/black/yellow, whilst the other early-season JPS car (the one eventually used by Finauer?) went to Crowe and was painted a dark metallic blue. The Sax car was used at the Calder 300, Oran Park 250 and Sandown 500 enduros before being shipped back to NZ, whilst the Crowe car did the Amaroo, Sandown and Bathurst enduros. Both cars ran in the Wellington and Pukekohe enduros and Crowe used his car to take the NZTCC that summer (not sure if Sax ran in the championship, results are difficult to come by).

The cars appeared at Bathurst in 1988 in the same liverys (the Crowe car would finish 4th) before they went back to NZ. Before they came out for Bathurst in 1989, the Crowe car went to John Sax and was resprayed in the same colours as the other car.

Last edited by William Dale Jr; 23 Feb 2005 at 11:27.