Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 3 Nov 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3162082)   #226
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have you considered going around the design and hiding the "construction lines"

It gives a neater overall finish
Old 4 Nov 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3162230)   #227
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah but when I put elevation into a track ive usually doubled or sometimes tripled the amount of time I'd put into a flat track, especially this one since ive made two elevated corners whicb take a lot longer than straights, so i tend to try and get it up on here as quickly as possible so sometimes I have missed something out by mistake or have seen something later that i should have done.

Anyway, what do you think of the layout?
Old 4 Nov 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3162577)   #228
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The shortest version I don't particularly like I'm afraid, 9 corners of which I'd consider 3 hairpins, another 2 of considerably more than 90 degrees and a 90 degree corner make it much too fiddly. Even that type of corner count on a 3 1/2 mile circuit might be too much for some.

Using the longer first section, I like the start of it, open and fast, but I feel the infield is a little too busy, I think I'd either have taken the ifield closer the the front straight and had it join the shorter circuit earlier, perhaps making the short circuit's T3 into the second part of an esses or chicane. Or perhaps just straight line joining onto the straight into the infield hairpin, which would then run out into the second extension.

I can see what your trying to do with it, but as mentioned above in places the construction lines draw the eye away from the layout.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3164931)   #229
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
November 1 2012

There's too many layouts in this one to list so there's a diagram with the lengths included with the usual pics. All layouts clockwise, no elevation
Attached Thumbnails
101112 1.jpg   101112 2.jpg   101112 3.jpg  

101112 layouts.jpg  
Old 11 Nov 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3165090)   #230
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The Iceland track looks very good. The only things that I note on it are that i think the Turn 1 hairpin could maybe do to be just a bit more open, and then you could realign the run to Turn 2 just slightly to accommodate. The other thing is the penultimate corner, which with it sitting right there by the final, long curve, looks a tad too angular. Maybe move the apex toward the inside of the corner to make those final two turns flow together better.

The track after that (Oct. 2) looks pretty good as well. Again, two things about this one. I'm not sure about doing the first two turns like that, I must say. I'm concerned that the Turn 1 kink/bend will cut off overtaking maneuvers heading into the much more pronounced Turn 2. Also, that final, four-turn complex to end the lap just seems out of place compared to the rest of the track. It looks like a bit of an afterthought. I think there should be something in the lower left corner to finish out the lap, but it ought to flow/fit better with the rest of the circuit.

This latest circuit doesn't do it for me so much. Your attempt to combine more flowing corners, and some rather angular-looking ones, hasn't worked out so well in this case, at least to my eyes. That whole complex and series of variants in the upper right just looks messy. Finally, the track simply seems out of balance, with that relatively spindly bit snaking up on the left side, countered by that huge mass across the bottom and up the right side. BTW, I would expect the bikes to actually use that more parabolic corner in the upper right, as opposed to those harsher kinks.

I like a number of the corners and corner sequences in this latest one; I just don't think it all fits together to make a pleasing whole.

And just so you know, I have overall very positive feelings towards four of your last six designs. So, you're doing quite well in my book.

Last edited by Purist; 11 Nov 2012 at 06:25.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3222435)   #231
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Had this one in the vault for a while and i've finally decided to post it here. All layouts clockwise. Lengths in the diagram. Width 13m except T16 18m-29m. No elevation.
Attached Thumbnails
090313 GP 1.jpg   090313 GP 2.jpg   090313 GP 3.jpg  

090313 GP 4.jpg   030313 guide.jpg  

Last edited by SpeedingTortoise; 21 Mar 2013 at 19:54.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 11:01 (Ref:3222646)   #232
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks very good.
My only grudge is the length. I'd say it could be dialed up a bit. The longest possible track is barely longer than 5 kilometers. That would mean the longest straigts are a couple of hundred meters long - not ideal to gather speed for exciting overtaking action at the end. I'd say it could easily be be about 25% larger. That would put the longest variation to about 6 and a quarter kilometers - about ideal, imho.

But, apart from that, I see no problem here.

bio
Old 22 Mar 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3222651)   #233
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Oh, one more question: where do you put the paddocks bridge? The only way to get the vehicles in the paddocks over the track, as I see it, is over the section "above" the paddocks, where the road would have to lead between the gravel pits and those two stands - barely enough space there (though not impossible). I'd say it would be much more convenient to shorten that gravel trap a bit at the end of the back straight (the long one that runs almost vertically, on the right hand edge of the image) and move the stand after it a bit further away - or get rid of it completely. That would leave enough room for the road to comfortably negotiate the bridge (assuming the bridge indeed passes the track there - but that's the only place it can be placed so it doesn't have to go over a stand or gravel pits).

But that's really a minor issue.

bio
Old 22 Mar 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3222907)   #234
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
The straights are quite short, the longest straight (T16-T17) is only 457m. However the longest distance between two braking zones (exit of T2-T6 (no chicane)) is 771m with the second longest (T17-T2) 757m. Think of this track like Imola, lots of short straights separated by equally fast corners.

I would prefer to put a tunnel for padock access underneath T2 because a bridge would obstruct the view for spectators. If a bridge had to be built then i would have it over T17 reminding me of Sebring
Old 22 Mar 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3222938)   #235
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
To be honest I don't see a need for the chicane top left, I don't see T5 as being fast enough to merit an alternative.

For Motorbikes running the GP layout, the left side of the tyre is going to be stone cold, by the time they reach the first serious left hander which is the infield.

I have to add that I don't like the varying width of the penultimate corner. the track width at the apex looks very narrow (although probably the standard width around the rest of the circuit), so no matter what line of approach it'll still bottleneck.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3223273)   #236
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I have to add that I don't like the varying width of the penultimate corner. the track width at the apex looks very narrow (although probably the standard width around the rest of the circuit), so no matter what line of approach it'll still bottleneck.
The track width at apex is 18m with the entry at its widest 23m and exit 29m. It is designed like that so that different entries and exits can be taken into the corner and encourage overtaking. The driver can enter from the outside, hit the apex and get on the power sooner at the cost of a slower apex speed. The driver can also choose to go on the inside, hit the apex at a higher speed but have to use the extra track width and compromise his exit. This allows drivers to try an overtake although the overtaken driver now has the advantage as he has a better exit for the straight.
Attached Thumbnails
T1L6ines.jpg  
Old 23 Mar 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3223281)   #237
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can not imagine turns 1 and 5 being flat out. What are the radiuses of those corners? You could compare them with the tightest corners in the real world that can be taken flat out, and see if they are wide enough. Corners that could be a benchmark are copse at Silverstone, turn 10 at Istanbul, Curva Grande at Monza etc.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3226114)   #238
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
There's too many layouts in this one to list so there's a diagram with the lengths included with the usual pics. All layouts clockwise, no elevation
Conceptually, this one reminds me very much of one of my own old tracks, "Sands" as can be seen in the "Opening My Archive" thread, because it's also like a rectangular triangle with an added bit to the sharp angled corner.
Actually, I'm surprised it took so long for another designer to come up with a good track of a similar blot shape. Thanks for posting this one.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3226164)   #239
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Wow, almost the exact same track made 7 years before mine!!!

Quote:

http://tentenths.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1352569897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Sands is a permanent racetrack on a site that formerly used to be an airfield. It is the home of the OtherWorld(ly) Series' Australian Grand Prix. Its length is 6.1 kilometers.

Click to view it here: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...g/b14b1f88.jpg

History:
This airfield, located in close distance to a beautiful beach in south-eastern Australia (hence the name Sands) was transformed into a permanent racetrack at some time in the 1970s. It had hosted salon car races in various nonpermanent layouts even before that. The OtherWorld(ly) Series arrived in Australia in the 1980s and picked this track as its venue for the Australian Grand Prix, which it has hosted ever since. Back then, the chicane in the northwestern part of the circuit was introduced. I first drew this track in one of my initial sessions in 1991, so it's one of my very first tracks. The graphic shown under the link is a recent redrawing, which should explain the different color scheme. Sands is also the home of some motorbike racing events, which take place on a layout that's slightly different from the Grand Prix Course.

Lap description:
The track runs anticlockwise and is relatively flat, as is common for airfield circuits. At the end of the long start-finish straight, there is a wide hairpin-shaped right-hand corner, Turn 1 (2nd gear), making up the first and most important overtaking opportunity of Sands. The short circuit of the track continues straight ahead, but the Grand Prix track takes Turn 1 and reverses its direction. Next is a short straight piece of track, after which follows a wide left-right combination, Turn 2 and 3 (both in 4th gear) with another straight bit in between. After yet another short straight bit, cars go through a 90 degree right-hander, Turn 5 (3rd gear) and after that turn left into the subsequent 90 degree left-hander Turn 6 (3rd gear) that opens up on its exit into the wide Turn 7 (5th gear on exit), through which they accelerate onto the next straight. The section from Turn 2 to Turn 6 can be bypassed, going straight ahead at Turn 2, but the motorcycle track follows the Grand Prix track around this section.
At the end of the southern straight that comes after Turn 7, the 1st sector times are being taken, right before cars turn right into an S. Turn 8 (4th gear, 5th gear for some) is the first part of the S, and the subsequent left-hander Turn 9 (3rd gear, 4th gear for some) that goes around almost 180 degrees, is the 2nd part of said S, leading out onto the next straight.
At the end of that straight, there is a Z-shaped combination, of which the Grand Prix track takes the tighter version than the motorbike track does, so cars need to shift as far down as 2nd gear into Turn 10. The 2nd part of the Z, Turn 11 is also taken in 2nd gear, but cars accelerate out of here for the longest full throttle passage on the entire circuit, that's up next. But before we come to that, let me add that the short layout of the Sands circuit, which split away from the Grand Prix track in Turn 1, rejoins it at the entry of the Z-curve, and takes a sharp left, after having gone straight through the motorbike layout of the Z-curve.
OK, so cars are now through Turn 11 and accelerating all the way through the left-hand bow that is Turn 12 onto the longest straight of the track, which regularly sets the scene for exciting slipstream duels between drivers. Having passed the speed trap and the 2nd sector timing at the end of the straight, they brake for the wide left-hander Turn 13 (5th gear on entry), during which they must continue to slow down for the rectangular chicane that follows just after it. Overtaking is possible here, but it's a bit tricky. The chicane, Turns 14 to 17 (all 2nd gear) is square shaped, and was installed there by the organisers of the OtherWorld(ly) Series for the novelty effect of having a chicane just after a fast corner, instead of what's usually done. The motorbike track bypasses the chicane, rejoining the Grand Prix track on the next straight, at the end of which there is the next point where you can try to overtake under braking, the final left-hander Turn 18 (4th gear).
Once drivers are through here and have clocked in their 3rd sector times on the s/f line, they have completed a lap of Sands.

Last edited by SpeedingTortoise; 28 Mar 2013 at 21:06. Reason: Added my track in quote
Old 14 Apr 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3233986)   #240
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Brecon Beacons Raceway

Based somewhere in Wales, I've tried to create a track that has all of its elevation in the corners. Because of this, I decided not to make 3D barriers due to time however the tracks run-offs are still shown.

GP 3.76mi / Chicane 3.79mi Clockwise
Elevation Highest-Lowest 30m S/F-T3 30m T7-T8 15m T11-T12-T13 6.7m
Attached Thumbnails
Brecon1.jpg   brecon 2.jpg   brecon 3.jpg  

brecon T4.jpg   brecon 4.jpg   brecon Ts.jpg  

Old 16 Apr 2013, 08:17 (Ref:3235117)   #241
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. Great effort. How long did it take you to create this? My favorite corners are the turns 3 and 4 combo. It's almost like the corkskrew, but has also the crested blind turn 2-exit right in front of it. A big challenge.

Thumbs up!
Old 16 Apr 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3235230)   #242
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
It took me about 15-20 hours over 2 weeks to make all of it. If i had made the barriers it would probably be closer to 25hrs.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3235431)   #243
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
You should get back on BTB again, mate.

Would love to drive some of these. Perhaps i'll make some of yours again, if you want?

Shame I lost that old one I made for you. I remember that being pretty damn cool to drive.

Selby
Old 23 Apr 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3238409)   #244
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great track for all purposes except F1. I wonder would it be better for IndyCars than Sonoma?

The flow is excellent, though.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3238416)   #245
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
A great track for all purposes except F1. I wonder would it be better for IndyCars than Sonoma?

The flow is excellent, though.
I think Indycars would work well here but I think its perfect for endurance racing.

Just wondering, what is it about it that make it unsuitable for F1?
Old 23 Apr 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3238437)   #246
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Downloaed a demo of BTB and made this. Very basic so if anyone wants to finish it then message me as I probably wont get round to doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZJA...ature=youtu.be
Old 23 Apr 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3238537)   #247
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Looks to have a very good rythm! Care to drop a trackline map for us?

bio

PS: Strange... first it seemed to be a bit too busy a track - but rewatched it seems it has like 15-16 turns, which is absolutely fine for a circa 1:40 track.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3260629)   #248
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I may just have to create this one on BTB.

Watch this space.

Selby
Old 11 Jun 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3261142)   #249
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Yeh, so this track is going really, really well thus far.

I've even managed to include all the different layouts! And it's actually linked up all quite nicely.

I've had a quick spin of it and it all seems to work great. Just need to build all the run-off/grandstands/pits etc now.

Selby
Old 11 Jun 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3261153)   #250
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Nice one! Looking forward to seeing it.

Whats it like to drive?