Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Closed Thread

Old 19 Sep 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1101326)   #226
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if you watched the moving documentry on the brazilian on speed sunday on the tragic aniversary. It showed what the money goes to, helping poor young brazilian kids get into sports.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1101327)   #227
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep....it's on the Star Named Senna video.

Sadly, Ayrton never got to see it flourish.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1101329)   #228
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Craig.....there is a Senna Toleman in 1:18 out soon, don't know if you are aware. The FFord and Brabham are 1:43, as well as a McLaren lamborghini testcar which is due shortly also.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1101331)   #229
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's sad really, it brings tears to eyes, if only he got to see it flourish.

Last edited by luke; 19 Sep 2004 at 19:43.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 20:00 (Ref:1101352)   #230
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
My favouite car of my collection would have to the 1987 Lotus when I opened it up Christmas 2002 I couldn't belive my eyes!
Old 19 Sep 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1101353)   #231
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
But then again for my birthday 2002 (December 21st) I opened the 1986 Lotus and I also couldn't belive my eyes!
Old 19 Sep 2004, 20:03 (Ref:1101355)   #232
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

My faves are my two Kimi first win cars......because of their value and significance. look great too.

In terms of looks, then I love all the Rothmans Williams and the Lotus 97T with its JPS livery and wet tyres.Mmmm....lovely.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1101358)   #233
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
At the TSF1 in spring a couple of times this year I looked at the Kimi first win and I liked it a lot but it still didn't perswade me to buy it, insead I opted for the Fisi first win it's a stunner well worth the £60.

Damon one of the guys in the shop told me it came with part of the original boad underneth presented as a block is that true?
Old 19 Sep 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1101366)   #234
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The mattel version comes with part of the underplank, supposedly from the actual car i think.

I'll wait for the Minichamps version, 20 quid cheaper!
Old 20 Sep 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1101682)   #235
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allegedly, it's a piece from the actual race winning car yep. My only problem with this is that the piece measures about 3cm x 2cm and the model was "limited" to about 10,000 examples. Last time I checked them planks weren't that big!
Old 20 Sep 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1102144)   #236
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
It's good that Minardi's are now made in 1:18 scale now!
Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:07 (Ref:1102236)   #237
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Allegedly, it's a piece from the actual race winning car yep. My only problem with this is that the piece measures about 3cm x 2cm and the model was "limited" to about 10,000 examples. Last time I checked them planks weren't that big!
3cm x 2cm? 10, 000 pieces?

Christ..........no wonder the Jordan was so slow last year.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1102258)   #238
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Knowlesly, what car have you got your eyes on lately to by then?

Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:36 (Ref:1102266)   #239
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Err......the same car!

But without the chunk of wood from B&Q.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1102270)   #240
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England

Have you bothered looking at the Mattel version. Anyway what's the difference apart from the wooden object from B&Q.

Last edited by luke; 20 Sep 2004 at 18:41.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 07:54 (Ref:1102662)   #241
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

We shall see.

The suspension and tyres for a start.....
Old 21 Sep 2004, 08:26 (Ref:1102682)   #242
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a Minichamps which means it'll look right for a start!
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1102961)   #243
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
To be honest In my opinon there is nothing wrong with the mattel version.

Knowlesy have you acturly seen the Mattel version I can't see how Minichamps can better it.

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/DieC...dan_2003Season(DieCast)/DC2311MB%28GPL%5FBaseCatalog%29/DieCast.htm

Last edited by luke; 21 Sep 2004 at 15:29.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1103251)   #244
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, I have seen the Mattel version. There are reasons I haven't bought it.

At the risk of sounding childish, I'll list the faults.

Nitpicking warning!

Err, right....

It costs twenty pounds more then the Minichamps version.(or it did)

It suffers classic Mattel errors, such as stupidly shaped shiny tyres 9although they are inters, so shiny is OK), rear tyres too small, lack of fine details to suspension, cheap materials, join lines like the Grand Canyon, inaccurate wing endplates etc.....

Take a look at the drivers helmet........it is poorly modelled and painted.

The livery, although basically correct, is inaccurately scaled.

Look at the huge blobs of plastic joining the bargeboards to the chassis!

The dirt effect is badly applied.

And the box is horrible....it lacks any sort of class. It is packaged like a toy and would look out of place on my shelf. It takes the emphasis from the car......is this a Mattel ploy to remove attention from their weak detailing?

The same goes for the base.

In Mattels defence, the block of wood is a fine idea. But it has been implemented badly and in too high numbers to seem realistic (???) so they've messed up again.

I await Minichamps' version with bated breath.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1103255)   #245
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Honestly luke, it is unreal how superior Minichamps are. if you ever get a chance to put a Renault R23 from Mattel and Minichamps side by side, in the same scale you will notice the difference.

I had a Mattel ferrari F2000 and was pleased with it initially. The exhausts were ****, but still......

But then I looked at pictures and realised just how inaccurate Mattels models are....and the F2000 is one of the better models from mattel.

Don't get me started on the shade of green they use on the jags for gods sake!
Old 21 Sep 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1103350)   #246
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mattel are at least closer to minichamps quality wise than onyx used to be. i could probably make models without knowing the cars dimensions that would be better than onyx used to make.
mindyou, that first year of mattel models, i think it was 1999, was attrocious especially the quality of plastic they used for the wings.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1103438)   #247
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i can only speak for 1/43 motorsport as that is what i collect (somewhere over 500 cars now, i've lost count), but MATTEL has come a long way since their first ferrari offerings in 98/99, but they are STILL not of MINICHAMPS quality and the only reason that i buy "coldwheels" is for the f1 ferraris since MINICHAMPS lost the rights to produce them....
Old 22 Sep 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1103938)   #248
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I wondered why the 2000 1:18 MS ferrari is avalible for less than £15.

At first I fought it was a bargin but now, it dosn't even seem worthy of the price!

Last edited by luke; 22 Sep 2004 at 15:20.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1103956)   #249
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich R
mattel are at least closer to minichamps quality wise than onyx used to be. i could probably make models without knowing the cars dimensions that would be better than onyx used to make.
mindyou, that first year of mattel models, i think it was 1999, was attrocious especially the quality of plastic they used for the wings.
Oh yes, absolutely. Onyx were pretty shabby. But they did have an eye for a peculiar detail, and when making race specific car everything was present and correct, if a little cheap looking.

They even had wooden planks on the bottom of the cars.

But I'd agree, on the whole, Mattel are better than Onyx ever were. Imagine an Onyx version of a complex 2004 car!

1999 was the worst year for Mattel, agreed, and they have come on a lot since then. You got the impression they never even looked at the real cars.......the Ferrari, Jordan and Williams had totally fictional liveries, and the car shapes were horrendous. The materials were bad and the helmets were awful.....did you ever see the Michael Schumacher helmet they did on the 1:18 car? Shocking. And the exhausts on the F399!

But Mattel have come on, but where they have improved, minichamps have taken great strides forward, and they continue to do so every year which is incredible.

I'm sure in 2015 Mattel will be on a level with Minichamps' 2001 models. But by then they'll only have the Ferrari license.

And on a Ferrari note, i just ordered myself a BBR Ferrari today, the F2004 Indy winner model in 1:43. 135 quid, but should be worth every penny. I'll only order one of these per year (I hope!).
Old 22 Sep 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1104021)   #250
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Agreed Minichamps are superia I only have to look at the JB last ever Bennetton and it's encredible.