Old 8 Aug 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1060388)   #226
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
As for pride and honour where Honda are concerned - tell that to Frank Williams!
The word "Judd" come to mind when thinking of Honda pride and honour, also something about what goes around comes around!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 11:38 (Ref:1060923)   #227
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm one person who would love to see Jenson Button and Mark Webber team up at Williams. It's a very good driver pairing, which i believe will strengthen if they complement each other.

However, while Webber's move to Williams from Jaguar is more expected and accepted, as it's clear right from the start of the season that Webber would leave if Jaguar underperform, as stated in the contract.... I must say i'm very disappointed in the situation at which Jenson Button made the switch, and very disappointed in Button as well as his management for sparking off such an ugly situation.

There's no doubt that time is limited, and for personal reasons and ambitions, Button would want to make a choice that's best for his future.

But unfortunately, he, or rather his agents, made a mess out of the situation, and look set to undo all the positive image Button had build up over the season.

If the situation worsen, it may be a black spot on Jenson's refreshed image. But worse, is that Button disregarded all the faith and hope and investment DR and BAR made for Jenson.

I understand his ambitious to move to a team which he believes give him greater chance of WDC, but disapprove the way he betrayed the support and opportunities given to him by DR, and more importantly, the hundreds of people working behind him. It's clear that in BAR, the team and Honda held Button in high regards, and Button/DR relationship looked so cosy until this thing happened.

Button came out of Renault with bad press and on the back foot. BAR gave him the chance to prove himself and make him a wanted and desired driver once again. But to just have his agent dig hard just to find a loophole to let Button sneak out of a contract is nothing short of shameful.

No matter what happens, the relationship is tarnished for good. It would never be the same again..and it's unfortunate to see such a wrangle between these two.

Williams may earn themselves 2 good drivers for next season, but it's unfortunate that they got Button through such a manner.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1060938)   #228
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Couldn't have put it better myself Gt_R.

After watching the interview Jenson did on ITV, i can understand his reasoning for wanting to switch, but the way it has been done has been very bad.

Jenson has ruined some of the reputation he has worked so hard to achieve, i just hope that other team owners haven't been watching all this and thinking that they won't touch him in future.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1061035)   #229
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Generally I have to agree with the above except there are stories about missed payments etc. So we can't be certain that the BAR fold is all sweetness and light.

Have to wait a bit longer before we can really judge the behaviour.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1061041)   #230
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do we have to judge the behaviour?

It's essentially nothing to do with us!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1061046)   #231
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People can express disappointment in what they percieve to be bad behaviour can't they?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1061050)   #232
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.

I was just interested in the idea of how much it matters or otherwise to Jenson what public opinion is.

Particularly when, as you say, it's based on something less than the full facts.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1061057)   #233
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The story completely blew me sideways as I heard of it for the first time whilst munching on a great breakfast at a service station on the M1. BUTTON SIGNS FOR WILLIAMS was the headline and I felt completely in shock! There must be more to this than meets the eye, as all seemed very rosy at the German GP. I know Button and Frank are close friends, and FW holds Jenson in the highest regard, but I’m surprised that JB has moved after this amazing season, where he’s lying a comfortable 3rd in the World Championship and has been the most consistent top 3 runner outside the Ferrari’s.

It simply doesn’t make sense unless BMW and Williams have pulled off one of the greatest sales-pitches of modern times and have informed him of all sorts of interesting developments that we don’t know about as yet?

BAR were built around him and the whole BAR brand was practically one huge promotion of JB.

If there has been some niggly contractual payment issues, or some other disagreement we don’t know of, then that would make more sense.

I know Williams are a guaranteed top team, but surely it’s a big risk putting himself up against Mark – but maybe that’s part of the attraction? If he beats Mark his stock will go up even higher!

Seeing JB battling in a Williams BMW at the front of the field will be a great sight. There are some VERY strong driver line-ups for 2005 – Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Renault and Toyota (if they do sign Trulli!) will have some awesome drivers! Then, lets see who BAR can land – that is one hell of a seat now!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1061185)   #234
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spider i think its called confidence in your ability, everyone thought JV murder button in BAR but look what happened!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1061200)   #235
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fantasy GP610
Looks as if JB is going to Williams and DR is not going to dispute it in the courts.

I apologize for my rather fast assumption there
Old 10 Aug 2004, 10:16 (Ref:1061938)   #236
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Button and Webber are very well matched, and being at Williams is a very interesting situation.

How bad is BAR a team? On current standings, BAR is performing on par with Williams. With Honda's extended backing...BAR looks set for a strong future. Probably, on current trend, Williams have a deeper pocket and larger pool of resources and personnels..but Honda and some solid sponsorship means BAR doesnt lack the potential to succeed, as they have shown this year.

BAR has a solid foundation, and while Williams may look like a safer route to WDC (being the classical top 3), Mclaren and Williams have shown in recent years that things cannot be taken for granted.

And further more, which achievement is much more appealing? leading a team BAR to their first win and first WDC/WCC and bring Honda back to their winning ways , while remaining the star driver of Honda backed team ... or to win another WDC/WCC for Williams (nothing as impressive com[ared to a similar bid in BAR) while having to share the show with Webber?

But i think as much as i disapprove the manner the various parties have gone about handling the situation, i think it is important to understand the decision making. Hopefully, Button made a wise move and not have it backfire on himself.

But IMO, unless the matter is clarified otherwise as BAR's fault, i'm starting to question the intergrity of Button n his agent.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1061976)   #237
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loathe as I am to discuss drivers contracts, its all a bit of a yawn really isn't it? I came across a statement from Ecclestone in which he implied that should Buttons management team Essentially Sport be found guilty of "dodgy dealings" in this rather tawdry affair by the F1 contract board in Geneva, his superlicence will be withdrawn forthwith giving him plenty of time to contemplate his actions presumably. Please forgive me if someone else has made this point but I couldnt be arsed to go trawling thru acres of contractual pontificating, albeit rivetting stuff I'm sure.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1061982)   #238
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
And further more, which achievement is much more appealing? leading a team BAR to their first win and first WDC/WCC and bring Honda back to their winning ways , while remaining the star driver of Honda backed team ... or to win another WDC/WCC for Williams (nothing as impressive com[ared to a similar bid in BAR) while having to share the show with Webber?
Well BMW have never won the WCC and have only once won the WDC and that was 21 years ago, so I don't think you can say a world championship would mean more if he did it in a BAR-Honda!
Also BMW have signed with Williams for another 5 years, while Honda have 3 with BAR, if its a very long term view we are looking at!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1061998)   #239
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
CRB ACKNOWLEDGES REGISTRATION OF B*A*R BUTTON CONTRACT

The FIA Contract Recognition Board acknowledged, in writing, that, as of today, the B*A*R Contract with Jenson Button is the only valid contract registered for the 2005 season.

A driver's "super license" - his right to drive in Formula 1 - is only valid if his contract has been lodged with and registered by the CRB and all driver contracts contain a provision submitting all priority disputes to the CRB.

The CRB was established in 1992 to regulate driver contracts and resolve priority disputes where a driver enters into a new contract with a Formula 1 team when a clearly established and registered contract is already in existence. The purpose of the CRB is to enforce driver contracts and provide a swift international resolution to conflicts which if channelled through national legal systems could be drawn-out and could result in a wholly inappropriate remedy for the innocent party and for the sport as a whole.

All signatories to the Concorde Agreement are bound by the procedures of the CRB which requires any new driver contract to be registered 'forthwith' i.e. immediately, and without delay, in order to establish its validity.

B*A*R has willingly submitted itself to this process which is final and binding on all parties.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1062011)   #240
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for that Liz. Crickey eh? This has been brought up in a new thread and I think it is probably best if we start over there. oily oaf may read it all if it is shorter

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=58123

Closed.