Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Sep 2023, 10:14 (Ref:4178607)   #226
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That may well be the case but the ticket pricing puts people off going - so would they'd be better off charging £25 a ticket and getting 1000 people than charging £43 and getting 100 people (numbers purely for simplicity of maths). Is it a case of by charging more they actually receive less? £43 for a day ticket is definitely in "not a chance" territory for me.

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. However, I think that Silverstone, like so many businesses, is run by fairly conservative (not political) accountants nowadays and that's not how they think.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 11:00 (Ref:4178614)   #227
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
The problem with lots of series is they are stagnant. The format has been the same for years the circuits don't change the cars are staying the same because of cost of development of a new one. Other than introducing a silly hybrid thing rgs have been the same for quite a few years and don't look like changing anytime soon.

I think it needs mixing up a bit and circuits are a way of doing that, the majority of spectators are on TV so why not use Silverstone GP, Silverstone International as a new layout. I know trackside spectating is not as good maybe as the national but when is Silverstone ever good to spectate at.
Then Anglesey with limited ticket sales as access is an issue but the circuits good and not one thats been used, same with Pembrey. Facilities are limited at both but teams can cater for that and its not like they aren't used to running out of awnings with Thruxton and Knockhill.
Anglesey and Pembrey don't have big enough paddocks, so even if the access was improved, they still couldn't host a BTCC meeting. Arguably they both have better facilities than Croft, but there just isn't space.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 11:17 (Ref:4178615)   #228
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I’m searching here in retrospect so apologies if these figures aren’t correct, but Donington appeared to be charging £38 for basic entry this year on Sunday… I think that’s still too much. The problem is that almost every year the price has gone up £1-2 and I just don’t think that level of inflation is sustainable.

I liken it somewhat to going to the cinema, back in the early 2000s I was able to get a ticket for £1.95 at my local multiplex, now it seems unless you use a voucher they want £12-15. No wonder cinemas are on their arse.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 11:28 (Ref:4178618)   #229
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
No wonder cinemas are on their arse.
Except they are not anymore. 2020-2022 was an extremely difficult period for pretty much every public business, but cinemas this year have done very well. 8 films have already grossed over $500m for the year, "Barbenheimer" has made $2.5bn worldwide alone at this point.

There are problems in the industry at the moment, not least the various US-led strikes that are putting the majority of content on hold currently which is going to severely hurt cinema takings over the next 6-12 months, but ticket price doesn't appear to be one of them.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 11:35 (Ref:4178619)   #230
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Except they are not anymore. 2020-2022 was an extremely difficult period for pretty much every public business, but cinemas this year have done very well. 8 films have already grossed over $500m for the year, "Barbenheimer" has made $2.5bn worldwide alone at this point.

There are problems in the industry at the moment, not least the various US-led strikes that are putting the majority of content on hold currently which is going to severely hurt cinema takings over the next 6-12 months, but ticket price doesn't appear to be one of them.
OK I dont mean to derail the topic, but are Cineworld still in administration? I'm not sure, but I heard that Odeon are also closing cinemas. Its certainly not like it was 20+ years ago when you struggled to get a seat to see a film at peak times.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 11:41 (Ref:4178620)   #231
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...stay/10526322/

Excerl8 denies they’ll be running 6 cars next year, although are open to customer teams: “Excelr8 are definitely not going to be going up to six cars, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be involved with six cars.”

I thought Ingram (and Chilton) were effectively already confirmed on a long-term deal, seems that’s not the case.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 11:45 (Ref:4178621)   #232
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its certainly not like it was 20+ years ago when you struggled to get a seat to see a film at peak times.
Big releases are. But I think what helps in that regard is that there is huge capacity these days at out of town cinema multiplex's - with screenings from Midday to 2am in the morning, rather than everyone rushing out to the same opening night performance in decades past.

Things are a bit different in the US, where a lot of the "death of the cinema" narrative originates from. Many of their films now released on streaming the same day as the cinema, which, combined with the larger georgraphic dispersion of the US population meaning much longer travelling times to cinemas, has had a substantial impact on box office there.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 11:48 (Ref:4178622)   #233
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In don't think the Silverstone Arena layout is the right answer, it's a mile longer than the typical Oulton Park meeting and (ignoring the fact that the maths isn't quite right) it'd be a 2 minute lap for the faster cars.

I honestly think it would make it worse.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 12:19 (Ref:4178632)   #234
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. However, I think that Silverstone, like so many businesses, is run by fairly conservative (not political) accountants nowadays and that's not how they think.
The thought strikes me that although a lower ticket price may bring more people in, and therefore an overall greater gate receipt; there is a larger cost of having a larger number of spectators.

For example, more grandstands would need to be opened. These would, of course, need to have stewards in them. In addition, there would need to be a larger number of things such as toilets, maintenance staff, etc. The costs of these could potentially more than offset the increase in the ticket revenue.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 12:42 (Ref:4178633)   #235
Matt_123
Rookie

Matt_123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...stay/10526322/

Excerl8 denies they’ll be running 6 cars next year, although are open to customer teams: “Excelr8 are definitely not going to be going up to six cars, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be involved with six cars.”

I thought Ingram (and Chilton) were effectively already confirmed on a long-term deal, seems that’s not the case.
Maybe moffat and his 2 tbls could 'ask for help' - if One Motorsport doesnt come back next year
Old 28 Sep 2023, 12:56 (Ref:4178636)   #236
Matt_123
Rookie

Matt_123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for Excelr8 offering to help with other teams cars - i can see Aiden Moffat using his 2 TBLs to 'ask for help' if One Motorsport can't continue next year.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 15:11 (Ref:4178657)   #237
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If there was any doubt, apparent confirmation that Speedworks will continue with Toyota next year.

https://x.com/speedworksms/status/17...T11pmdgnSSDQzA
Old 28 Sep 2023, 15:46 (Ref:4178660)   #238
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I get the feeling next year could be a very different season, with a very interesting grid.

I can also see the grid growing fractionally from this year.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 15:59 (Ref:4178661)   #239
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://spotify.link/zxsAQjcVsDb

Steve Dudman talking here about plans for preseason 2024. So contrasts with rumours about One Motorsport disappearing for next season.

As far as I’m aware Dudman owns 5 or 6 FK8 Civics.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 16:55 (Ref:4178665)   #240
Jay87
Rookie

Jay87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
https://spotify.link/zxsAQjcVsDb

Steve Dudman talking here about plans for preseason 2024. So contrasts with rumours about One Motorsport disappearing for next season.

As far as I’m aware Dudman owns 5 or 6 FK8 Civics.
Great to hear. Did anyone notice team hard were selling one of their trailers/ transporters could just be an old one but could suggest downsizing
Old 28 Sep 2023, 17:02 (Ref:4178668)   #241
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Possibly One Motorsport disappears to be replaced by BTC Racing?
Old 28 Sep 2023, 17:05 (Ref:4178669)   #242
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay87 View Post
Great to hear. Did anyone notice team hard were selling one of their trailers/ transporters could just be an old one but could suggest downsizing

This was discussed a couple of weeks ago, as well as for the fact that HARD's ownership changed hands for a few days before reverting to the Gilhams. They have also been borrowing substantial sums using a lot of their cars and equipment as collateral.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 17:51 (Ref:4178673)   #243
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Wow, ticket prices for Silverstone were £43 for Sunday entry. Way way too high. That’s more than a Premier League ticket for my local clubs. These things should be £25-30 tops.
It's a few years since I have been to a BTCC round. When I was attending pretty much every round back in the mid-2000's I was paying around £30 - £35 for the full weekend entry (Just looking at Brands for next weekend it £45 for the full weekend) so I still think the BTCC is good value for money for a weekends entertainment.

It is when you compare it to going to a football match. I have just look at the ticket prices a for my team Sheffield Wednesday next home game and the cheapest ticket is £34. Now I no in both cases there petrol, food and possible accommodation to take into account.

I know which is the better value for money in my view.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 18:16 (Ref:4178675)   #244
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were a few updates to the provisional 2024 BTCC support series lineup and calendar over the past couple of weeks.

In brief:
  • The Mini Challenge JCWs will be joined on track by a new lower-spec car
  • The Porsche Carrera Cup GB is introducing ABS (for Ams only) in a bid to attract Amateur drivers
  • The Porsche Sprint Challenge GB is introducing the 718 Cayman GT4 RS to run alongside the current 718 Cayman Clubsport. The RS has an additional 75 bhp and very different aero, and is expected to set laptimes in the middle of the 992.1 Carrera Cup cars and the old 718 Cayman Clubsport. Next year will also have 4 classes - RS Pro, RS Am, Clubsport Pro, Clubsport Am.
  • The Caterham Seven Championship UK is confirmed for the Oulton Park meeting

Provisional 2024 support roster

Donington 27/28 April = British F4, MINI JCW, Porsche Carrera Cup GB, T.B.A. [Radicals or Legends?]

Brands Hatch Indy 11/12 May = British F4, MINI JCW, PCCGB, T.B.A. [Legends?]

Snetterton 25/26 May = British F4, MINI JCW, Porsche Sprint Challenge GB, T.B.A. [Radicals?]

Thruxton 8/9 June = British F4, MINI Trophy, PCCGB, T.B.A. [Mini Se7ens/Miglias?]

Oulton Park 22/23 June = British F4, MINI JCW, Porsche Sprint Challenge GB, Caterham Seven Championship UK

Croft 27/28 July = British F4, MINI JCW, PCCGB, Porsche Sprint Challenge GB

Knockhill 10/11 August = British F4, MINI JCW, PCCGB, T.B.A. [Legends?]

Donington GP 24/25 August = British F4, MINI Trophy, PCCGB, Porsche Sprint Challenge GB

Silverstone National 21/22 September = British F4, MINI Trophy, PCCGB, Porsche Sprint Challenge GB

Brands Hatch GP 5/6 October = British F4, MINI JCW, PCCGB, Porsche Sprint Challenge GB
Old 28 Sep 2023, 19:22 (Ref:4178686)   #245
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another point on the ticketing, at any of the MSV run circuits the various 4 wheel season tickets included free access to the BTCC for around £200-£230. Silverstone's equivalent Racing Club pass is £150 this year and only allows you to buy a BTCC ticket with 50% off.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 08:13 (Ref:4178735)   #246
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn’t their clubhouse get knocked down?
Old 29 Sep 2023, 08:48 (Ref:4178737)   #247
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
It's a few years since I have been to a BTCC round. When I was attending pretty much every round back in the mid-2000's I was paying around £30 - £35 for the full weekend entry (Just looking at Brands for next weekend it £45 for the full weekend) so I still think the BTCC is good value for money for a weekends entertainment.

It is when you compare it to going to a football match. I have just look at the ticket prices a for my team Sheffield Wednesday next home game and the cheapest ticket is £34. Now I no in both cases there petrol, food and possible accommodation to take into account.

I know which is the better value for money in my view.
I hear what you are saying, however people have been complaining about the higher tier football ticket prices for a decade or more now. One thing about the BTCC that has always been good (until now?) is that it was always affordable. Yea you can of course use the argument that 30 odd quid only gets you 90 mins of entertainment and the same money can get you a days entertainment, but I am not sure the BTCC has the same tribal pull as football, hence the apparent drop off in spectators.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 09:03 (Ref:4178739)   #248
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hear what you are saying, however people have been complaining about the higher tier football ticket prices for a decade or more now. One thing about the BTCC that has always been good (until now?) is that it was always affordable. Yea you can of course use the argument that 30 odd quid only gets you 90 mins of entertainment and the same money can get you a days entertainment, but I am not sure the BTCC has the same tribal pull as football, hence the apparent drop off in spectators.
Or could it be that Silverstone is a very average day out. It starts with parking miles away - despite lots of space inside - rude staff at the gates, having to walk huge distances , most Grandstands locked, overpriced food, poor viewing points, cars a spec in the distance , often poor racing - what ever happened to FF1600 “Silverstone finishes”. I could go on….
Old 29 Sep 2023, 10:32 (Ref:4178741)   #249
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
And presumably that’s not including fuel, food and drink, anything like the pit lane passes, grandstand seats, and assuming you’re going on your own…
Indeed, programmes are 5 quid alone now. Its on average a £60-70 day out once you've got in the gate. Per person. Which I don't feel is too unreasonable for 10ish hours of stuff to see/do/watch. 8am to 6pm.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 11:08 (Ref:4178745)   #250
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
Indeed, programmes are 5 quid alone now
To be fair, BTCC programmes haven't gone up much over the years. The first BTCC meetings I attended (very early 2000s), programmes were typically £4-£5.