Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Jun 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2218153)   #226
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmmm, yes please see if you can find those pics VIVA! In my opinion that livery (Marlboro crossed with Ford RS 'diagonals') was one of the finest ever on these cars.

KA, you could be right about it being at the TT although I can't remember a Marlboro liveried car. My memory isn't great however as it was tonking it down and I struggled to maintain interest!!!! I reckon if it raced, it wasn't Dayglo and White, maybe plain white.....

I wonder if anyone's got any shots of the livery that the car entered/raced at the TT in?
Old 3 Jun 2008, 07:09 (Ref:2218357)   #227
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Hmmm, yes please see if you can find those pics VIVA! In my opinion that livery (Marlboro crossed with Ford RS 'diagonals') was one of the finest ever on these cars.

KA, you could be right about it being at the TT although I can't remember a Marlboro liveried car. My memory isn't great however as it was tonking it down and I struggled to maintain interest!!!! I reckon if it raced, it wasn't Dayglo and White, maybe plain white.....

I wonder if anyone's got any shots of the livery that the car entered/raced at the TT in?
Bolderhey and Kalff are definitely listed in the results on the ETC history site- listed as a DNF. I don't remember a Marlboro car either, but it was 20-odd years ago, and like you I was probably more interested in a vain attempt to keep dry....
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2218673)   #228
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess everyone here read the Autosport article about Rouse but i'll post the fact's relevent to this thread in case anyone did'nt read it.

ARE built 30 RS500's and over 180 engines. not sure if that includes "kits".
Old 3 Jun 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2218802)   #229
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger_racer
I guess everyone here read the Autosport article about Rouse but i'll post the fact's relevent to this thread in case anyone did'nt read it.

ARE built 30 RS500's and over 180 engines. not sure if that includes "kits".
Not relevant to this forum, but it also showed a workshop picture with two XR4Ti's, one in ICS the other in Radiopaging colours (well, black & white).
Old 5 Jun 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2220819)   #230
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
Not relevant to this forum, but it also showed a workshop picture with two XR4Ti's, one in ICS the other in Radiopaging colours (well, black & white).
That pic would have been 1985 then- the second 'Radiopaging' car appeared at the GP supports and the TT
Old 5 Jun 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2220841)   #231
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMc
Not directly on topic, but, on my way home from Portsmouth on Wednesday evening, I passed a Labatts BTCC RS500 on the back of a trailer (it was, not me ).

Not sure if it was the real deal as it was heading the other way on the other side of the A3 and the closing speed was around 140 MPH, but it looked the business.

Ta
Steve
your eyes were not deceiving you steve that would have been one of martinlabatts RS500 sierras comming back from "STIG" duty at dunsfold he took the ex harvey car and the ex bristow car there for a bit of filming....
Old 6 Jun 2008, 03:04 (Ref:2220953)   #232
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwoody
your eyes were not deceiving you steve that would have been one of martinlabatts RS500 sierras comming back from "STIG" duty at dunsfold he took the ex harvey car and the ex bristow car there for a bit of filming....
OK, if the Stig tested a Group A RS500, that's an episode I have to see.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 05:53 (Ref:2221006)   #233
KA
Veteran

I've been digging through my old pics again and found these- quality isn't up to much, but hopefully they're at least recognisable....Though they were worth posting as they include a couple of the lesser-known cars.
They're mostly from the Donington BTCC round in September 1988, which featured one of the Rouse v Soper duels that were a highlight of the season when the Eggenberger car appeared- on this occasion, a couple of weeks after his TT win, Rouse won.

It's also notable for one of the early appearances of Chris Hodgetts' Brooklyn car- think it debuted at the abandoned Birmingham race, the previous round, and Chris had it going very well in it's first race- finishing 3rd from 6th on the grid, after being very involved in the Rouse/Soper battle in the early laps .

The other pic is Mike Newman's Graham Goode-prepared car, running in his regular Burlington Wallcoverings colours- in later seasons it would share the Listerine backing of Goode's car. Mike finished 4th here.
Attached Thumbnails
newman don 88.jpg   soper hodgetts.jpg  

Last edited by KA; 6 Jun 2008 at 05:57.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 06:05 (Ref:2221007)   #234
KA
Veteran

Two more- Graham Hathaway's yellow Soans Ford Dealers car on the way to finishing 8th (I'll see if I've got a better pic of that one anywhere) and Tim Harvey's Terry Drury car- I think on it's way back to the pits- a DNF. The Harvey car started the season with very little sponsorship as I remember, before longtime backer Istel came on board mid-season
Attached Thumbnails
hathaway don 88.jpg   harvey.jpg  
Old 6 Jun 2008, 06:17 (Ref:2221013)   #235
KA
Veteran

To round off, a couple of lesser-known cars, one from the same Donington meeting, the other from Brands a couple of years later.

First one is the ECM Vehicle Delivery RS500 which appeared in some of the later rounds shared by Tom Bell and Ray MacDowall- this time it's MacDowall, battling with Mark Hales' MIL Supra- they finished 17th and 18th. Bell and MacDowall also appeared in several Thundersaloon races with the car, and in club racing- the car was actually street-legal, the front number plate might just be visible in the pic....

The other is another pic of a car I posted earlier in the thread- the Crypton Engineering car that took in a couple of rounds in 1990 for Amato Ferrari, seen here sitting in the rain in the paddock at Brands before its' BTCC debut at the F3000 meeting- a DNF here, followed by 5th at Birmingham a couple of weeks later
Attached Thumbnails
ECM don 88.jpg   ferrari brands paddock.jpg  

Last edited by KA; 6 Jun 2008 at 06:24. Reason: forgot to attach the pics....
Old 6 Jun 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2221147)   #236
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
Here's some pics i found of Brancatelli on F1 rejects.
http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/bra...tm-unknown.jpg
http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/bra...wellington.jpg
Did'nt he win the final race of 88 btcc?
Old 6 Jun 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2221149)   #237
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes he did, by some margin once Rouse conked out I think? Branca was one of the stars of 80's touring cars, fantastic in the Eggenberger 635 in 84 and the Volvo's but didn't get the right breaks with TWR....
Old 6 Jun 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2221456)   #238
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Yes he did, by some margin once Rouse conked out I think? Branca was one of the stars of 80's touring cars, fantastic in the Eggenberger 635 in 84 and the Volvo's but didn't get the right breaks with TWR....
Rejoined after pitting and finished 10th. Puncture?
Old 6 Jun 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2221555)   #239
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a Group A Andy Rouse Engineering RS500 for sale on Pistonheads at the moment. Note, I've not linked to Pistonheads here as its against the forum rules, but there are some pictures on Flickr. It'd be interesting to know the history of it.

Group A RS500
Old 6 Jun 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2221569)   #240
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
Iam no expert but i dont think thats a genuine Rouse RS500, it might be a Rouse shell but i think its been built up with various bits & bobs. It does'nt have centre lock wheels i think Rouse cars did.
Iam sure someone will correct me if iam wrong.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2221898)   #241
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the ad they said it was a Rouse shell, so I imagine that's probably the extent of it.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2221901)   #242
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
I've seen this car or one that lookslike it for sale a while ago, earlier this year i think.
I wonder if this shell was new when this was built, or had it been used if it had it might have a intresting history.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2221907)   #243
davyboy
Veteran

In Autosport they said that ARE built 30 Group A cars. Creation of a Group A shell is probably the messiest part of building a Group A car, so I imagine that few would have remained unused. They claim in the ad that this is a genuine ARE Group A shell, so I would imagine it has some history. It'd be interesting to find out for sure.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2221908)   #244
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pulled into my local Tesco filling station yesterday and at the pump in front was road going car in virtually full Group A trim,white with gold BBS split rim wheels and full cage.Short conversation followed ,car has 571 bhp and has neat methanol added to the fuel mix.Gave me a bit of a display on the road going past the station,awesome,took me right back to the good old days of the BTCC and world and Euro touring cars.There is nothing as spectacular to watch in todays rather tame,sanitised racing!!!
Old 29 Jun 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2239751)   #245
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/viewli...php?view=17786

Appears to be a cosworth/RS500 press car built by DPR for Rouse.
Old 5 Jul 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2244722)   #246
COSSIERACER
Rookie

COSSIERACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a long shot but does anybody have any bbs eggenberger centre lock rims ?lurking in there old sheds , i need a few to complete a resto on an eggenberger car
cheers
Old 12 Jul 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2249787)   #247
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
http://motorsports.fotopic.net/p51877526.html

Does anyone know the history/story with this, is it a real one thats been fitted with a Thunder saloon bodykit? Or one thats been painted to looklike a genuine Labatts RS500?
Old 12 Jul 2008, 20:17 (Ref:2249816)   #248
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it is indeed a genuine RS500 which was run by laurance bristow and then he had it converted to thunder saloon spec as seen today at goodwood.the car is owned by a fellow ten-tenther martinlabatts.the car has run in a number of rounds in the dunlop motorsport news saloon car championship driven by greg rose who was behind the wheel today.we tried to play up to the crowd in the first run today but the super grippy 13" wide rear rubber just stuck so no big smoke out so the second run greg just floored it on the straight out side goodwood house and it just took off,but he was under orders not to bend it !!!
Old 13 Jul 2008, 05:37 (Ref:2249959)   #249
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
Thanks for info woody, fantastic looking car i always liked the look of the Thunder saloon sierras.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2270823)   #250
Wireless
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Wireless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely awesome thread guys, please keep it up. Regards the queries about the Eggenberger cars, PM me, I might be able to help.

Tags
andrew miedecke, andy rouse, atcc, btcc, colin bond, dick johnson, dtm, eggenberger, ford sierra rs500, graham goode racing, group a, peter brock, trakstar, wtcc